The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Neil Young & Crazy Horse: A Band, A Brotherhood, A Barn (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637940)

Bob Womack 01-24-2022 08:25 AM

Neil Young & Crazy Horse: A Band, A Brotherhood, A Barn

As I recall, lot's o' folk here love old Neil. Here is his latest video effort: 1:14:25 of him and the band playing in his barn and talking. Special appearances by his dogs. Lot's of songs about wife Darryl Hanna and even one about his new citizenship. Warning: language.

Old Neil loves to put out the rustic vibe, but Guy Charbonneau's Le Mobile recording truck is at the top of the pack for remote trucks. I've actually been aboard that truck. It features a Neve 8058 console and Studer A800 multitrack as well as ProTools. I spent the first decade of my career recording on a pair of 8058s and an 8024 and know that they are fantastic. So, this production isn't the slightest bit rustic at all, except perhaps for Neil himself and his music.

Enjoy!

Bob

Maicobmw 01-24-2022 08:32 AM

Thanks for that, I've been meaning to find it and have a watch/listen.

Bob Womack 01-24-2022 09:51 AM

After all these years I had no idea that Nils Lofgren was so tiny. He makes a Les Paul look like a silly ES-175.

Bob

6L6 01-24-2022 10:33 AM

“There is a town in north Ontario…”

That would be Omemee where Neil spent some of his happiest early years. He and wife Daryl just bought a beautiful old place there and are fully restoring it.

Meanwhile, the Old Barn is on Daryl’s ranch in Telluride, Colorado.

It’s a very good life.

KenL 01-24-2022 10:46 AM

Yes, thanks, that was great!

Peter Z 01-24-2022 11:04 AM

Bob, thanks a lot for sharing, this is wonderful!
Also, thanks for not overdriving those Neves too much as many did in the old days. This is a fantastic clean and warm sound!!! Love it!
Last but not least, congrats! It must be very special to be part of the recording session.

frankmcr 01-24-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6L6 (Post 6914956)
“There is a town in north Ontario…”

That would be Omemee

Thanks, I've always wondered.

Except, looking it up, how the heck is that "north Ontario"? Thunder Bay, maybe (although there's a LOT of Ontario north of there), but this Omemee place isn't even north of Ottawa.

Anybody from the GWN reading this, please help!

GCWaters 01-24-2022 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 6914928)
After all these years I had no idea that Nils Lofgren was so tiny. He makes a Les Paul look like a silly ES-175.

Bob

Love Nils--he makes every band he plays with better!

Michaelbrady71 01-24-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCWaters (Post 6915033)
Love Nils--he makes every band he plays with better!

I was thinking that exact thing as I watched. How Nils is a perfect fit for Neal as opposed to someone with a huge ego like a David Crosby. And how awesome was Nils on accordion and piano? His 2nd and third instruments. I’ll add one more point about Nils. There are extremely few musicians who can say they were in either the E Street Band or Crazy Horse. There is only one who can say he is in both.

KenL 01-24-2022 03:14 PM

"Meanwhile, the Old Barn is on Daryl’s ranch in Telluride, Colorado."

Good to know. I knew it was someplace high in elevation. I noticed that the bass player, Billy Talbot had those individual bottles of oxygen scattered all around him.

Maicobmw 01-24-2022 07:34 PM

My favorite part is when Nils plays that solo piano bit, and Neil and I think Billy walk in and comment how pretty and beautiful it sounds.

reeve21 01-24-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Womack (Post 6914928)

Bob

Nils goes a solid 5-3. He is quite an athlete, used to play a lot of hoops before double hip replacement. Also a very good gymnast, would jump off a trampoline during guitar solos. Hung around with Kevin McHale of the Boston Celtics back in the day. He once appeared on Howard Stern’s TV show and schooled the much taller DJ on the court.

jseth 01-28-2022 02:27 PM

Thanks for the link, Bob! Was a lot of fun to watch/listen to this...

Nice juxtaposition between the classic amps and guitars and the state-of-the-art recording truck!

I especially liked the discussion about "doing another take", and the impact that has on the soul of the song... loved the ""Down by the River" was edited, like, a thousand times" quote form Neil!

Pura Vida 01-28-2022 04:09 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'll make sure to watch it this weekend.

Gromitspapa 01-02-2023 07:38 PM

Good movie! I liked it better than Harvest Time.