The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Which soundclip sounds better? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476235)

TBman 07-12-2017 09:07 PM

Which soundclip sounds better?

A little help would be appreciated. Which soundclip sounds best?

Clip #1:

Clip #2

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Soundclip below not part of poll!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

volman 07-12-2017 09:15 PM

Definitely clip 2 for me. First clip sounded like you were in a room backed well away from the mic. The second sounded like the guitar was right at my ear. Very rich, full, and satisfying.

TBman 07-13-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volman (Post 5405930)
Definitely clip 2 for me. First clip sounded like you were in a room backed well away from the mic. The second sounded like the guitar was right at my ear. Very rich, full, and satisfying.

Thanks!.....

rokdog49 07-13-2017 06:31 AM

Are you testing a microphone or a recording environment/technique?
The clips led me to believe that's what you are doing.
I voted "back to the woodshed," I didn't like either, sorry.
The first clip was definitely very bright. The second was very warm and the bass was a little much, as in unnatural. That's the best I can do.

TBman 07-13-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 5406173)
Are you testing a microphone or a recording environment/technique?
The clips led me to believe that's what you are doing.
I voted "back to the woodshed," I didn't like either, sorry.
The first clip was definitely very bright. The second was very warm and the bass was a little much, as in unnatural. That's the best I can do.

That's excellent thanks.

Wasper 07-13-2017 07:15 AM

I voted for clip #1:But Needs more work.

To me, the second clip sounds a bit muffled compared to the first clip. I tend lean towards more warmth most times, but in this case I think a little something gets lost in the second clip that is present in the first. There is a shimmering sound in the first clip that shines through in areas of the piece. In the second clip, this shimmering sound is muted and when comparing the two I find I'm missing that certain something clip #1 has. By themselves, they are both lovely, but when comparing side by side like this, I say #1 wins out.

I only chose the "need more work" part because, I do like the warmth of the second clip, but wish it still had that shimmering brilliance clip #1 had. So, for me personally, I would like to hear something falling in between #1 and #2... keeping the best parts of clip #1 but bringing in just a tad more warmth without going fully to clip #2... Hope I'm explaining that in a coherent manner.

Now, I listened thru the pc speakers at work and not headphones, so that may have had a determining factor in my choice.

PorkPieGuy 07-13-2017 07:22 AM

I like the first one if you plan on adding more instruments that support lower frequencies.

I like the second one if this is a stand-alone recording.

jaymarsch 07-13-2017 07:55 AM

Clip #1 sounds clearer and cleaner to my ears. I like some of the warmth of Clip #2 but it does sound muddy and not as present. I guess I would prefer something in between the two.

I voted Clip #1 - needs work.

I enjoyed the piece and thought that it flowed nicely.

Best,
Jayne

islandguitar 07-13-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volman (Post 5405930)

This is my reaction too, Barry. I'm listening with very good Audio Technica headphones....to my ears, it's the richest sound you've created so far. The comment about "stand alone" above is also good and important, which I assume you'll always be doing and my thoughts are based on that premise.

volman 07-13-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5406318)
This is my reaction too, Barry. I'm listening with very good Audio Technica headphones....to my ears, it's the richest sound you've created so far.

I was also using good headphones. I'm pretty sure the bass would sound too strong if using weak computer speakers. Maybe that's where the difference of opinion comes from? Improvements could be made on the second clip, but it sounds much better to me than the first one.

Guest4562 07-13-2017 08:37 AM

I went with the woodshed as well, too much ambient noise in each but I do give the edge to #2 for warmth. I initially listened through headphones which tend to be a bit less forgiving than computer speakers. I then did a second pass with the laptop speakers, and of the two, #2 retains the edge; but I still think you need to smooth it out a bit.

mercy 07-13-2017 08:57 AM

To me #1 was clearly best but this poll illustrates that different people like different sounds. Theres the Gibson group, the Martin group, the Taylor group and Im going to add the modern guitar sound group which I am in.

Organic Sounds Select Guitars 07-13-2017 09:04 AM

Barry, I agree with those who said that the best recording would have attributes from both. I picked the 2nd due to its richness and warmth, but would like to have heard a little more of the high end clarity from the first. Nice playing by the way!

vindibona1 07-13-2017 09:07 AM

I preferred the sound of clip 1. Was more characteristic of the type of music you were trying to play. I didn't get into the "needs work" category, though I heard some extraneous noise in the recording.

Would love to hear the details of your recording parameters.

musicman1951 07-13-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5405919)
A little help would be appreciated. Which soundclip sounds best?

Clip #1:

Clip #2

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Soundclip below not part of poll!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#2 for me. #1 was annoyingly bright.