The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445364)

justonwo 02-23-2017 11:12 PM

This is turning out so cool.

CoolerKing 03-01-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodger Knox (Post 5243126)
That's several photos of the neck block being constructed, and all the photos are of the bottom. Looks like a mortise and tenion neck joint, and I don't understand the CF reinforcement.

The CF that you're seeing in the joint carries all the way down towards the bottom of the block, similar to what a Spanish heel would do in a classical guitar.

Burton LeGeyt 03-01-2017 02:15 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses! This has been a fun project and I under-estimated what it would take to laminate the sides to shape and have them fit correctly. Also how tricky it would be to get the wood to conform to that curve. using highly figured wood probably didn't help-

The geometry is tricky, and not just the curve- Lots of planes have to come together correctly for it to work right. Much less wiggle room than a standard style guitar. I feel good about it but also don't have the blocks glued in yet :0.........

It gives me a new respect (not that it was lacking....) for the construction of the one this guitar is based on- Solid and 2 piece sides? Yeesh!

I currently have the second side glued up and curing and (fingers crossed) will have the sides glued up to the neck and end block this weekend.

Rodger- The CF is there to reinforce the mortise. By the heelcap it gets really thin and I was worried that it could easily crack if it took an impact. Also, I realized later, I could probably do some damage just in clamping things! The CF keeps it from caving in and deforming and saves me some worry. All good things!

CoolerKing 03-03-2017 11:32 PM

Thanks for chiming in! Here are a few off the cuff photos.

edited until we can get the image hosting correct

rogthefrog 03-03-2017 11:42 PM

This is fantastic. That neck block is epic.

rogthefrog 03-03-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 5243087)
Additionally; any luthiers in the group want to hazard a guess as to how this (the concave/compound curve on the upper bout/neck) was done on the original Martin renaissance guitar? I suppose a ton of experience, patience, practice, etc.

Not a luthier, so this is probably wrong, but I suspect the Martin folks had a few highly trained beavers on hand to do this.

Ken Franklin 03-04-2017 02:51 AM

Way to go Burton!

TomB'sox 03-04-2017 09:34 AM

HEY!!!! I see it now hahaha...fantastic looking. Nailed the original look for sure.

maurerfan 03-04-2017 11:20 AM

Lots of vicarious enjoyment here ... especially since I've had a similar guitar in mind ever since I held and played the original guitar several years ago. This is definitely pressuring the gasometer!!

justonwo 03-04-2017 12:19 PM

Wow, that is quite an amazing feat of craftsmanship.

Burton LeGeyt 03-04-2017 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys- Here is a cleaner shot after some needed sanding. Both top and back are slightly tapered-

Maurerfan, give me a call! No pressure but would love to chat.

Nemoman 03-04-2017 02:07 PM

Looks amazing, Burton!

Woodenhead 03-04-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5251477)
... I under-estimated what it would take to laminate the sides to shape and have them fit correctly. Also how tricky it would be to get the wood to conform to that curve. using highly figured wood probably didn't help-

The geometry is tricky, and not just the curve- Lots of planes have to come together correctly for it to work right. Much less wiggle room than a standard style guitar.

Making the side have a compound curve so that it matches a curve on the heel is insane. The heel on the Martin makes it less complicated than what you're doing.

CoolerKing 03-04-2017 10:38 PM

edited for clarity

maurerfan 03-05-2017 08:43 AM

The shape is perfect ... sooo nice!

TomB'sox 03-05-2017 11:05 AM

Are the drill holes in the neck block to reduce weight?

rogthefrog 03-05-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5256201)
Are the drill holes in the neck block to reduce weight?

Burton might have a termite problem in the shop :(

Jeff Scott 03-05-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogthefrog (Post 5256235)
Burton might have a termite problem in the shop :(

Very artful termites they be, too. :D

Burton LeGeyt 03-05-2017 03:17 PM

Ha! Yes- to reduce weight. The middle section that is solid will be milled out for the fingerboard extension that fits into the block as well. The tongues are both still slightly long too ad will be fit snugly to the first braces.

Trying to get things as light as possible. Since this is the first I am doing I am sure I am overbuilding a bit but I won't be sure until I feel it all strung up. It really is a tiny box :)

Beau Hannam 03-06-2017 06:46 PM

Beautiful Burton. Very, very nice indeed.

Rodger Knox 03-07-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt (Post 5251477)
Rodger- The CF is there to reinforce the mortise. By the heelcap it gets really thin and I was worried that it could easily crack if it took an impact. Also, I realized later, I could probably do some damage just in clamping things! The CF keeps it from caving in and deforming and saves me some worry. All good things!

Thanks, Mr. LeGeyt, I suspected that was the reason after looking at the neck joint a bit more. I'm working on plans for one very similar, at least it's the same size and shape. I'm planning on using pernambuco for the back and sides. I will not be attempting to copy anything from your design, mine will be much less elegant and less structurally sophisticated.

ukejon 03-07-2017 05:01 PM

Amazing project. Look forward to more pics.

Diamondave 03-07-2017 07:46 PM

I jammed out on my LeGeyt for a few hours over the weekend, I couldn't be more impressed! The top is starting to change color and get a bit aged, and tone is getter more warm and sweetr... she sounded incredible 1 week after being built, 6 months deep and I'm even more thrilled... You're gonna love this Koa! Burton, you the Man:D

CoolerKing 03-09-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 5259127)
I jammed out on my LeGeyt for a few hours over the weekend, I couldn't be more impressed! The top is starting to change color and get a bit aged, and tone is getter more warm and sweetr... she sounded incredible 1 week after being built, 6 months deep and I'm even more thrilled... You're gonna love this Koa! Burton, you the Man:D

I'm totally excited too. Having not played your hog CLM, but having my BRZ CLM, I think I can get an idea how light and resonant your guitar is.

Next up--decisions on what type of finish we're using, fretboard/bridge material, and cases. Will keep you posted :)

Diamondave 03-09-2017 04:31 PM

my CLM is the Brazilian one, built for the SB Show... and I Highly recommend the same finish as that, check with Burton, I know its a harder finish and gets sent out... Urethane? The way he builds it sounds more like French Polish guitars I've owned, only this is way tougher... Dry, sensitive, old and raspy in the best of ways.. I'd never choose anything else "personally" if I ordered another from him.

CoolerKing 03-09-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 5261483)
my CLM is the Brazilian one, built for the SB Show... and I Highly recommend the same finish as that, check with Burton, I know its a harder finish and gets sent out... Urethane? The way he builds it sounds more like French Polish guitars I've owned, only this is way tougher... Dry, sensitive, old and raspy in the best of ways.. I'd never choose anything else "personally" if I ordered another from him.

Oh that's right you got the other BRZ. Who bought the figured hog/swiss spruce? Juston knows but I cannot recall.

Burton LeGeyt 03-09-2017 08:14 PM

It went to sunny Arizona-

Dave's guitar is finished in polyester and that he would compare it to his french polished guitars feels like a compliment to me! Thanks for chiming in Dave :up:

justonwo 03-10-2017 12:34 AM

I pushed one of our forum friends to buy the hog CLM, but should have purchased it for myself. Ah well!

CoolerKing 03-23-2017 08:37 PM

Updated neck block

edited.......

Glenn23 03-24-2017 09:18 AM

Wow! Just my cup of tea!