The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sexauer/'17 (chapter 1) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454830)

DamianL 03-08-2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 5259344)
My hope is that 80% of the attendees at SBAIC will pick up this guitar while they are standing in front of my table. I would estimate that 10% of the attendees at the last show pickled up any of my guitars. If I didn't think this instrument was up to snuff, I'd be making a pretty foolish move putting it in so many potential buyers hands. Although this is indeed my entry level model, I will have the other end of the spectrum available as well, should anyone at the show have an inquiring mind.

It's hard to tell from just a brief non-miced video, but the notes seemed to 'jump out' from the SBAIC when plucked, in a way that always signals good things to me...lively and punchy, with a body-shape that just begs to be cradled.

I would be making a bee-line to the Sexauer booth if I was anywhere nearby!

(Rather than being 6000 miles away...:()

printer2 03-08-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 5259344)
My hope is that 80% of the attendees at SBAIC will pick up this guitar while they are standing in front of my table. I would estimate that 10% of the attendees at the last show pickled up any of my guitars. If I didn't think this instrument was up to snuff, I'd be making a pretty foolish move putting it in so many potential buyers hands. Although this is indeed my entry level model, I will have the other end of the spectrum available as well, should anyone at the show have an inquiring mind.

I was wondering about what you have said about past shows and getting your guitars into pairs of hands. I thought maybe some felt intimidated by them, I know I would be if I had no association to this craft. Almost like keeping your voice hushed while in a cathedral, not wanting to draw attention to yourself.

I doubt any guitar with your stamp on it would not be up to snuff, that is unthinkable. I think the idea of offering your guitar up is a good idea, I am sure everyone that sees it would think 'this could be my guitar'. Something to be touched and played and not just looked at.

Oh yeah, and I agree on how the guitar sounds in the video. I was impressed at how it sounded given the method of recording.

Bruce Sexauer 03-11-2017 05:17 PM

My building method discussed w/Dream Series #8

Quote:

Originally Posted by printer2 (Post 5260641)
I was wondering about what you have said about past shows and getting your guitars into pairs of hands. I thought maybe some felt intimidated by them, I know I would be if I had no association to this craft. Almost like keeping your voice hushed while in a cathedral, not wanting to draw attention to yourself.

On the quoted subject, a couple of things. First, these shows are generally in big rooms with too many people all talking a playing guitars; no one can hear anyone unless they're standing in front the player. Second, there are usually nearby rooms provided for both privacy and so that one has a slightly better chance of hearing a guitar. I do believe that what makes my guitars superior (if they are) to other guitars is too subtle to be easily observed in the guitar show environment.

I have made a third video from the NCAL tapes. This one is 12 minutes of me talking about my building methods using my not quite done Dream Series #8, a JB-15 in BRW/Italian as the demo.

These videos are entirely extemporaneous, and are not intended to be slick presentations, not unlike my AGF posts.

printer2 03-12-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

'You weren't paying attention.'
:D

I did catch it in the video, but then again I ended up doing the same for the same reason. I was making a quick guitar to try out an idea and I didn't want to bother making a mold so I built my top on the dish that I use to radius the sides for the top. (Rather than have a hole in it and screw down the top at the sound hole I used a clamp from the rafter pushing the middle down.) I figured that since I was binding the sides I didn't need to fit them exactly to the top, that section was going to be routed off anyway. Hide glue and blocks, an hour or two and you are done. Actually is a relaxing task. Built the last half dozen bodies in this method.

Bruce Sexauer 03-12-2017 11:18 AM

Finessing the Frets

Here is a video of me dressing the frets on Bob's single 0, and so much more! This one has a bit more technical detail that the previous ones, and it is much longer at nearly an hour.

Finessing the Frets

Bruce Sexauer 03-15-2017 11:29 AM

The "Tree" follow-up

Yesterday I shipped Bob's Single 0 to him, and it ought to arrive on Friday, pending the unusual ice storm the East Coast is experiencing.

Hopefully, some of you have watched the video I posted a few days ago (ten posts back in this thread) wherein I discuss a piece of the "Tree" a fellow (Greg) brought to the NCAL meeting. Greg and I reached an agreement, and after the 0 became history (for me) we spent a few hours milling his board. I had projected 4 guitars and an all "tree" ukulele, and that is what we got. Here is a rough-sawn OM sized back:

http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/tree-OM1.jpg

I believe I am going to build the Uke for Greg, but I expect he is interested in parting with some or all of the guitar sets. This is not the place to discuss that beyond mentioning it; you know how to reach me.

Marcus Wong 03-16-2017 08:01 AM

That is real nice...

BradHall 03-16-2017 09:40 AM

I saw this in the rough at your shop. Far more stunning with the weathering effect not visible. Certainly looks like you absolutely maximized the yield on this set. Nice work Bruce.

iim7V7IM7 03-17-2017 11:32 AM

Happy Birthday Bruce!

Just an FYI, today is Bruce's 70th birthday...:up: I wanted to take a moment to wish him the very best today...:)

Nemoman 03-17-2017 11:43 AM

Happy, Happy Birthday, Bruce!

Thanks for sharing your art with us!

Bruce Sexauer 03-17-2017 01:38 PM

My gift to myself today is a new property-line fence on the west side of my home/shop. I have a couple of guys helping my out on this. Also, the next door neighbor is sharing the financial pain. I will be a tad more scare around here today than usual, however, so thank you for the B'Day wishes if I don't check in again before tomorrow.

TomB'sox 03-17-2017 05:55 PM

Happy Birthday Bruce, hopefully you got lots of help on the fence at least!

cigarfan 03-18-2017 04:51 AM

The BIG seven oh! Congrats Bruce! Hope your birthday was grand!

Bruce Sexauer 03-20-2017 06:46 PM

I am 70 and 3 days, so I'm getting on with it! Thanks for the wishes.

Because I haven't made a Uke for a year or so, and I have a commission to make one from the "tree" I just milled, I thought I build a spec one from less financially significant material.

I found a chunk of a Silver Acacia tree I felled about 35 years ago that is bigger than I remembered, so that's what I'm using. Here is a picture of it as it looked in the wood shed, and a picture of the joined back:

http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/AcaciaUke/before.jpg

http://mojoluthier.com/LP17/AcaciaUke/Middle.jpg

The Bard Rocks 03-20-2017 07:39 PM

silver acacia

Hmmm, may be a new one for me. Be sure to show it to us when it has finish on it. Neat looking wood!