The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Promised Land {Ed Gerhard cover} (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622268)

TBman 07-31-2021 09:34 PM

The Promised Land {Ed Gerhard cover}

A little warty, some breathing (its Allegra time). On the Avalon, two SDC mics into a Zoom H5. :)

I haven't recorded a full tune in a while due to some health issues. Its time to record 3-4 times a week again during practice
sessions just to get used to it again. This soundclip is the 8th or 9th take of an easy tune :D

The Promised Land:

SprintBob 07-31-2021 11:22 PM

Nice one Barry. I enjoyed that.

UKPhil 08-01-2021 01:08 AM

Absolutely beautiful Barry. Lovely, sensitive, gentle playing of a piece that is new to me. Great job!!

rémy64 08-01-2021 12:08 PM

A very pleasant song that I discovered, I really like this rhythm, bravo Barry. it is in which tuning?

TBman 08-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6776346)
Nice one Barry. I enjoyed that.

Thanks Bob! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKPhil (Post 6776376)
Absolutely beautiful Barry. Lovely, sensitive, gentle playing of a piece that is new to me. Great job!!

Thanks Phil! Ed Gerhard has done some nice tunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rémy64 (Post 6776684)
A very pleasant song that I discovered, I really like this rhythm, bravo Barry. it is in which tuning?

Thanks Remy! The tuning is dropped D according to his "The Guitar Songbook" notation, but I tuned to CGCFAD and capo'd on 3.

On Ed Gerhard's Youtube video of his medley "Promised Land/Farther Along" (which I practiced with) he is capo'd on 2. I played along in the tuning I used and capo'd on 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-WVcHp1mE

islandguitar 08-02-2021 08:04 AM

Good stuff, Barry!! I really liked this EG tune.

Glennwillow 08-02-2021 09:10 AM

That was lovely, Barry -- very expressive, really pretty.

I don't experience the breaths picked up in your recording as a problem, Barry. That way I know it's a real person playing this, and by the lovely phrasing, it surely is!

I'm sorry you've been having a hard time with health issues lately. I hope things get better for you very soon. :)

- Glenn

Rick Shepherd 08-02-2021 10:26 AM

Hi Barry,

Similarly, sorry to hear about your health issues. I have certainly had my share! Hang in there man!

I have been meaning to learn that piece, it is lovely! That guitar sounds very nice! Your version sounds very peaceful, and it makes me reflect on a lot of things in my life, including how fleeting it is. Thank-you for sharing that with us!

Peace!

Rick

TBman 08-03-2021 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 6777235)
Good stuff, Barry!! I really liked this EG tune.

Thanks Fred! :)

Rogerblair 08-03-2021 07:35 AM

Well done, Barry. Beautiful expression.
Rb

TBman 08-04-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6777294)
That was lovely, Barry -- very expressive, really pretty.

I don't experience the breaths picked up in your recording as a problem, Barry. That way I know it's a real person playing this, and by the lovely phrasing, it surely is!

I'm sorry you've been having a hard time with health issues lately. I hope things get better for you very soon. :)

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn!

I had to go for radiation treatments for a couple of months for something that was very, very low level. The side effects of the treatments beat me up a bit though.

TBman 08-06-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd (Post 6777382)
Hi Barry,

Similarly, sorry to hear about your health issues. I have certainly had my share! Hang in there man!

I have been meaning to learn that piece, it is lovely! That guitar sounds very nice! Your version sounds very peaceful, and it makes me reflect on a lot of things in my life, including how fleeting it is. Thank-you for sharing that with us!

Peace!

Rick

Thanks Rick! :)

Mr. Paul 08-07-2021 07:36 AM

So glad you're back in the saddle again. Lovely tune, well played!

Cheers

TBman 08-08-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerblair (Post 6777944)
Well done, Barry. Beautiful expression.
Rb

Thanks Roger! :)

MrEd 08-08-2021 06:58 PM

Very nice Barry. I truly enjoy your music. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Mike