The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tough decision (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620652)

no1i 07-12-2021 10:42 AM

Tough decision

I ordered a custom guitar through a dealer a few years back and paid the initial deposit. However, life is full of surprises and currently in urgent need of money. Just want to know if this will burn the bridge with the luthier/dealer, I'd definitely be interested in doing another build once I sort things out.

rule18 07-12-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1i (Post 6762496)
I ordered a custom guitar through a dealer a few years back and paid the initial deposit. However, life is full of surprises and currently in urgent need of money. Just want to know if this will burn the bridge with the luthier/dealer, I'd definitely be interested in doing another build once I sort things out.

IMO, the only way to know for sure is to call them, be honest, and ask. I suspect that you'd get most of your deposit back but check your paperwork or emails, there's probably a nonrefundable percentage of the deposit.

Mr. Paul 07-12-2021 10:59 AM

There have been a number of examples on AGF where one has sold their "place in line" for a custom build for the amount of their deposit.

blindboyjimi 07-12-2021 11:34 AM

Most deposits are non-refundable, but you may be able to sell or transfer it to someone else.

fitness1 07-12-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 6762507)
There have been a number of examples on AGF where one has sold their "place in line" for a custom build for the amount of their deposit.

I think this is the best plan of action if you want to keep the relationship with the people you were in agreement with.

Steve-arino 07-12-2021 07:00 PM

Completely agree with the other responders. Put details on AGF and you might get someone to take over the build.

I did that earlier in the year with an AGF member and my new guitar should be here later in the week :-). I'm excited!

Lots of very good, ethical members on this forum.

The Bard Rocks 07-12-2021 07:37 PM

I'd first talk to the luthier. Maybe he would let you transfer your build to later on when you will have more money to finish it. If you need the deposit back and can't gt it refunded, then the suggestions to sell your place in line is the most viable alternative.

jaymarsch 07-13-2021 08:22 AM

I agree, talk to the luthier. I know of a couple of luthiers who will refund a deposit if the deposit can be then paid by a new person taking that spot in line. Also, if there is a waiting list, the luthier could offer someone in their queue to replace the deposit for a chance to move up the line and get their guitar sooner. Honest communication about your changing situation could result in a positive solution for more than just you and maintain your good relationship with the dealer. Good luck.
Best,
Jayne

Tahitijack 07-13-2021 09:13 AM

What does your order contract say? I agree with others, the deposit should be non refundable. But if work has not started you should be able to cancel with just the loss of your deposit.

justonwo 07-13-2021 09:50 AM

Just talk to the builder/dealer. Tell them your situation. They are usually understanding.