The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burner #10 - Remembering My Brother Kenny (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177954)

cpabolting 03-04-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2147745)
Very nice, even cleaner :)

This guitar is going to be very cool....kind of a throwback to the beachboys/surf wagon/longboard days.

Glennwillow 03-06-2010 05:06 PM

Keith,

I will be very interested to follow this guitar build. Thank you for sharing your story of loss and remembrance. We'll be with you and Burner Guitars.

Best regards, Glenn

cpabolting 03-07-2010 06:20 AM

I am talking with the Burners of doing some sort of surf/ocean themed rosette out of wood....something kind of different and not too flashy...made of natural materials..

I really liked the rosette in this build, but would like to make it our own with our surfing theme incorporated into it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...r/IMG_0061.jpg

hnuuhiwa 03-07-2010 12:04 PM

Keith...Steve (Edwinson Guitars) explained in the build thread how he made this rosette. I'm thinking that if you and Paul/Kyle come up with a design that might be a bit to intricate for them to do, perhaps you folks can contact Steve and see if he can make the rosette.

I can't wait to see what you folks come up with, as I've had two ocean themed guitars (not surf themed though), one was my Stehr with Orcas swimming up the fret board into the headstock and the other is my Brunner with two dolphins playing in the surf under a Gold MOP sun.

Aloha,

Hen

cpabolting 03-07-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa (Post 2152393)
Keith...Steve (Edwinson Guitars) explained in the build thread how he made this rosette. I'm thinking that if you and Paul/Kyle come up with a design that might be a bit to intricate for them to do, perhaps you folks can contact Steve and see if he can make the rosette.

I can't wait to see what you folks come up with, as I've had two ocean themed guitars (not surf themed though), one was my Stehr with Orcas swimming up the fret board into the headstock and the other is my Brunner with two dolphins playing in the surf under a Gold MOP sun.

Aloha,

Hen

I liked the use of the natural materials, but am thinking something not so detailed. I am talking about it with the Burners, so it we will look at it from a number of perspectives.

songsender 03-08-2010 08:19 AM

The majority of the wood was ordered today.

The build will most likely begin in June as we are finishing up some other projects right now.

Looking forward to this.

I'll lay out all the pieces when they come in and will post some photos.

cpabolting 03-08-2010 12:24 PM

I am looking forward to it!

SteveS 03-08-2010 12:30 PM

Keith and Paul,
This is a great thing you guys are doing!
I built a guitar for a guy that was dedicated to his grandfather. We put a likeness of him on the headstock. Everyone thought it came out nice - grandmother, sons and daughters etc. They thought we captured his likeness.
If you'd like some help with that please let me know.

cpabolting 03-08-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2153480)
Keith and Paul,
This is a great thing you guys are doing!
I built a guitar for a guy that was dedicated to his grandfather. We put a likeness of him on the headstock. Everyone thought it came out nice - grandmother, sons and daughters etc. They thought we captured his likeness.
If you'd like some help with that please let me know.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the offer. We are working away on the concepts. Loved your innovative rosette design...I am usually into the heavily paua'd guitars...but this guitar is the opposite...from the earth we come and to the earth we go...and want to celebrate the earth's natural beauty with this one.

Keith

SteveS 03-08-2010 03:32 PM

Keith,
I'm talking about wood - no shell.

cpabolting 03-08-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2153691)
Keith,
I'm talking about wood - no shell.
This was mahogany on ebony.

I figured you did so with wood. When I was talking about the use of natural wood, it had nothing to do with your inlay of the image of someone, I was just commenting on how I wanted something different for this guitar. I was speaking of how I liked your rosette because it embraced the natural wood. We will do something different of course that the rosette you came up with, but I loved the used of the two woods, especially the spalted Maple. Beautiful!

Maybe we will call this one .......Endless Summer...or .......Last Wave.... two classic surf movies.

There are of course the other classic surf movies I could have chosen from...Slippery When Wet, Some Like It Wet, Bottoms Up, Hot Dog on a Stick, Gone with the Wave, Ride on the Wild Side, and the most famous, Midget goes Hawaiian. I think those might be a little out there.

jeastman 03-08-2010 04:13 PM

Well you could opt for your "Slippery When Wet" idea and play nothing but Bon Jovi. I got #013 coming so Paul suggested we call this build 'the Wonder' and I'll learn to play "Superstition".

Kyle Burner 03-08-2010 04:17 PM

haha love it. I will be at a bon jovi concert tomorrow night I can't wait.

cpabolting 03-08-2010 04:24 PM

Sounds like some nice adult themes, especially the Midget goes Hawaiian, or maybe it is Midget does Hawaiian, or maybe Midget does Hawaii.

jeastman 03-08-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpabolting (Post 2153787)
Sounds like some nice adult themes, especially the Midget goes Hawaiian, or maybe it is Midget does Hawaiian, or maybe Midget does Hawaii.

And here I was commenting on how it was going to be so nice and clean...now I feel like I need a shower.