The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   How to choose a nylon string guitar?? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566970)

ScottKilpatrick 12-19-2019 02:59 PM

How to choose a nylon string guitar??

I want to purchase a nylon string guitar for classical style playing but really have no idea what to look for. My budget would be between $1500 - $3000 - or lower if needed. I am willing to spend this much because it will probably be THE nylon string guitar I have for the rest of my life and would like it to be a high quality guitar.

With steel string there are more factors like body type to make decisions on but with nylon string it appears less. The prices are all over the place. Not sure if solid wood is something I should demand.

I have no problem paying for a higher cost Esteve or Rameriz but I am not totally sure what I am spending more on??

Do i just need to try a bunch?? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks all

Carey 12-19-2019 03:07 PM

If it were me I'd first try and likely buy something in the $300-500 range, used, and sort out what you like and don't from there. Solid top, probably cedar in
that range, lam back and sides. Takamine C132S would be a good thing to look at.

Sardara 12-19-2019 03:27 PM

I would definately be looking to buy second hand in the $1500 plus region.

redir 12-19-2019 04:10 PM

Trying out a bunch is great if you can but it's rare that even good shops have classical guitars in that price range. For $3k you should be able to get a darn good one. Sometimes you can score really nice stuff used too. I just got a super nice guitar in my shop for some simple set up work that the guy paid $800 bucks for. Amazon Rosewood, lattice braced guitar. Buying used of course has it's risks especially when from not so well luthiers but they are out there and with a bit of patience and research it's not a bad way to go.

ScottKilpatrick 12-19-2019 04:17 PM

Thanks everyone - why may I ask might someone pay 5, 7 or 10K+ on a modern Rameriz or Cordoba that is built from the same woods as the $800 model? I know this is probably an unanswerable question.

And yes most shops don't carry $3K classicals but I do live in Southern Cali and I think there may be some places in LA area that specialize in Classicals.

And yes buying used is my first choice if I can try it first though.

SirMrGuitarDude 12-19-2019 05:40 PM

If you stick with one store you could most likely have the store let you take a model home to try for a few days. If you don't like it and exchange it instead of return for your money back you could probably take a few home to try. This will only work if you use one store though, but in my experience guitar sales staff will do anything to move a $3000 classical guitar.

Carey 12-19-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottKilpatrick (Post 6243846)
Thanks everyone - why may I ask might someone pay 5, 7 or 10K+ on a modern Rameriz or Cordoba that is built from the same woods as the $800 model? I know this is probably an unanswerable question.

And yes most shops don't carry $3K classicals but I do live in Southern Cali and I think there may be some places in LA area that specialize in Classicals.

And yes buying used is my first choice if I can try it first though.

To your first sentence: it's in the ear and eye of the beholder, really. It's hard to make a really good-sounding CG, and there are expensive duds as well as
cheap good ones. DAMHIKT.

Tomo 12-19-2019 08:20 PM

I haven't had a nylon string guitar for the last few years but if I were to get one I would get another Pavan TP-30. It's at the low end of your budget but it is a great value for the money.

https://pavanguitars.com/pavan-guitars.php

Bax Burgess 12-19-2019 10:46 PM

The better Classicals match a treble clarity with the warm bass. The Classical's warmth can hypnotize, it did me when I was first looking into this, so be aware that treble lightness/clarity, in addition to the bass, is a big plus. It's not a necessity to spend a lot, just find your decent guitar.

TRose 12-20-2019 05:34 PM

Knowing what scale length and nut width is optimal for you will help you zero in on the right classical guitar in your price range. Whether you plan on playing in your living room, small venues or large concert halls also is a consideration when choosing an Instrument. The guitar that are able to fill large venues with wonderful tone can be the most costly.
I prefer shorter scale( 630-640mm ) and smaller bodied guitars as comfort is more important than volume for my circumstance. I also prefer fan to ladder braced and spruce over cedar. But all that is to say you probably need to play lots of guitars before you know what you like, what feels right, sounds right, etc.
Your budget will allow you to get a really nice guitar, or possibly two nice guitars.
I bought a Kenny Hill Player 628 and a Córdoba Torres Master Copy for the equivalence of your budget. I am happy with both.
Good luck.

ScottKilpatrick 12-20-2019 05:48 PM

Thanks all - yeah it will be for just home playing and I am looking forward to trying a 640 vs a 650 mm at the upcoming NAMM show where i will be able to hold and play several - bad venue for testing tone unfortunately.

I am 5'8" so I am leaning toward a 640 and in the research I am doing I may very well be able to get a used guitar on reverb for 1 to 1.5K.

Carey 12-20-2019 06:33 PM

I've bought only one guitar online, sight unseen- a Loriente Angela, a couple of years ago- and wouldn't do it again, myself.

One opinion.

cdkrugjr 12-21-2019 05:46 AM

There’s honestly no substitute for playing a whole bunch of guitars and seeing what you like.

I played literally EVERYTHING Nylon before settling on my inexpensive Cordoba.

Probably a Keeper even if I get an All Solid later, as I do historic reenactment events that are NOT “Solid Wood and Gut String” friendly most of the time...

rjathon 12-21-2019 11:31 AM

Where are they?

I have been to 5 guitar stores in two states and have yet to find a crossover nylon.

Russ

MC5C 12-21-2019 02:03 PM

The paradox is that unless you know how to play a classical guitar very well indeed, you can't play it well enough to develop the nuance of tone that is what differentiates a great classical guitar from a merely good one. For you and your hands and ears. The difference is less in how they play than in the balance and clarity of tone, particularly in the trebles, how it responds to your touch. So you kind of have to either take a leap of faith and buy one not knowing these things, or take the time to learn how to play. That time will also develop your understanding of what you want and need in a guitar.

One thing anyone can do is play up the neck. It is remarkably hard to play a classical guitar around the 10th to 15th fret and have it sound clear, in tune and balanced. A great guitar makes that easier.