The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Your Favorite "One Trick Pony" pedal (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593830)

blue 09-28-2020 10:02 AM

Your Favorite "One Trick Pony" pedal

The definition I'm using is a pedal that basically gives one spectacular sound. And that sound can probably be accomplished with pedals you already own! So basically a pedal you don't need, but does it what it does so brilliantly that you can't part with it! Obviously everyone will have their own definition

So my nomination is the JHS Milkman. Can't express how much I love this pedal. Josh from JHS has described it as "A pedal designed to be Tim Marcus' (founder of Milkman amps) personal custom pedal, that you can buy too". Hilariously I bought it as an afterthought. I got it used, with a break on the price and shipping added on to the price of the pedal "I really wanted". Love that one too!

Dru Edwards 09-28-2020 10:59 AM

Josh makes great pedals.

The only pedal that comes to mind is my EHX Soul Food because it's my 'always on' pedal and gives my amp a boost. It's a transparent OD.

redir 09-28-2020 02:31 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by One Trick Pony but pretty much all my pedals once dialed in stay where they are with the exception of Delay maybe. I could hot glue all the knobs on my pedals once I find what I like since I never change the settings.

Or perhaps you do indeed mean a true one trick pony which would be my Boss PH-2 Phaser. It's a strange little thing but the band I ma in creates songs mostly on the fly and I just so happened to use this thing on a song we made 10 years ago and it's the only song till this day that thing gets used on. It's kind of annoying dragging it around for one song but it really makes it.

maxtheaxe 09-28-2020 02:40 PM

Boss CS-3 Comp. Always on...

rockabilly69 09-28-2020 02:52 PM

I love the Mythical Overdrive for what it does for my acoustic and electric/acoustic guitars before they hit my Princeton Reverb...

(it's the little red box parked on my Princeton)

https://i.imgur.com/yzvcm0Z.jpg

alnico5 10-03-2020 03:27 PM

EHX Mel9. If it had only the orchestra it would be worth every penny to me.

ljh505 10-04-2020 05:59 PM

Looking down at the current setup, there's two multi-effects pedals, one Boss and one Line 6. The only single stomp box tone pedals are an EHX Bass9 Bass Simulator, an EHX Soul Food (Klon Centaur clone), and a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

If I had to toss all the single-use stomp box pedals except one, maybe keep the Bass9, because the multi-effects pedals can do a good job of emulating the tones of the Centaur and the Blues Driver? The Boss multi-effects has the BD-2 emulator in its menu, and the Line 6 has the Centaur emulator. Nothing does a Moog Taurus bass synth quite like the EHX Bass9, though.

rockabilly69 10-04-2020 11:22 PM

If preamps count my Grace Alix is ALWAYS on! I don't remember the last gig I did without it!

https://i.imgur.com/f4pzPoC.jpg?2

KevWind 10-05-2020 06:56 AM

I am still awaiting delivery of what I think might qualify

A Karama Amps MTN 10 (said to be very much like the now discontinued and coveted Mostortion )

TeleBluesMan 10-05-2020 09:32 AM

Neo Instruments Mini Vent - Rotary Cabinet Simulator

roylor4 10-05-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6510234)
Josh makes great pedals.

The only pedal that comes to mind is my EHX Soul Food because it's my 'always on' pedal and gives my amp a boost. It's a transparent OD.

+1 on the Soul Food. Tone to the bone!

wrathfuldeity 10-05-2020 08:22 PM

Idk if it counts as 1 trick pony...because on its own, it does nothing. But when combined with other pedals, its one heck of a trick. Kind of sounds like a riddle?

VFE Klein Bottle, its a parallel mixer with 3 loops plus the dry signal. I use it in a rather pedestrian manner. A tremolo in loop 1, ambient reverb and/or a delay in loop 2 and a delay and/or reverb in loop 3. Anyway its a great tool for shaping the tonal landscape without everything getting in the way of each other and turning into mush.

6L6 10-05-2020 09:08 PM

BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay.

Dru Edwards 10-06-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roylor4 (Post 6516522)
+1 on the Soul Food. Tone to the bone!

The Soul Food is probably my favorite pedal. I can dial the gain back a little on the amp and put on the Soul Food to give the gain back, only better and tighter. Hard to believe it's so inexpensive ($86 at Sweetwater and MusiciansFriend).

blue 10-06-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6516956)
The Soul Food is probably my favorite pedal. I can dial the gain back a little on the amp and put on the Soul Food to give the gain back, only better and tighter. Hard to believe it's so inexpensive ($86 at Sweetwater and MusiciansFriend).

I've come super close to pulling the trigger on one hundreds of times since its release. But for my amps and setups, I have a rangemaster clone (BBE Freqboost) that gives me the "sound in my head".

But yeah. Klon related tone for under a C-note? EHX kills it with a lot of their pedals.