The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Paddle shifters, yes, no, or who cares ?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476507)

rmyAddison 07-15-2017 12:01 PM

Paddle shifters, yes, no, or who cares ??

1 Attachment(s)
I like driving, had some nice sport coupes/sedans, and I like paddle shifters on the column, not on the wheel, had both, and really like the paddles on my Q50 RS400, big, magnesium, nicely placed.

How about you, does your car have them, do you use them, on the column or steering wheel, or could you care less....

Ozzy the dog 07-15-2017 12:21 PM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...1&d=1500141457
Don't know why but your picture made me think of Buzz Lightyear... 'To Infinity and beyond...'

My son has an Audi with paddles but I must admit, whenever I've driven it I haven't really tried them. Personally, I would rather have my automatic gearbox do everything for me. If I want to change gear I prefer gear lever (stick shift) and clutch. When that urge grabs me (which is less often than it used to be) I borrow my other son's Lotus.

RP 07-15-2017 12:25 PM

I have them on my CRV but don't use them....

HHP 07-15-2017 12:26 PM

Have them but don't use them much. Have accidentally dropped the shift into "sport" mode but the excitement was too much for me.

gjd100 07-15-2017 12:27 PM

Real men use a clutch :D

Seriously, I would opt for a normal stick/clutch. In the most likely event that it's not offered, I would get a plain ole' auto... i dont see the need for a "semi auto".

If it's standard equipment and I really liked the car, I guess I'd never use it. I'd never pay for "paddles" as an option.

Pitar 07-15-2017 01:25 PM

Not a fan of driving. The best part of that for me is leaving the vehicle. Otherwise, no, I'm not a driver in the conventional sense. I'm more of bothered passenger with a higher threshold for tolerance.

Don't know about anyone else here but my patience with humanity goes into a holding pattern the second I sit behind the wheel.

rlb9682 07-15-2017 01:28 PM

Nope. I have an automatic transmission for a reason, I don't want to be bothered with shifting of any type. If I did want to shift I'd have a manual or the paddles would be fun but not practical. Everyday use of the paddles with me and I'm sure they'd be broken in a week or less. :)

Denny B 07-15-2017 01:39 PM

Oh, No, No ,No...

I want my car to keep me cool, comfortable and get me around with as little physical effort on my part as possible...

The 6 speed automatic in my car is just my style... :)

Silurian 07-15-2017 02:04 PM

Manual gearbox for me.
Just done some Googling, in 2013 75% or cars sold in UK had a manual box compared to 7% in the US.

In the UK if you pass your driving test in an auto, you can only drive autos.

flaggerphil 07-15-2017 10:01 PM

None of my cars have paddle shifters, nor do I want them. However, my motorcycle (trike, in my old age) does have them and I love them for riding...especially since I dislocated and broke my left ankle a year and a half ago. Since then a motorcycle with a standard shift has become somewhat problematic.

As for cars...I drove standard shift cars from 1968 until around the mid '90s and loved it. That's when my legs started their downhill march and I have been driving automatic transmissions without apology ever since.

And air conditioning. And satellite radio. And power seats and windows. And leather. And a GPS. And automatic headlights. And cruise control.

Brucebubs 07-15-2017 11:14 PM

My Subaru XV has them on the steering wheel.
Tried them on the test drive 5 years ago but haven't touched them since.

Gasworker 07-16-2017 01:04 AM

I've had them in my last 2 vehicles. In my Dodge it was a slap stick and in my Ford they are on the wheel. I drive in pretty heavy traffic so I have a practicle use there plus it's something to do. They are also fun off the line but I am only racing myself these days.

1neeto 07-16-2017 02:01 AM

Had a G37S coupe that had the paddle shifters and I rarely used them. Each time I got into that car, I wish I bought the 6 speed manual instead, especially after trading a car with a 6 speed manual for it. Nothing connects you to the car more than 3 pedals and a stick shift. Paddle shifters is just a gimmick on cars with regular torque converter automatics because the response time is slow negating any performance advantages and downright killing the fun and making the thing pretty much pointless.

Now if the car has a dual clutch transmission (or gearbox for our U.K. peeps here) then, the paddle shifters can be fun, because the shifts will be instant, much quicker than a manual. This elevates the car's performance to a point no manual can match, which explains why most high end sport cars and exotics have pretty much abandoned the good ol manual in favor of the dual clutch with paddle shifters.

But still it's nowhere near as fun than a manual. I'll happily give up half a second off my 0-60 time for the joy of going through the gears myself with a stick and 3 pedals.

Ok rant over, as to answer the OP, I think I prefer the shifters on the steering wheel. My G37 had the same shifters from your picture, and I had to adjust my hand position if I needed to up or downshift through a sharp turn. With the shifters mounted on the steering wheel, with your hands at 9 and 3 o clock, the shifters are readily available without you having to reposition your hands when going through a sharp turn. There is a reason why F1 cars have the shifters mounted on the steering wheel and not on the column.

chitz 07-16-2017 06:45 AM

Call me crazy, but I like an automatic on the column with a bench seat.

Paddle shifters are for F1.

Bob Womack 07-16-2017 06:47 AM

I prefer to row the gearshift on the floor. My wife prefers to go full automatic. In between doesn't really interest either of us.

Bob