The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Temporary low nut fix? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555937)

JackB1 08-26-2019 02:37 PM

Temporary low nut fix?

Hey all.....got a J45 and the high open E buzzes and it appears to be a too low nut slot for that string. No other issues. I ordered a new nut but can't have it fixed for 2 weeks. Anything I can do in the meanwhile so I can play it without that buzzy high E open string? I know I can capo at fret 1, but that's not the greatest option.

thanks

mirwa 08-26-2019 05:48 PM

Put a drop of superglue into the slot, let it dry, apply more as required, you can also add baking soda, bone dust or what have you to make the build material a bit more dense.

Steve

Paddy1951 08-26-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6147074)
Put a drop of superglue into the slot, let it dry, apply more as required, you can also add baking soda, bone dust or what have you to make the build material a bit more dense.

Steve

Yes, do this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

JackB1 08-27-2019 07:35 AM

This sounds easy, but is it really? Also can it be done on a Graphtek nut?
I thought you have to file it down after putting in the mixture? I don't have nut files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6147074)

Steve

John Arnold 08-27-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Also can it be done on a Graphtek nut?
Not in my experience.

Remove the nut and install a shim underneath. Since it is the first string only, a thin piece of paper or credit card can be inserted on the treble end. The nut does not require full contact on the bottom all the way across, but support on the ends will keep it from rocking.

Carey 08-27-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Arnold (Post 6147907)
Not in my experience.

Remove the nut and install a shim underneath. Since it is the first string only, a thin piece of paper or credit card can be inserted on the treble end. The nut does not require full contact on the bottom all the way across, but support on the ends will keep it from rocking.

I often use a piece of piece business card laminated to the bottom of the nut with CA. If there's a difference in sound relative to bone only, I can't hear it,
and it's less work than making a new nut when only one string is low (as usually happens).

packocrayons 09-04-2019 06:04 AM

Why not just paper in the nut slot? Only requires loosening/sliding the E string to the side and it's the most reversible/non-invasive.

pf400 09-05-2019 08:23 AM

The superglue plus baking soda is a classic but be aware that it hardens to the point that you need to file it smooth a bit. I'm planning to try this on the G string of my nylon string guitar and using something like a coin or knife to file down the filling.

JackB1 09-05-2019 09:19 AM

The baking soda/superglue fix is fine, but not everyone has nut files and knows how to file it down properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf400 (Post 6154834)
The superglue plus baking soda is a classic but be aware that it hardens to the point that you need to file it smooth a bit. I'm planning to try this on the G string of my nylon string guitar and using something like a coin or knife to file down the filling.

nickv6 09-05-2019 09:53 AM

For a temporary repair that will only take a couple of minutes (the superglue route can take hours to get nice), just cut slivers of paper or preferably micropore tape and line the slot till you're happy. Non invasive, easy adjustment. Simples!
Nick

JackB1 09-05-2019 10:10 AM

Why is micropore tape preferable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickv6 (Post 6154948)
For a temporary repair that will only take a couple of minutes (the superglue route can take hours to get nice), just cut slivers of paper or preferably micropore tape and line the slot till you're happy. Non invasive, easy adjustment. Simples!
Nick

Edgar Poe 09-05-2019 10:32 AM

I didn't see anyone mention to NOT do this with the nut on the neck of the guitar. If you get SG behind the nut you could lose a portion of the fretboard wood when you remove it to change to the new nut. Carefully put the nut in a small vise. Then do the repair.

Ed

nickv6 09-05-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6154966)
Why is micropore tape preferable?

Its thin and sticky on one side so stays where you put it. Also it comes off beautifully leaving nothing nasty. You can cut very thin slices and form a v in the nut slot. You can easily add layers until it's the perfect height.. if you just use paper it can all fall about if you need more than one layer, then you're trying to hold it in place while you get the string in. Then if you change strings you have to redo it....and so on.
Actually micropore can be permanent repair if, like me, you're lazy :)
Nick

phcorrigan 09-05-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6147408)
This sounds easy, but is it really? Also can it be done on a Graphtek nut?
I thought you have to file it down after putting in the mixture? I don't have nut files.

If you have a Lowes nearby they likely stock these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-T...r-Kit/50021986

They are commonly sold online as nut files, and they work to a degree. Not like real nut files, but the set doesn't cost $100 either.

BTW, the CA glue (super glue) and baking soda trick works quite well. Use a thin CA (I think the stuff sold as Super Glue/Crazy Glue is thin), and mask the fingerboard, head stock, and the parts of the nut that you want to avoid gluing.

madhat 09-09-2019 06:24 AM

the answer is BLUFIXX!

I just raised the low E slot on my L-00 this morning.

I purchased a BLUFIXX pen and a cheap set of nut files- ($27. on amazon.)
was done in like 20 minutes- maybe less... and it is perfect!

A very small drop of the BLUFIXX glue and shine the LED light on it for about 20 seconds and the slot is filled and hardened ready to fill to preferred height. best of all no mess! it is not sticky like SG.

all the best
madhat.