The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burner #10 - Remembering My Brother Kenny (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177954)

cpabolting 02-28-2010 05:54 AM

Thanks for all the great and kind comments.

Will be interesting to see how creative the Burners can be in embracing this theme.

K III 03-01-2010 09:27 AM

I guess they will be proud making it to your signature. That's as if I was playing hockey with the Canadian National team :D:D:D

songsender 03-01-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K III (Post 2144716)
I guess they will be proud making it to your signature. That's as if I was playing hockey with the Canadian National team :D:D:D

Is there a "puck boy" in hockey????

LOL

cpabolting 03-01-2010 03:18 PM

I am thinking we need to move the start date up substantially....so very soon. The deposit check went today...there should be a commencement of construction that ties in with disbursement of funds!

We all want to see what you guys can do! Talk about an open invitation to creativity!

kyee 03-01-2010 03:29 PM

I have not previously heard of Burner Guitars. I look forward to your upcoming build Keith. Sorry to hear of the circumstances that led to it's creation, though.

songsender 03-01-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpabolting (Post 2145202)
I am thinking we need to move the start date up substantially....so very soon. The deposit check went today...there should be a commencement of construction that ties in with disbursement of funds!

We all want to see what you guys can do! Talk about an open invitation to creativity!

You know, these silly day jobs sure get in the way of building guitars. I'd take a leave-of-absence - but I'm a one person graphic design company - and that would just put a big dent in the vacation fund - and we can't have THAT!

We are working with Keith on the selection of all woods - and hope to have them all purchased by the end of this week.

Woods will arrive and then acclimate to our climate/humidity. The build will begin very soon.

We have one guitar that should be shipping this week or next (hopefully) and are in the midst of two more guitars. Shooting to start Keith's project around the first of June.

cpabolting 03-02-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyee (Post 2145221)
I have not previously heard of Burner Guitars. I look forward to your upcoming build Keith. Sorry to hear of the circumstances that led to it's creation, though.

Neither had I! Well since my guitar will be the 10th they have built, probably most people haven't. My thought is to give those hungry startups a shot and see what they can do...supportive of the entreprenurial spirit.

hnuuhiwa 03-02-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyee (Post 2145221)

Hey Kevin,

Paul and Kyle have been around the forum for several years. If you search the archives you'll find the story of how Burner Guitars got started. It revolves around the health challenges Kevin Gallagher (Omega Guitars) had a few years back, and a personalized guitar building class that he held for Paul and Kyle as he was beginning to get better. Paul felt it was a great father and son activity for himself and Kyle (something I envied at the time...and still do).

The subsequent love of the craft that resulted from this mentoring by Kevin, led to several additional builds and the establishment of Burner Guitars.

Aloha,

Hen

P.S. - love your all Koa Ryan 12...what a beauty!

jeastman 03-02-2010 12:19 PM

Keith, if I hire you to do my taxes can I play your Olson's while I wait?

Fliss 03-02-2010 12:20 PM

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your story. I look forward to following the progress of your guitar.

Fliss

cpabolting 03-02-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2146288)
Keith, if I hire you to do my taxes can I play your Olson's while I wait?

Maybe if your tax return is REALLY complex i.e. translation - lots of fees.

drcmusic7 03-02-2010 07:34 PM

Keith, i'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my grandmother this past Christmas eve. It was a rough one for sure... I think this guitar is a brilliant idea and what a wonderful gesture. The woods you picked out certainly have the vibe you're going for. Again, i'm sorry for your loss.

I'm looking forward to watching the progress and please keep us posted of how it sounds. The Burner pictures look really beautiful and their prices are more than fair. Please keep us posted...

Kindly,
Danny

jeastman 03-03-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpabolting (Post 2142460)
Guys....

MS model, Serial number 10
Sinker redwood top
Myrtle Tiger back and sides
Koa bindings on body, fretboard and headstock...
Soundport....maybe surfboard shaped...
Old school wooden surfboard headstock inlay between the tuners may be cool...maybe out of Koa or something that stands out well in perhaps an ebony or darker wood headstock overlay.

So we will attempt to come up with a surfboard/ocean/nautical inlay thing....probably out of woods not paua....so very cool guitar theme.

Tell me the back and the front don't make you think of that old longboard! This is going to be a killer build guys.

Peace baby brother!

You need to grab some of that myrtle with the real 'flowing' figure and make the truss rod cover the board.

On a more serious note, I'll echo the others who have commented and say this is an amazing way to memorialize your brother. It reminds me of the quote "In life I was silent, in death I sing". I pray your brother has found his peace.

songsender 03-03-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 2147734)
You need to grab some of that myrtle with the real 'flowing' figure and make the truss rod cover the board.

Truss rod access will be from the sound hole on this guitar as on all our guitars. Leaves more room for a wonderful headstock design. :)

jeastman 03-03-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songsender (Post 2147740)
Truss rod access will be from the sound hole on this guitar as on all our guitars. Leaves more room for a wonderful headstock design. :)

Very nice, even cleaner :)