The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Collings D2h vs Traditional (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538078)

cap217 02-14-2019 03:37 PM

Collings D2h vs Traditional

What am I really getting for this upcharge? I know the case now but assume both have the same case. The neck is wider and fatter, hide glue, but what else? Anything that really changes the sound and performance of the guitar? I’m leaning towards the tradition just because I like bigger necks and wider spacing but now I’m at a price point where I have endless options.

I currently have a j45tv that has a nice neck and a bourgeois om vintage. I’m looking for a dread but I also have time to make the right choice.

Also, can you compare these necks to my bourgeois? I feel like my bourgeois is a hard v but small. I can’t find actual specs on the neck size and shape.

AMW 02-14-2019 04:31 PM

The Traditional models have a slightly warmed up midrange, and are ever-so-slightly more bass-forward... so it's taking the Collings voice and turning it a little bit toward the Martin sound (just a little bit, though)

Generally speaking, the Traditionals are some of the best sounding Collings we've ever heard, right out of the box.

https://artisanguitars.com/sites/def...%20Profile.jpg

Chunkier than the normal Bourgeois carve, for sure, with a little more meat in the shoulder. Fills up the hand more and more as you approach the body.

jrb715 02-14-2019 05:16 PM

On three occasions, I've auditioned Traditional and standard D2Hs side by side. I think AMW's description is accurate. Best to think of the Traditional as a slightly different, not necessarily better, sound than the original: warmer giving up a little midrange punch with dreads. But I also do think that they can be more inviting right out of the box: though I've found the standard dreads to warm up and relax a bit with time into pretty spectacular guitars, and variances in individual guitars make the better/worse comparison difficult. When I purchased a Collings dread, the Traditionals I auditioned were better for me than all but one of the standards: which, however, is what I preferred and took home (a D2HA). So, I suppose I end up not preferring one over the other with dreadnoughts, though you will be getting a more substantial neck with the Traditional. In addition to the neck and the animal glue, I believe (not sure) the Traditional has a slightly thinner finish. The difference in price I assume primarily reflects the additional time in production for the Traditional.

dhodgeh 02-15-2019 05:44 AM

Biggest thing for me was the neck profile.

I had a D2H, but the modified V neck and narrower nut width caused me some problems.

Got my hands on a D2H-T, and it's been all smiles. I love that big chunky neck, and the wider nut and increased string spacing provide plenty of room for my fingers.

Sounds great as well.

D

Silly Moustache 02-15-2019 06:55 AM

I am assuming that as Martin introduced the "Authentic" series to meet the challenge of Collings stock offerings, then Collings responded with their T series.

There are no quality issues with the Collings standard series, and they are certainly no issues with their standard versions as far as I'm concerns, although the neck profiles have tended to get thicker over the last twenty years.

According to their website the T series has an even lighter (and so more delicate) finish , "animal" protein (hide? fish?) glues, and probably a lighter bracing/strutting build, which makes them even responsive and even more fragile.
The extra cost of the Martin Authentic series has been said to be at least partially due to higher anticipated warranty claims and it might also be the reason that the T series cost more, but they are competing both on quality and price points.

cap217 02-15-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5980190)
I am assuming that as Martin introduced the "Authentic" series to meet the challenge of Collings stock offerings, then Collings responded with their T series.

There are no quality issues with the Collings standard series, and they are certainly no issues with their standard versions as far as I'm concerns, although the neck profiles have tended to get thicker over the last twenty years.

According to their website the T series has an even lighter (and so more delicate) finish , "animal" protein (hide? fish?) glues, and probably a lighter bracing/strutting build, which makes them even responsive and even more fragile.
The extra cost of the Martin Authentic series has been said to be at least partially due to higher anticipated warranty claims and it might also be the reason that the T series cost more, but they are competing both on quality and price points.

What would make warranty claims go up on the Collings? I understand the Martin. The bridge bracing would be the only thing I could think of.

tippy5 02-15-2019 12:51 PM

Collings has a large fretboard radius change from the nut to the sound hole.
I had a great D2H and enjoyed its bright, but still lush, low mids. Martin like in a way. Long scale, nice frets, 2 3/16" saddle spacing. Really nice medium neck thickness - feel.

I think you would enjoy its decidedly different tone, and feel, from your J 45TV (I have one). Collings D2H seems more of a strummer with sweet blended low mids and lows.
Unless you rip into it with higher action and medium ga. strings.
The Gibson has a beguiling drier and clearer Americana-type lows.

AndrewG 02-15-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cap217 (Post 5980225)
What would make warranty claims go up on the Collings? I understand the Martin. The bridge bracing would be the only thing I could think of.

Lightness of build I expect. There a fine line between implosion and bracing strong enough but light enough to ensure maximum resonance! As Silly Moustache says Chris Martin is on record as saying that the extra cost of the Authentic is to defray anticipated warranty claims on instruments trying to tie themselves into a pretzel. I wonder if any actually did need premature warranty attention. Lovely guitars in any event.

pandaroo 02-15-2019 07:05 PM

I owned a D2H and D2HT at the same time at one point. As you can see from my signature, you know which one i have let go. I am a petite 5'6" with small hands and the chunky neck of the D2HT is just as comfortable for me.

The combination of the protein glue, thinner finish, the revoiced top, meatier neck, lighter build, plus I opted for a baked top, all these really contributed to the tone, warmer, more responsive, deeper bass, louder, more resonant. To me is like a D2H on steroids with a boost in midrange and hint of Martin in it.

Zissou Intern 02-16-2019 02:02 PM

It’s interesting that the Collings Vintage neck is deeper and fuller than the Traditional neck profile. The Vintage Now neck is also slightly bigger at the 1st fret, but the Traditional neck is deeper and more of a V by the time it gets to the 9th fret. I’d like to tryout a D1T.

zoopeda 02-16-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5980477)
Lightness of build I expect. There a fine line between implosion and bracing strong enough but light enough to ensure maximum resonance! As Silly Moustache says Chris Martin is on record as saying that the extra cost of the Authentic is to defray anticipated warranty claims on instruments trying to tie themselves into a pretzel. I wonder if any actually did need premature warranty attention. Lovely guitars in any event.

Totally unsubstantiated. Show me where Chris Martin says Authentics are going to require more warranty work.

Those lightly braced 30s builds got wrecked when players started using heavy gauge strings. That's the only reason they moved the bracing back and beefed them up in the 40s. I don't know anyone using heavy gauge strings on any guitar these days, let alone an Authentic.

ataylor 02-18-2019 09:21 AM

You also might consider the standard D2H with any number of custom specs, from nut width to neck profile to top wood — baked or not. I think if you know it’s the D2H you’re after but just want to dial in the right feel or tonal flavor, you’ve got more than just two cut and dry options. Even the traditional D2H can be ordered with choice of Sitka/Adirondack and baked/non-baked top.

Good luck!

Kh1967 02-19-2019 05:53 AM

I asked Collings about the tonal differences between the standard series and the Traditionals - here is the reply:

Our standard series has a very clear and detailed tone, with lots of overtone activity and crisp/punchy bass response.
We liken the sound of our standard series to the sound of a piano in some ways.
Our Traditional series by comparison is warm and full bodied, with a smoother and more subdued bass response. The harmonic complexion is fairly dry compared to our standard series.
The Traditional guitars are designed to sound more akin to a pre-war Martin.

BrunoBlack 02-19-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kh1967 (Post 5984067)
I asked Collings about the tonal differences between the standard series and the Traditionals - here is the reply:

Our standard series has a very clear and detailed tone, with lots of overtone activity and crisp/punchy bass response.
We liken the sound of our standard series to the sound of a piano in some ways.
Our Traditional series by comparison is warm and full bodied, with a smoother and more subdued bass response. The harmonic complexion is fairly dry compared to our standard series.
The Traditional guitars are designed to sound more akin to a pre-war Martin.

This rings true from my experience.

wreckmarkT 02-19-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haasome (Post 5984339)
This rings true from my experience.

Same here.

I’ve transitioned from D2HA Cocoblo to a D2HA T Madagascar and am thrilled.
The Traditional line just suits my ears better.

I added a D1A T as well. Good stuff still coming from Collings~