The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   If only I didn’t have this physical limitation... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545866)

PetesaHut 05-03-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slothead56 (Post 6053225)
I will never be the player I could be because I lack the physical ability to wrap my thumb over the top of the fretboard.

It feels good tho say it in public but it makes me sad nonetheless...

I am now 65 and play fingerstyle, I recently tried taking my thumb over and I can get close, I tried not to exert to much pressure, but my hand hurt for weeks so I stopped.

Perhaps Im to old to be doing something new like that at my age, but after reading this post, Im wondering how much pain others have endured when trying to master thumb wrap?

Optofonik 05-03-2019 06:55 PM

In descending order so to speak:

Mike Dawes with tarantula hands...

And...

Then there are those whose guitars are actually bigger than they are....

You can't make anything for yourself out of what other people posses.

jim1960 05-03-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slothead56 (Post 6053225)
I will never be the player I could be because I lack the physical ability to wrap my thumb over the top of the fretboard.

It feels good tho say it in public but it makes me sad nonetheless...

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."
-Donald Shimoda, Illusions, the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Shortfinger 05-03-2019 08:07 PM

The two tunes I learned recently are "Louise" (Leo Kottke) and "A" Blues, both taught by my man Daddy Stovepipe on his YouTube channel, in both he wraps his thumb a lot, and since I can't, I've learned to do it without.

Louise, with the slide on my pinky, requires some gymnastics, but I have it down.

Monsoon1 05-04-2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optofonik (Post 6053455)
In descending order so to speak:

Mike Dawes with tarantula hands...

And...

Then there are those whose guitars are actually bigger than they are....

You can't make anything for yourself out of what other people posses.

The toughest chords i've seen were by this guy. He regularly played chords that hurt to try and play, and I have pretty big hands.

https://i.postimg.cc/pVB8BnDd/download-1.jpg

lowrider 05-04-2019 04:56 AM

I'll see your thumb-wrap and raise you Richie Havens;

https://thevinylfactory.com/wp-conte...-woodstock.jpg

He could probably cover 5 strings with that sucker!

The Bard Rocks 05-04-2019 06:18 AM

When I started playing I had been told that a thumb wrap was considered bad. It took me years to get that nonsense out of my head and learn that there are time when it is better. The point of all this is that learning how to thumb wrap is not necessary; there are other ways to achieve the same result.

Silurian 05-04-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluemonk (Post 6053282)
I will never be the player Django Reinhardt was even though I have use of all ten fingers.

Perspective.

Those two extra fingers must be useful though. :D

Bluemonk 05-04-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silurian (Post 6053730)
Those two extra fingers must be useful though. :D

I'll admit they come in "handy."

Sorry.

Borderdon 05-04-2019 08:24 AM

Love the pic of Mr. Holdsworth, what a sublime player !

s2y 05-04-2019 08:31 AM

If not being able to do thumb chords is a big limitation, I should have quit years ago. My hands are way too small for that.

DenverSteve 05-04-2019 09:20 AM

Hopefully Slothead's post was intended to elicit reaction but, if not, thank goodness Stevie Wonder, Jeff Healey, Rick Allen, Doc Watson, Tony Melendez, Beethoven, Ray Charles, Ronnie Milsap.....(and many others).......... didn't surrender to a little adversity.

RustyAxe 05-04-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluemonk (Post 6053282)
I will never be the player Django Reinhardt was even though I have use of all ten fingers.

Perspective.

I was gonna post the same thing ... ;)

ManyMartinMan 05-04-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 6053657)
I'll see your thumb-wrap and raise you Richie Havens;...He could probably cover 5 strings with that sucker!

Ritchie isn't a true example of thumb wrapping. He played in Open-D and used his thumb to "thumb fret" his guitar. You are correct, he could thumb-fret all six strings. Where most of us would use an index finger, Ritchie would use his thumb. He could have done it with any single finger like Dollie Parton and some other's who play in open tuning.

Slothead56 05-04-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverSteve (Post 6053817)
Hopefully Slothead's post was intended to elicit reaction but, if not, thank goodness Stevie Wonder, Jeff Healey, Rick Allen, Doc Watson, Tony Melendez, Beethoven, Ray Charles, Ronnie Milsap.....(and many others).......... didn't surrender to a little adversity.

Hi...Slothead56 here.

My post was intended to be frivolous and lighthearted. My intended sarcasm did not show through. It obviously was a bad choice on a Friday afternoon.

I did not meant to demean, degrade or otherwise cast aspersions on any ones ability to overcome significant physical conditions or handicaps. I have many, many friends that face true physical hardships everyday from long term medical conditions or struggles they are having right now with treatments for various ailments, including cancer. Their struggle is real.

I apologize should I have offended anyone or caused anyone to think poorly of me or my “complaint”.

It is true that I can’t wrap my thumb. It has not caused me to stop playing and performing for the past 45 years. I only hope everyone is as fortunate as I to enjoy this hobby/avocation as much as I do.