The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Waterbead hydration update (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535573)

lowrider 01-23-2019 06:01 AM

Waterbead hydration update

I put one of these home-made units in my four cases with the guitars an hygrometers about the first week of December;

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...392708/enhance

I have two guitars in each house and the Dread Jr is in it's gig bag. I just recharged the beads in both houses this week. They were about half sized in the hard cases and very small in the gig bag. Hygrometer readings in the rooms, yesterday upstate 26%, Long Island, today, 25%. Inside all four cases, even the gig bag, are steadily in the low 50's. This is the first time I've had to do anything with these.

They've been effortless to use and it only cost me about $30 for all four of them.

Paddy1951 01-23-2019 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 5957179)
I put one of these home-made units in my four cases with the guitars an hygrometers about the first week of December;

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...392708/enhance

I have two guitars in each house and the Dread Jr is in it's gig bag. I just recharged the beads in both houses this week. They were about half sized in the hard cases and very small in the gig bag. Hygrometer readings in the rooms, yesterday upstate 26%, Long Island, today, 25%. Inside all four cases, even the gig bag, are steadily in the low 50's. This is the first time I've had to do anything with these.

They've been effortless to use and it only cost me about $30 for all four of them.

Lowrider, where did you purchase the beads? Thanks.

lowrider 01-23-2019 06:30 AM

I got them from Amazon; cheap, cheap. But you can get them in any craft store like Michaels.

Silly Moustache 01-23-2019 06:39 AM

I've done the same - but I would warn that I've had one or two of mine leak a little leaving a sticky residue between guitar and case lining.

I now use boxes with less drilled holes and put a microfibre cloth between box and guitar ..just in case.

musicman1951 01-23-2019 06:44 AM

I've done the same. I just recharged mine. Works great and lasts longer than the sponge they replaced.

The Bard Rocks 01-23-2019 07:35 AM

I use them in several guitars. Instead of in a hard box, they are in two little cotton bags (2" long) which in turn are in fleece bags connected by a ribbon, allowing me to drape them over the strings and into the body cavity.

They last far longer than other hydrators that I've used (green guitar snakes, Kyser, Planet Waves, Oasis....) and are easy to tell when they need water - they feel like individuals little jellies, then even later, start to get crunchy. There is one drawback - if you want to call it that. They lake much longer to rehydrate, which of course provides an excuse to play some while I am waiting.

fazool 01-23-2019 08:04 AM

I put a thin slice of sponge between the beads and the holes - that way there is no contact and they can't fall out when they dry and shrivel up

robj144 01-23-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 5957190)
I got them from Amazon; cheap, cheap. But you can get them in any craft store like Michaels.

I say this every time someone mentions price. You can get a large container at the dollar store for $1... enough for 3 or 4 soap dish sized containers.

Not only that, you can the containers at the dollar store for 3 for $1 too.

I bought enough beads and cases for about 12 cases for about $8.

lowrider 01-23-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks (Post 5957231)
I use them in several guitars. Instead of in a hard box, they are in two little cotton bags (2" long) which in turn are in fleece bags connected by a ribbon, allowing me to drape them over the strings and into the body cavity.

I did that too, but with just cotton bags. It was too much though. The hygrometer reading was in the sixties.

I got the bags and silca flake pouches this summer, during our high humidity scare. They worked nicely to dry out the guitars that got pretty stuffy. So, I almost went right from dehumidifying to humidifying with only a few weeks in between.

pszy22 01-23-2019 10:14 AM

I've been using these same beads and soap dishes for the past 7 or 8 years. They have worked great. Everything bought in Walmart, total cost per unit around $2.00. Envelope of beads, enough for probably 10 units was $3.00, soap dishes were a buck, six sponges were a couple bucks. Of course, costs could be more now since I bought everything 7 - 8 years ago. You do want to use sponges that are antimicrobial, they don't seem to grow mildew. Only thing you really need to do is drill some holes in the soap dish.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/39/72/0e/3...703a4dab90.jpg

G-Money 01-23-2019 11:19 AM

So other than the poster who designed a sound-hold hanger, where are you guys putting the box of beads? In the accessory box? It effectively humidifies the entire case and guitar from there (I never got a good sense if air can circulate from the neck/headstock area to the guitar body area or whether it's pretty well sealed off by the lining being pressed against the guitar top)

lowrider 01-23-2019 12:15 PM

I have one that sits in the cut-away area of the body, one in the accessory compartment, one under the headstock and one that floats around in the gig bag of the Dread Jr. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Same thing with hygrometers, they go wherever they go and I get similar reading for all of them.

FLRon 01-23-2019 12:56 PM

What are these beads called? Not sure what to look for in the "bead section" at Walmart.😁

lowrider 01-23-2019 02:12 PM

They are called ''waterbeads''. Look in the craft section of your store.

FLRon 01-23-2019 03:04 PM

Gotcha, thanks.