The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A raging rant about clueless "musicians" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562176)

Edgar Poe 10-30-2019 12:30 PM

Fazool;

The one that got me was.

the usual: Diana Ross, The Bangles, Journey, Frank Sinatra."

I've never heard of those artists I wonder what one hit wonders are theirs ?
Ed

fazool 10-30-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar Poe (Post 6199229)
Fazool;

The one that got me was.

Ed

My friend said "yeah, it's too bad Sinatra couldn't make a go of it after that one hit of his"

619TF 10-30-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar Poe (Post 6199229)
Fazool;

The one that got me was.

Ed

Maybe they meant "NUMBER one hit wonders"?

KevWind 10-30-2019 12:56 PM

Please keep it civil people, or thread will be closed

Pitar 10-30-2019 05:12 PM

Strictly solo, or a collaborator SA with no public or otherwise visible part to play. Personalities, no matter how pleasant and cooperative, are still revealed in the way the music is played at the individual level and most times it isn't without a rub. I have never experienced a formal session that wasn't interrupted by differences in styles and preferences. For me, if it ain't exclusive, it ain't conducive. Now, informal jams are something altogether different and can be a whole lot of fun, especially when a group plays songs in rounds.

DenverSteve 10-30-2019 06:36 PM

I thought this was going to be another get off my yard thread. Very funny. Thanks Fazool.

The Growler 10-30-2019 10:56 PM

"Guy wants to play 80's new wave dance songs. Insists on sticking with his current gigs in biker bars."

Hmmmmm... he must be busy playing what three to four shows every night? :D

frankmcr 10-30-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Growler (Post 6199641)
"Guy wants to play 80's new wave dance songs. Insists on sticking with his current gigs in biker bars."

Hmmmmm... he must be busy playing what three to four shows every night? :D

Well, Harley Davidson booked Elton John to headline their 100th Anniversary Party:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/enter...ed/2769671002/

Slothead56 10-31-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6199250)
Please keep it civil people, or thread will be closed

Thereby sending dozens of AGFers back through the thread looking for the offender! Hahaha!

Many thanks to the Mods for their relentless and thoughtful review of all threads. Iíve said it before...Iím on other non-guitar forums where absolutely anything goes. AGF is an oasis in a desert of bad internet behavior!

woodbox 10-31-2019 08:11 AM

Ah yes, the incongruent and delusional abound in musicianship.

I recall a guy who told me:
"I don't give a rip if the audience likes what I play!
I'm an artist, and I play what I want,
and if Im not offending someone,
then I'm not making a strong enough statement!"

I wished him well.
Last I heard of him, he was still perfecting his craft... in his basement.

I've always gone with the adage:
"Play what they want to hear.
Make the audience glad they came."
This has always served me well, although I have a dozen songs I really don't wanna play anymore..
like Mr Buffets song about a drink, and "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" as so many drunk guys call it.

I was rehearsing with a band for a future gig where their regular drummer couldn't make it,
and when I asked for clarification on the third pass of a particular song:
"I see you guys watching/listening to each other, and that's great, but are we going into the 3rd verse after the guitar solo?
Or back into the chorus again?
Which is it?"

The response:
"Details details, you're too hung up on details man, just flow with us."

I left.

MikeBmusic 10-31-2019 08:15 AM

To the OP:
Welcome to MY world.

alnico5 10-31-2019 10:15 AM

I booked a gig, contacted the musicians and told them the details. A while later I was contacted by the distraught lady who hired us. It seems one of the musicians had been going around town trying to get a new location for the gig because he didn't like the stage.

On a later gig the same guy announced an hour before our contracted stopping time, "this will be our last song" because he didn't like playing to small crowds.

I could go on, but I'll stop.

Our music playing together is over.

Guildman 10-31-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnico5 (Post 6200073)
I booked a gig, contacted the musicians and told them the details. A while later I was contacted by the distraught lady who hired us. It seems one of the musicians had been going around town trying to get a new location for the gig because he didn't like the stage.

On a later gig the same guy announced an hour before our contracted stopping time, "this will be our last song" because he didn't like playing to small crowds.

I could go on, but I'll stop.

Our music playing together is over.

That's the kind of thing that will bring out the worst in me. Who do you think you are?

RedJoker 10-31-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guildman (Post 6200081)
That's the kind of thing that will bring out the worst in me. Who do you think you are?

I had a recent gig where I contracted to only play 2 hours. Another performer was in the audience got really bent out of shape because he normally plays 3 hours at the same venue. He asked how I could get away with that and I simply said "We agreed that I'd play 2 hours instead of three."

Apparently, negotiating a different time never occurred to him.

tbeltrans 10-31-2019 10:57 AM

Occasionally, this sort of thread pops up. When I read through these, I am so grateful for the experience I had playing full time professionally back in the late 70s. It was a trio in which each of us did two tasks:

The drummer did the vocals

The bandleader played sax and took keyboard when I took a solo

I played guitar and Crumar footpedal bass

We played MOR (Great American Songbook stuff and pop tunes that had similar style and structure) for the supper crowd for the most part.

It was a job, nothing more, nothing less. I interviewed/auditioned just as I would for any other job. The bandleader would have none of these weird shenanigans and would fire anybody who tried that crap. We were union (AF of M) back then because you had to be to play the Holiday Inn circuit, resorts, and supper clubs we played.

Years later, I played in a couple of non-professional bands, and that is exactly what you get - non-professionals. The behavior is often of the nature being described through this thread.

Tony