The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larrivee guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69889)

Todd W 10-23-2005 08:24 PM

Larrivee guitars

I'm just wondering what the general concensus is on Larravee guitars. I just traded my Taylor 110 for a new Larrivee LV-03CE. I play in church and enjoyed my Taylor. I had an interest in a new guitar and my brother turned me on to the Larrivee. He does have a Taylor 310 and is an avid Taylor fan. He said look for a guitar that speaks to you. The Larravee did the first time I played it. Nothing against Taylor but I like my Larrivee more than the Taylor, and it may have been that particular guitar. The Larrivee is also solid wood where the Taylor was laminated sides and back. They are really two different class guitars. Just wanting some feedback on what to expect from Larrivee.

solarbean 10-23-2005 08:38 PM

Taylor and Larrivee both make top-notch guitars. An all-solid-wood guitar will typically sound a bit nicer than one with lam b/s - given good quality design and construction (which is the case with both Taylor and Larrivee.) Try out a Taylor 500 series when you get a chance - that will give you an apples to apples comparison.

Stuart 10-23-2005 08:39 PM

For the record, the Taylor 310 has solid back and sides. Glad you found your geetar, Todd. The L-03 is a very nice one. Larrivee is an up-and-comer. They make high quality guitars and seems to have a growing fan base. I almost never hear anybody knock Larrivees, something that can't be said of the "Big 3" - Taylor, Martin, Gibson. I have often considered getting a Larrivee and someday a probably will. The only thing stopping me is the lack of dealers that stock Larrivees. There is only one dealer in my area (NYC) and there Larry stock is extremely limited and their guitars are often in rough condition.

bacustic 10-23-2005 08:51 PM

i bought an om-03 back in the spring (thanks uncleshish). it is a fantastic guitar. it sounds and plays great. i sold a taylor 214 for this one and for the money it is one of the best buys out there. enjoy your larrivee!

Oracle 10-23-2005 08:52 PM

First off : WELCOME TO THE AGF !!!!

You got good advise. Larrivee makes a great guitar, and for the money,
I think you got a better bang for your hard earned bucks. Not knocking
Taylor (I own a couple) , both companies make great guitars.

You found the "one" that spoke to you. Enjoy your instrument.
Keep sharing your talents at church, and give thanks that you can!!

Mike

classicalgasp 10-23-2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarbean
Try out a Taylor 500 series when you get a chance - that will give you an apples to apples comparison.

Not really, at least not price-wise. The 500's are 50% to 100% more than a Larrivee LV-03. The Larrivee is an excellent buy right now.

dreamsinger 10-23-2005 09:47 PM

It's hard to beat an -03. When they're good (and most of them are) they beat Martins costing much more in blindfold tests. The only thing I'd suggest you keep an eye on is the neck angle. If yours was good enough to beat out a Taylor you probably don't have anything to be concerned about but when/if yours needs a neck reset (usually not for 25 years or so but it's been known to happen much sooner) the Larrivee dovetail design is not as conducive to easy disassembly as a Martin or Gibson dovetail. The Taylor bolt-on design is very easy process that you could do as needed to optimized tone and playability rather than waiting until the last minute to do an an overdue, time-consuming and expensive process on the dovetail. You'll most likely outgrow your L-03 long before this becomes neccesary but it's good to know.

flaggerphil 10-24-2005 03:07 AM

Larrivees are great guitars. I've often thought that if I'd found Larrivee before I'd found Taylor I would have jumped into the brand just as much as I've jumped into Taylor.

woodenkings 10-24-2005 04:42 AM

it has been a few years since i played a Larrivee but it was a thinline model and i truly enjoyed it - God bless!

aschroeder 10-24-2005 08:31 AM

I own both a Taylor 714 and a Larrivee D03. Both are great guitars. Larrivee is probably more similar to Martin than Taylor. Just different flavors of sound. I prefer Taylor's clarity and responsiveness, but I still love my Larrivee.

Daddyo 10-24-2005 08:32 AM

I own a Larrivee L03R and think it is a great guitar. Taylors are great guitars too but generally cost more. The 03 series is such a good deal because you aren't paying for the fancy bindings and gloss lacquer. Satin finish and ivoroid (plastic) bindings. The guitar itself is the same quality materials of any of the upper models - all solid wood. Larrivees tend to have a more balanced voice than Taylors which often seem voiced too much in the high frequencies.

bleumax 10-24-2005 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddyo
I own a Larrivee L03R and think it is a great guitar. Taylors are great guitars too but generally cost more. The 03 series is such a good deal because you aren't paying for the fancy bindings and gloss lacquer. Satin finish and ivoroid (plastic) bindings. The guitar itself is the same quality materials of any of the upper models - all solid wood. Larrivees tend to have a more balanced voice than Taylors which often seem voiced too much in the high frequencies.

All of the 03 series now come w/ maple binding.

axememan 10-24-2005 09:38 AM

mmmmm Larrivee good...i have a DO-2..GR8!..THEY ARE KINDA UNDER THE RADAR AT THIS TIME....GOOD BANG FOR THE buck.....those DO-2'S are gr8 bargains

Gunny 10-24-2005 10:48 AM

Hard to find much negative to say about Larrivee guitars. They are well-built, dovetail guitars that still have a "handmade, small outfit" kind of feel to them. The have some great vintage looks to some of the models that is really appealing. I've came so close to pulling the trigger on one several times, but the models I really want are out of my range in price.

axememan 10-24-2005 10:59 AM

id love any of the '10' series.........but if you can score a '02' series snatch one up...you wont be sorry.......