The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Appreciation for the Allman Bros Band (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508195)

Dwight 04-23-2018 07:48 PM

Appreciation for the Allman Bros Band

I grew up in the Era of the Allman Brothers and saw them a few times in the mid 70's. Back then I was tired of blues, ....it was a long decade of the same old tired thing between the Beatles and the MTV Pop music I so welcomed and was excited about.

Forward to my 50's and I actually wanted to hear the Allman Bros. Band. So I went to see them a couple of times (with Derek Trucks). I barely noticed anyone else in the band he is so amazing!!!

It might have been just a year or so ago that I realized what a great singer Gregg is and what a heck of a band they put together. I just started the book One Way Out and can see I'm developing an appreciation of what they accomplished. Guess I'm a little late:)

RP 04-23-2018 08:00 PM

Late? Nah! Better late than never. Although I saw them perform several times over the years, with Jerry Garcia, I'm just starting to develop an appreciation for the Dead...

viccortes285 04-23-2018 08:41 PM

In the 70's I seen the Allman Brothers at Hosfstra University on Long Island, N.Y. Jimi was opening for the Allman Brothers.

Mbroady 04-23-2018 08:42 PM

Sometimes I miss the days of the 20 minute self indulgent guitar solo.

Floridapicker 04-23-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5709934)
Late? Nah! Better late than never. Although I saw them perform several times over the years, with Jerry Garcia, I'm just starting to develop an appreciation for the Dead...

You must have seen them early. Jerry sat in with them several times but it was in the early 70's. Check out the "Live Dead" album from the early 70's. Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are essential listening as well. The Allman Bros. and the Dead are two totally beasts. I love them both. Keep on pickin'

FP

SpiderTrap 04-23-2018 10:21 PM

Saw them at Melbourne FL Civic Center Late 69 Just before they hit it Big maybe 40 people there

Pura Vida 04-24-2018 12:35 AM

Can we take a moment to discuss the unbelievable roster of guitarists throughout their history? Duane, Dickie, Warren, and Derek.

I saw them several times in the 90s, including one magical day in August 1994.

The day began with the late Allen Woody chatting it up with our group because no one else recognized him walking around the amphitheater grounds (sometimes it pays to arrive early!). He hung out on the lawn with our group for about 30 minutes and took another stroll of the merch and food booths, clearly enjoying his anonymity.

Later that afternoon, I got to meet a few members at an impromptu jam session, taking place at a merch tent during their 1994 H.O.R.D.E tour, while another band was on the main stage.

And then the ABB played a fantastic 2.5 hour set, including a guest appearance by an undiscovered singer, named Sheryl Crow (performing "Midnight Rider").

Oh, and this was the first concert road trip with my then girlfriend / now wife of 22 years. Sure, babe, we meet the band at all the shows! ;)

Murphy Slaw 04-24-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbroady (Post 5709967)
Sometimes I miss the days of the 20 minute self indulgent guitar solo.

To me, the Brothers were much more than that. It was a groove thing, and letting it live through itself.

And multiple musicians bouncing off each other.

Different opinions and stuff.

Mr. Jelly 04-24-2018 05:11 AM

Old man alert! After Duane Allman and Berry Oakley passed away they were never the same for me. Though their music lived on with the band in a way.

Bob Womack 04-24-2018 05:41 AM

Back at the beginning of the '70s a friend left their first two albums at my house after a band rehearsal. I curled up with the albums and drank them in. It was my first introduction to really passionate lead guitar. Duane and Dickey had a really profound influence on my guitar career. I kind of adopted Duane's full-tilt, "all in or not at all" way of approaching lead. His ability to call up pathos was phenomenal.

I saw the Allman Brothers on their "never trust a band under 30" tour in 1999 with Derek. I saw Eric a while later with his band, opening for Eric Johnson.

Bob

Dru Edwards 04-24-2018 06:51 AM

I didn't realize they were still performing under that name. Derek Trucks is a great player and hopefully brings a new generation of fans to the SG.

rokdog49 04-24-2018 07:03 AM

My brother turned me on to the Allman Brothers with the "Live at the Fillmore" album. He was killed at he 18 in a car accident that same year. I will always remember him and every time I hear an AB song, I think of him.

Bob Womack 04-24-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 5710188)
I didn't realize they were still performing under that name. Derek Trucks is a great player and hopefully brings a new generation of fans to the SG.

Dru, they ceased operating a couple of years ago.

Bob

RP 04-24-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floridapicker (Post 5709991)
You must have seen them early. Jerry sat in with them several times but it was in the early 70's...

FP

Yeh...9/11/1973 https://archive.org/details/gd73-09-...184.sbeok.shnf

architype 04-24-2018 07:55 AM

I saw them in the late 90's in Atlanta. An outdoor show that lasted about 3 hours. That is still in the top 5 on my live show list. I've never danced so much at a concert. Everyone was dancing.
I saw Greg about 4 years ago with his son opening for him. He was still great. One of the best soul and blues singers I know of.