The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Looking for my first composite (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300585)

83SanDimas 06-25-2013 06:10 PM

Looking for my first composite

I am looking at getting my first composite. I play lightly braced OM sized guitars (Taylor 912 and Martin OM-42). I like the Martin low profile neck and the PA neck and the Taylor neck profile. I want similar scale to my Martins and Taylor's.

What OM or smaller body from each manufacturer would you recommend?

Thanks

Doubleneck 06-25-2013 06:59 PM

I think you need to play a Rainsong WS1000. The neck profile would be the N1 which I think will be difficult to test drive locally, they seem to put the thicker N2 with the truss rod in everything now. The N1 would not have a truss rod. The OM1000 would the next body size smaller if the WS1000 seems to big.

just_Chan 06-25-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83SanDimas (Post 3523417)
I am looking at getting my first composite.

Thanks

I found it interesting that the body-size and the neck-profile the deciding factors for the choice of a guitar. Whatever happened to the voicing and tones ? ;)

For smaller bodies and for ergonomics, i recommend :
1) Composite Acoustics' Xi-Performer
2) Blackbird Guitar's Super OM 2.0
3) Emerald Guitars' X20-OS

Haven't tried the other smaller-sized guitars yet (yes, there are "many many")
How about you pop by MacNichol's Guitar forum ?
They provide road-trips for guitars try-outs (a small fees is for the transportation cost to your residences)
Recall the CA Xi and the Blackbird Lucky 13 are currently on a road-trip now...

Mr. Ed 06-26-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83SanDimas (Post 3523417)
I am looking at getting my first composite. I play lightly braced OM sized guitars (Taylor 912 and Martin OM-42). I like the Martin low profile neck and the PA neck and the Taylor neck profile. I want similar scale to my Maryins and Taylor's.

Thanks

I own both Taylors and Rainsongs. The OM1000 with N1 (original) neck is closet to the Taylor 912.

83SanDimas 06-26-2013 07:53 AM

thanks for the responses. Why neck and body... Being my first composite and owning several other guitars I want a guitar that I can leave at a remote location with less than optimum conditions. I would like scale and neck to be similar to what I am accustomed to.

I keep my action super low. Lower than any stock Taylor and hope to be able to do so with a carbon. Truss rods may not be needed but wanted for setup.

Kindness 06-26-2013 08:50 AM

I have my action SUPER low on my RainSong Shorty, and appreciate having a truss rod. Just a fantastic guitar!

Doubleneck 06-26-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83SanDimas (Post 3523885)
thanks for the responses. Why neck and body... Being my first composite and owning several other guitars I want a guitar that I can leave at a remote location with less than optimum conditions. I would like scale and neck to be similar to what I am accustomed to.

I keep my action super low. Lower than any stock Taylor and hope to be able to do so with a carbon. Truss rods may not be needed but wanted for setup.

I am similar liked the slim neck of the Taylor and like my action low. Your delimma with Rainsong is that their slim neck has no trust rod. Their new N2 neck is like a Gibson C neck, I have gotten used to it but it is not Taylor slim. You need to play some carbons. You should be able to find some Rainsongs around you to try. I would start there since it seems to match what you are used to.

83SanDimas 07-02-2013 06:11 AM

Thanks for the help:)

If I did get an N1 neck would you say they are consistent? If I lower the saddle a bit will it get results? Is the neck fairly straight or relieved?

Kindness 07-02-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83SanDimas (Post 3531057)

If I did get an N1 neck would you say they are consistent? If I lower the saddle a bit will it get results? Is the neck fairly straight or relieved?

My guitar tech has an original Rainsong with the N1 neck that is several years old. He measures once a year and the neck has not budged.

Long813 07-02-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_Chan (Post 3523589)
I found it interesting that the body-size and the neck-profile the deciding factors for the choice of a guitar. Whatever happened to the voicing and tones ? ;)

If it doesn't play right or fit comfortably in your hands, then it doesn't matter how great it sounds, you won't enjoy ;)

Mr. Ed 07-02-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83SanDimas (Post 3531057)

FYI - Remember, I have an OM1000 with N1 neck.] Michael (@ MacNichols) is working with me on my saddle(s). At this point we have a bone saddle that is almost perfect and extremely fast. He has been very helpful!

Oh, and the neck is rock solid.

83SanDimas 07-09-2013 05:07 AM

Thanks for the help, I will be looking into a RAINSONG with the N1

Doubleneck 07-09-2013 07:04 AM

Got a Rainsong that has one of Michael's bone bridges, and it is very nice. I just saw a used Rainsong 12 string with a N1 equivalent, and the relief was dead on.
Steve

Steve Christens 07-09-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_Chan (Post 3523589)

If a guitar is uncomfortable to hold, or hard to play, you simply won't play it as much - in which case it doesn't much matter how it sounds if it spends all its time on the wall. For professionals I can well imagine that tone is more important, but I play for fun, and trying to get my arm around a dread (for example) is just not fun.

BongoSTL 07-09-2013 02:37 PM

Go play a blackbird Super OM. It's in a class by itself, and I think that'll be pretty clear once you play one.