The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recording a nylon string guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492546)

MikeBmusic 12-11-2017 09:32 AM

Recording a nylon string guitar

Anyone use a mic technique different than their steel string methods?

Did my first recording of my new Taylor on Friday, and because of time constraints, didn't have time to experiment, so I just set up an LDC 6-9" away from fret 12, but aimed it a little more towards the soundhole than I normally would.
The nylon string rhythm part (semi-picked/strummed) is accompanying the main piano part (arpeggiated), and seemed to mesh okay.
Then I did a lead part on the nylon string, and realized playing on the upper strings (5th to 12th frets) clashed with the piano part, so ended up using only the bottom 4 strings for the lead part. Initial mixing, I've thrown a compressor on the lead part, and may put a second one on the track, too.

rick-slo 12-11-2017 09:53 AM

Off hand I would record about the same as for a flattop but small changes in mike position often have big changes
in sound, and also off hand tuning mismatches (intonation perhaps of the guitar on the treble) of instruments can
cause less than satisfactory results. Post a recording of what you are talking about.

Brent Hahn 12-11-2017 10:34 AM

If it's in a non-classical context, I usually like a single dynamic fairly close. Even if the steel-string acoustic guitars were done with condensers, a dynamic on nylon seems to be a better fit, with no annoying high-end "tink." Sounds goofy, but you might try it.

I usually use a Sennheiser 421, but any decent dynamic should give similar results.

RRuskin 12-11-2017 01:24 PM

I can place the mic or mics considerably further away from a good classical guitar than I can a steel-string.

sdelsolray 12-11-2017 04:57 PM

I agree with Rick...mic placement is usually better a bit farther away than with a steel string acoustic.

One other point, most released classical guitar recordings tend to exhibit a fair amount of large hall reverb, whether natural or added at mixdown. It's easier for a classical guitar recording to sound like those if reverb like that is used.

MikeBmusic 12-12-2017 07:56 AM

This isn't 'classical guitar' though, it's rock/ballad with finger-played nylon string.
The volume level was quite a bit lower than when I record my steel string guitars, hence the close positioning.
I'll try a dynamic mic next time and see how it goes.

The 'clashing' of the lead part was not due to tuning, but the same frequency range so that both interfered with each other. This was more noticeable than when I add a steel string lead to a piano tune, but the arpeggiated part may have also been part of the issue.

rick-slo 12-12-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5566225)
This isn't 'classical guitar' though, it's rock/ballad with finger-played nylon string.
The volume level was quite a bit lower than when I record my steel string guitars, hence the close positioning.

The 'clashing' of the lead part was not due to tuning, but the same frequency range so that both interfered with each other. This was more noticeable than when I add a steel string lead to a piano tune, but the arpeggiated part may have also been part of the issue.

Link to the actual recording would be helpful more than a just a description.

Brent Hahn 12-12-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 5566225)

Here's a countryish ballad with mixed nylon and steel string. The steel string was cut with and LDC, the nylon with either an up-close Sennheiser 421 or an EV 666, I forget which. At the top it's mostly the plain nylon strings. At the end of the bridge, around 1:20, it's in a lower register with more wound-string stuff.