The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stephen Kinnaird 2021 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603069)

TomB'sox 01-15-2021 05:07 PM

I am in the lighter neck group with black and white inlays to play off the back wood. I have never been real found of the black necks, they always seem to stand out way too much for me and take away from the back woods whatever they may be.

I think the spalted Maple with black strip would be quite interesting.

Steve Kinnaird 01-15-2021 05:22 PM

All good ideas, guys. I like that you are thinking about this, which keeps me from doing all the heavy lifting. On a previous B&W ebony guitar we used some Alder, some Wenge, and some Maple, in a multi-lam format which ended up imitating some of the striping in the back. But this particular set is more free form in its appearance. The match if possible will end up being a color match.
The black neck is intriguing. I’ve only done that twice, maybe three times, and I like the look. Also very much like the idea of “bursting” the neck.

The binding will be ebony, which will of course pull out the black lines in the set.
And by the way, those inner and outer bands around the rosette are Zebrano.
We will be using this for top purfling as well for a unified,”woody” aesthetic. So already we have entertained the idea of a Zebrawood neck. Joel Stehr did one once which we liked, but of course the weight issues weighs on me. So to speak.

Thanks again,
Steve

mikealpine 01-15-2021 08:33 PM

Black matte/satin neck. Gloss might draw the eye more. I think with a more “dull” neck, you’ll get the visual impact with less distraction.

morgankelsey 01-15-2021 09:56 PM

I'd actually try mahogany, it would match those nice orangey browns in the middle of the back.

vanceen 01-16-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 6603818)

Wow!

What's the top? I can see it's spruce, but what kind?

vanceen 01-16-2021 11:38 AM

As for the neck, I think picking up on any color from the back would work. Not the figure, just one of the colors. That leaves a lot of room to maneuver. Could be light maple, could be very dark stained mahogony (not black, I'm thinking, but very dark, deep rich brown).

Steve Kinnaird 01-16-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanceen (Post 6606223)
Wow!

What's the top? I can see it's spruce, but what kind?

Vance, that’s Italian spruce.

Again, thanks all for the neck suggestions. I’d actually thought (like Morgan) that mahog would pick up that orangey section. But like Vance said, there’s a lot of color to choose from.

Nemoman 01-16-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealpine (Post 6605752)
Black matte/satin neck. Gloss might draw the eye more. I think with a more “dull” neck, you’ll get the visual impact with less distraction.

Not sure I agree now about the distraction part anyways...

I originally thought that as well and asked Mike for a satin finish neck, but he felt gloss would work better for the overall look. I'm so glad he did, because I love it!

https://i.imgur.com/m6nIAGB.jpg?1

SJ VanSandt 01-16-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6606325)

I like that a lot, and think it would work great on the guitar in question. Glossy would be my preference. I also like the idea of mahogany stained dark but not black.

TomB'sox 01-17-2021 07:37 AM

Ha, this is what is so hard about being a luthier or any other profession with choices aimed at pleasing someone. I love Nemoman, one of my favorite BIG guests as were you Stan, but I just do not like that black neck.

Funny, you two (and many others most likely) love it, and I do not.

Poor Steve and Ryan, what to do, what to do! :D:D:D

nootis 01-17-2021 01:00 PM

Now we're choosing sides... AGF gang warfare!

I love the black neck on Kevin's guitar. Looks sharp. I will say however, that I have both satin and gloss necks and satin necks are my preference. A very wise man recently told me, "there's no wrong answer here - just more future guitars."

Nemoman 01-17-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6606881)
I love Nemoman, one of my favorite BIG guests as were you Stan, but I just do not like that black neck.

Ah, Tom, me buddy, you're killing me! :D

But that's what it's all about--guitar diversity! We all get to have our likes and dislikes--and as long as they make beautiful music, the world is a happy place!

TomB'sox 01-17-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6607174)
Ah, Tom, me buddy, you're killing me! :D

But that's what it's all about--guitar diversity! We all get to have our likes and dislikes--and as long as they make beautiful music, the world is a happy place!

Exactly, anyone else and I would not have felt comfortable giving my opinion, what matters is you love it and indeed it makes beautiful music.

Steve Kinnaird 01-17-2021 10:30 PM

Ok, ok, we didn’t mean to start a brawl. ;)
The only solution I can see now is to build several necks for this guitar, and the owner can choose his/her favorite. They would need to be easily replaceable, and then could be used depending on mood? Or even wardrobe?

I do like the neck nemoman posted, in that the headstock looks to be floating off in a disembodied way. Almost.

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks again,

Steve

Guitars44me 01-17-2021 10:39 PM

No on the stained black neck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6606881)
Ha, this is what is so hard about being a luthier or any other profession with choices aimed at pleasing someone. I love Nemoman, one of my favorite BIG guests as were you Stan, but I just do not like that black neck.

Funny, you two (and many others most likely) love it, and I do not.

Poor Steve and Ryan, what to do, what to do! :D:D:D

I also am not fond of the black neck look. I had a McAlister with one and every little nick (I bought it used) just jumped out at me. I would prefer some natural wood(s). Just me...

I have no doubt Steve and Ryan will come up with something sweet!

Salud

Paul