The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NVD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602973)

TBman 01-04-2021 08:21 AM

NVD

So my violin adventure begins. Its an electric violin starter kit from the Fiddleshhop. Hopefully I can figure out how to tune it without poking an eye out, :D

SpruceTop 01-04-2021 09:44 AM

Congratulations, Barry, on trying something new! I've thought about learning the fiddle but currently, I'm on a clawhammer banjo journey. Likely, as I've found with the banjo, you'll also find a fresh spark for the guitar between your fiddle sessions.

TBman 01-04-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6595298)
Congratulations, Barry, on trying something new! I've thought about learning the fiddle but currently, I'm on a clawhammer banjo journey. Likely, as I've found with the banjo, you'll also find a fresh spark for the guitar between your fiddle sessions.

Thanks ST!

Now its a matter of how long it will take for the rosin to break in right, lol.

I have to learn how to hold it properly. My fat fingers don't want to reach across to the 4th string, :D

Maryc-k 01-16-2021 03:52 PM

Take some lesson, even if it's only a few. there are plenty of on-line instructors. It's not an instrument that can be self taught.

TBman 01-20-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryc-k (Post 6606452)
Take some lesson, even if it's only a few. there are plenty of on-line instructors. It's not an instrument that can be self taught.

Thanks. I'm going to try anyway :)

SpruceTop 01-24-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6610167)
Thanks. I'm going to try anyway :)

I admire your spirit! I'm the same way no matter what I try! ;)

guitar george 01-27-2021 09:17 PM

Congratulations, that's a great endeavor. I've always liked violin/fiddle music - especially sad violin pieces. Is there an AVF you could join? (Acoustic Violin Forum)

rule18 01-27-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6595217)
So my violin adventure begins. Its an electric violin starter kit from the Fiddleshhop. Hopefully I can figure out how to tune it without poking an eye out, :D

Cool! If this helps, violin tuning is the same as mando, GDAE. My wife is a life-long pro cellist, there's a lot to unpack in your quest. Good luck!

TBman 01-27-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitar george (Post 6617405)
Congratulations, that's a great endeavor. I've always liked violin/fiddle music - especially sad violin pieces. Is there an AVF you could join? (Acoustic Violin Forum)

George, yes there is at Fiddle Talk on fiddlerman.com

I haven't really done much with it, just played around a couple of times so far. I'll start on it seriously soon. I have to learn how to hold the darn thing first without relying on my hands otherwise my fretting hand won't be able to move around freely. There's plenty of videos out there for beginners.

TRose 02-05-2021 08:34 AM

Barry,
That’s a cool looking instrument.
I, too, admire your spirit! Good luck with the journey.
Seeing this reminded me of a thread I saw soon after I joined the forum. Someone posed the question: “ Am I to old to learn to fingerpick?” They were in their mid thirties- if I remember correctly. I thought to myself how fortunate I was to have never thought to ask that question.[emoji3]
Let us know how it’s going!
All the best,
Tom