The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445364)

Jimmy Caldwell 10-07-2016 07:22 AM

Matthew,

I'll be following this one closely. Burton's work is so inspiring, the perfect blend of tradition and innovation. I finally got to meet him at SBAIC and enjoyed the visit and was equally impressed with the two guitars he brought. You've made a great choice on both the guitar and the luthier.

Steve Kinnaird 10-07-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1 (Post 5090187)
I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my digital x-ray files. When I return in a week, I should be able to get you measurements to the ten thousandth of a millimeter.

Well, if anyone here can work down to those tolerances, it is Burton.
This will be fun to watch, thanks for sharing!

Steve

Marcus Wong 10-07-2016 09:42 AM

This is a really cool build Matthew and Burton with all the history and what not! Will be following it closely :D

maurerfan 10-07-2016 10:19 AM

Here's a close look at that wonderful re-curve ... photo credit to Robert of course.

http://www.vintagemartin.com/Martin1840Rnsnce_019.jpg

Rodger Knox 10-07-2016 11:04 AM

Thanks for the link, Burton. That's the same site that inspired me to use that shape, and the source of the photos I was using to develop plans. That's more than enough for me, but the X-rays would be interesting to see. You've been a major influence on my building techniques, we seem to agree on a lot of structural and aesthetic ideas. Thanks again.

Bill Kraus 10-11-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurerfan (Post 5090431)
Here's a close look at that wonderful re-curve ... photo credit to Robert of course.

http://www.vintagemartin.com/Martin1840Rnsnce_019.jpg

It's nice to see that Martin was not afraid to use a piece of mahogany with what looks like a knot in it!, nothing wrong with it.

Bill Kraus 10-11-2016 05:47 AM

Beautiful.

matthewpartrick 10-11-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Kraus (Post 5094211)
It's nice to see that Martin was not afraid to use a piece of mahogany with what looks like a knot in it!, nothing wrong with it.

I know, right?!?!? It also looks like a stacked heel to me as well. So much for the "wings" argument.

jt1 10-11-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 5094860)
It also looks like a stacked heel to me as well. So much for the "wings" argument.

Stacked heels are still the standard in the classical guitar world. We in the steel string world need to embrace the stacked aesthetic and let our luthiers save a few trees.

matthewpartrick 10-11-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1 (Post 5094884)
Stacked heels are still the standard in the classical guitar world. We in the steel string world need to embrace the stacked aesthetic and let our luthiers save a few trees.

I think it's a matter of time. I've been seeing a lot of non-Taylors for sale lately with stripey ebony fretboards. They look totally fine to me! :)

maurerfan 10-12-2016 09:09 AM

Was the Martin original fan-braced ... x-braced .. or? And, what will this build be?

jt1 10-12-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 5095094)
I think it's a matter of time. I've been seeing a lot of non-Taylors for sale lately with stripey ebony fretboards. They look totally fine to me! :)

My 1943 Gibson Southerner Jumbo, built at the peak of wartime materials restrictions, boasts a stacked heel and 4 piece top. It's a lovely thing:

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...pswpokx8mj.jpg

iim7V7IM7 10-12-2016 11:13 AM

As others have said, I wouldn't think twice about it. My classical guitar built by master luthier Peter Oberg has a stacked Spanish Cedar heel. This has been the Spanish tradition for ages.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7a17dcaa.jpg

matthewpartrick 11-03-2016 07:06 AM

A cool photo of an original 1850s Martin 2-23, courtesy of Robert Corwin, showing a very similar rosette to what we'll be going with.

https://i.imgur.com/OHwXF4v.jpg

justonwo 11-03-2016 10:02 AM

Wow, so cool. This is going to be a fun project to follow. When is Burton planning on starting?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=