The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Luthiers in Hawaii ?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454375)

kona magic bnb 12-29-2016 12:26 PM

Luthiers in Hawaii ??

Hi, I have a 10 year old Larrivee D acoustic guitar that I would like "opened up" by shaving the bracing s. Does anyone know a good luthier in Hawaii? Thanks

alohachris 12-29-2016 01:11 PM

Aloha Kona

Aloha Kona,

If I still had a shop, I'd do your job.

Here are a few suggestions of luthiers who can do that kind of specialized brace work. They are all old experienced pro's with great reputations:

On the Big Island: David Gomes Guitars & Ukes (Hawi), Bob Gleason (Pegasus Guitars & Ukes - Hilo)

Maui: Steve Grimes Guitars (Kula)

Oahu: Kiland Reece (KR Stringed Instrument Repair - Kaneohe), Pete (Island Guitars at Ward Warehouse - Kaka'ako in town), Noah Bonk, (Koolau Guitar & Uke -Wahiawa), Reid Shigemura (Hookani Music in Kalihi Kai - Honolulu), Mark Iseman Guitars (Kaka'ako - Honolulu)

Kauai: Mickey Sussman (Anahola Stringed Instruments - Anahola, Windward side)

A Hui Hou,

alohachris

Tell 'em I sentcha

Earl49 12-29-2016 01:25 PM

On Hawaii Island, I can highly recommend Dennis Lake of Po Mahina Guitars. In addition to building really nice high-end instruments (if I were considering a custom build, it would be him) I believe he also does repairs out of Hilo Guitars and Ukulele located in - wait for it - Hilo. :D
www.pomahina.com

alohachris 12-29-2016 03:39 PM

Aloha Earl

Aloha Earl,

Unfortunately, Dennis Lake of Po Mahina Guitars & Ukes has left the Islands & lives in Escondido, California now.

alohachris

Earl49 12-29-2016 04:03 PM

Oops - new information that I was unaware of Chris. Mahalo for the update. I see the new Escondido address on his web site too. Dennis is still teaching ukulele building at the Aloha Music Camp with the Beamer Ohana, according to the last web site update. [Edit: I just checked the AMC web site now, and their web site is off-line with an Oklahoma contact number. Hmmm.....]

Assuming he is still building and not retired, Dennis remains the luthier I would go to for a true custom build / commission.

palolowarrior 12-29-2016 09:51 PM

In Honolulu...

Chris Davis of BR Fret shop in Hawaii Kai.

He is my go to guy as well as many of the performing artists in Honolulu.
Although, I am not a pro, I do know a great luthier when I experience one. I've gone through 4-5 already and he is a master.

He is honest, has great hands, and is also a player. Prices are very reasonable.

Aloha

dberkowitz 12-30-2016 09:43 AM

Steve Grimes, Grimes Guitars in Kula, HI

birdmove 05-11-2019 01:41 PM

I Know this thread goes back a few years. In Keaau (about 8 miles south of Hilo), we have a gent that runs Rodgers Guitars. He sells consignment guitars, but he also makes ukes and guitars to customer specs.