The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Reccommended Guitar Repair, Bay Area CA (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42583)

Josh 03-10-2004 03:53 PM

Reccommended Guitar Repair, Bay Area CA

To the Forum,

I'm wondering if anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area knows of any amazing guitar repair shops. My G string has had quite a dissonant ring to it for the past month or so. I've tried changing strings and checking intonation as best as I could, but have been unable to resolve the issue.

I guess my post is asking two things. First, has anyone had this issue? I'm playing an 814ce. If you attack the G string even slightly harder than "light" it has an overring. Second, as I asked before...any reccommendations for local repair shops?

Thanks for your help!

-Josh

jk717 03-10-2004 04:01 PM

I deal with GC in Concord. Recenty took my Ovation (also bought my Taylor there) in for repair because of buzzing on a few strings.
Turned out it needed a Truss Rod adjustment.
It sounds like new again!

Good work, fast turnaround ( a few days, depending on what day you take it in) and cost me a whole $18.00!

Hope that helps

gti 03-10-2004 04:03 PM

Frank Ford is the man.......Gryphon Stringed Instrument in Palo Alto.
Check out frets.com first and see if you can spot any issues with your guitars.

Josh 03-10-2004 04:05 PM

I've considered them, but am somewhat adverse. I'm looking for something a little more personalized. There's a decent place down in San Jose, I was just looking for something a bit closer. Taking your good review, I'll possibly look more seriously at Guitar Center.

jk717 03-10-2004 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josh
I've considered them, but am somewhat adverse. I'm looking for something a little more personalized. There's a decent place down in San Jose, I was just looking for something a bit closer. Taking your good review, I'll possibly look more seriously at Guitar Center.
If it makes any difference, GC, at least in Concord, has an independant come by to pick all repairs up -- they don't do their own. Might be the same for all GCs.
If you ask them, they'll probably even give you the contact info for who they use and you can go directly to them.
I figure someone has alot of good repair experience if they do all GC work.
Good luck.

RGB 03-10-2004 04:19 PM

Check for a loose tuner. Could be a simple fix!

Josh 03-10-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RGB
Check for a loose tuner. Could be a simple fix!
I tried that. It's just a weird overring. If i don't attack the string too hard it doesn't happen. But if I perform a harder attack the G string overrings. In fact, it sounds like dissonance comes from both the bridge and the headstock.

GSnyde 03-10-2004 04:52 PM

Frank Ford at Gryphon is about the best guitar repair guy on the planet.....this planet anyway.

dcn100 03-10-2004 06:02 PM

Some observations:

1. I once had the Concord GC install a fishman matrix in my Takamine. A GC manager level employee did it himself, and he did a fine job.

2. Klien Acoustic Guitars in Sonoma deals in very high level acoustics, and they do good work. I had them install a Baggs Double Barrel in an acoustic, and everything went fine.

yardism 03-10-2004 07:32 PM

Another vote for Frank Ford. Although i have neve had any work done by him, i have read many great things by people who have. He is also the featured repair tech in Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. The guy knows his stuff.

Jeff M 03-10-2004 11:56 PM

Frank Ford is generally acknowledged in the guitar world as a first class repairman. Lots of professional musicians in the Bay Area take their acoustic guitars to him for repair. If you haven't already, check out his Frets.com site to get a sampeling of some of the things he deals with;

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

He also is a moderator over at the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum site, and at one time was involved in the luthery end of the business.

I suspect that you may have a bit of a wait if you go to him however-he is in demand. Call first and see how his schedule is.

Other first class options in the Bay Area include John Mello in Kensington (by Berkeley), Eric Schoenberg in Tiburon.

eadgbe 03-11-2004 04:34 PM

Gryphon is great, but if it's too far for you, consider Guitar Solo in the City (on Townsend).

dcn100 03-11-2004 07:54 PM

Update: The guy at Concord GC who did my installation is now the guy who they send stuff to - he no longer works there. Charles Campbell.

Josh 03-11-2004 11:29 PM

To the T.G. Forum,

Thanks for all of your helps guys. I will definitely pursue one of these options!