The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What types/genres of music do you like? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534142)

Muddslide 01-09-2019 05:10 PM

What types/genres of music do you like?

The "hating on modern country" thread got me curious about what folks here enjoy listening to.

Not just "what kinds of music do you play on your guitar?" but what do you dig listening to? I presume many of us listen to many types of music, and its not always in line with what we play.

I was born in '68 and grew uo hearing older and then-current popular music on the radio.

At home, my dad listened almost strictly to classical and jazz. My mom liked things like Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, June Christy, The Mills Brothers and some early rock and roll (Elvis, Roy Orbison...)

When I first began buying records it was mostly hard rock. Admittedly I was a KISS fan...later on things like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, and so on.

Along about 1980 I got hooked into New Wave and punk...Devo, Cars, B-52s, Iggy, The Cramps...and soon far more obscure stuff. Back then I would either get turned on to new bands through friends, magazines or literally going to record stores and buying albums based solely on the band name, cover art and song titles. That was hit and miss, but I discovered some of my all-time favorite bands through those methods.

I always seemed to be drawn to obscure, oddball, experimental sorts of music. Much of it was still considered punk or industrial or early electronic things.

I also developed a love of "out" and free jazz as well as avant garde 20th century classical music.

By my early 20s I had very wide-ranging tastes. I came to really appreciate classic rock of the 60s, psychedelic music from that era and 70s radio hits ala Elton John, ELO, Tom Petty, Buckingham-Nicks era Fleetwood Mac..

I find a lot of the 80s new wave and punk stuff I loved back then does not hold up well now, though there are still many bands from that period that I love and whose music has stood the test of time.

Now my main interests seem to be:

Blues, country, ragtime, hot jazz and jug band music of the 1920s and 30s.

Jazz circa 1950-1965.

Early rock and roll and rockabilly along with 50s-60s country.

Fuzz/psych/garage stuff and some hippie folk from the 60s & 70s.

Certain punk bands of the 80s.

Experimental, sometimes electronic music (not dance...more like noisy soundscapes and ambient.)

Celtic and other folk music from cultures across the globe.

Of course, bits and bobs of different things such as some ska and reggae, some classical, some modern pop...

I also listen to a good bit of classical music including a lot of classical guitar material...

Brucebubs 01-09-2019 05:22 PM

I was hypnotized by Sgt Peppers when I 1st heard it as a kid growing up in the 60's.
Got another buzz a few years later with Tommy by The Who then in the early 70's I discovered the Yes Album and all those contributed to me loving progressive or 'prog' rock.

I also came across a Windham Hill yearly compilation CD many years later and found myself buying every WH album I could find.

Kerbie 01-09-2019 05:42 PM

Blues, jazz and classical... and a little rock, pop and folk.

rokdog49 01-09-2019 05:43 PM

I like just about everything in degrees, I appreciate and like most genre's.
Since I said just about I can list a few things I don't care for at all and in no particular order:

Hair Bands in general.
Most Punk Rock
Most Modern Country with a few exclusions.
Hip-hop
Most modern Pop

Paddy1951 01-09-2019 06:01 PM

I have one of the broadest selections of music. My music tastes are all over the place.

Though it was not my era, I really like Big Band. So many wonderful musicians.

So, it's most rock at least up to the late 80s, early 90s. Classic rock I guess. I like a lot of the earlier rock too.

Motown, real R&B ( 60's-70s), soul, some Funk.

Later jazz. Chet Baker. Dizzy. Dave Bruebeck. Louie Belson.

Lots of folk. Pete Seeger, Peter, Paul and Mary. Too many to list.

Blues. I used to live an hour's drive from Chicago. I spent many a weekend at the numerous blues clubs. Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Lonnie Brooks. Koko Taylor, Son Seals, Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows. There were so many.
I have a lot of blues in my music library.

Outlaw Country. Willie and Waylon and more.
Lots of classic Country, too. I love Patsy Cline. Maybe the best female Country singer, ever.

Southern Rock. Atlanta Rhythm Section, Allman Bros., Marshal Tucker, Heartsfield.

Horn bands. Tower of Power, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chase.

No apologies. I am a big John Denver fan. RIP John.

Huge John Prine fan.

Gotta stop. Running out of battery.

Back.

I like classical music when I am in the mood.

I have played and like Irish Trad for over 20 years. I like the Irish/Celtic vocal music too.

Summary, I like most music. I am willing to give things a try.

Don't like rap. I consider it an an art form but not music.
Don't like most Hip Hop. Don't like oompa polka music. Technopop.

No offense to anybody that does like these.

raysachs 01-09-2019 06:06 PM

In terms of what I play, blues and rock and singer/songwriter stuff. Mostly. Played a lot of electric blues and rock as a kid, lots of jams, bands, etc. Now I play a lot of electric blues and am trying to learn acoustic fingerpicking blues. Other than that most of my acoustic playing has always been just finding the chords to songs and strumming/picking them and attempting to sing them. I'm only an OK guitarist at best and I'm a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better guitarist than singer. But I sing anyway, just not within earshot of anyone if I can help it. Stuff like Stones, Dylan, Neil Young, Dead, James Taylor, Beatles, Springsteen, Petty. Just whatever good songs catch my fancy, mostly fairly simple ones to play and really simple ones to sing.

In terms of listening, I like anything related to the blues. Be it rock, jazz, R&B, soul, old time country and bluegrass, gospel. And, of course back to the original blues as well. Anything that gets too far from that tends to get pretty far from me as well.

-Ray

Silly Moustache 01-09-2019 06:07 PM

In the '0s I was deeply into the London R&B scene -saw the Stones, Mayall, Jeff Beck, Cyril Davies, Alexis Korner,the Yardbirds etc, and was tutored by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards about what country and Chicago blues players to explore. Charlie Watts taught me drumming styles and within a year I was in my own R&B school band which went on to be tolerably successful. We opened for acts like the Who, Graham Bond (with Clapton and Ginger) but I've told that story.

Some time later I played in a soul band, keyboards, saxes etc., so I got into that.

Then into heavy rock, stuff like Free etc.

Saw Tom Rush at a festival and got into singer songwriters - took up guitar. Favoured the Texas singer songwriters with Guy Clark easily at the top of my list.

Shared a flat in London with another AGF member and he introduced me to country rock and bluegrass.

Then, much later I got into"new old time"

Acts like this :

and :

and :

Riverwolf 01-09-2019 06:59 PM

I play a lot of boom/chicka and carter style with a little bluegrass.
I even put that twist on songs it was never intended for.
However, I don't like listening to it. Weird.
I listen to 60-70-80-90's rock. Mostly easy rock, folk/rock, etc...
Neil Young is my fave male artist.
Female varies widely, Suzanne Vega,Lucinda Williams, Stevie Nicks...

Mandobart 01-09-2019 07:30 PM

My mom and dad both loved classical music. My dad also enjoyed hearing and playing classical guitar and flamenco. My mom played piano at church, and I grew up singing those good old fashioned hymns. I played violin in orchestra from grade school through high school, and electric bass in jazz band. Of course I also played in a high school rock garage band, where we played a lot of ZZ Top, Led Zep and Stones. My biggest influences when I started acoustic guitar in the '70's were Gram Parsons, Neil Young, John Prine and early Eagles (stuff that became known as "Americana" in 1995).

These days my favorite genres to play and listen to are bluegrass, old (pre-1990) C&W, gypsy jazz and swing, folk, Hawaiian slack key and Americana.

AmericanEagle 01-09-2019 07:49 PM

Led Zep

Classic rock of the 60’s and 70’s

RussL30 01-09-2019 08:10 PM

I like many types and genres but my all time favorite is old classic country. This can range from very early country, to outlaw country and I like 80’s early 90s country like George Strait, Keith Whitley, Doug Stone etc. I like some of the modern guys that do country the right way as well.

I’m also big on SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, John Mayer etc. Being from Mississippi I also love sevral different types of blues. I like Southern rock and some classic rock too.

Blueser100 01-09-2019 08:41 PM

I love folk, 70’s singer-songwriter stuff, and Piedmont blues. I just started learning some Don McLean songs.

Steve DeRosa 01-09-2019 09:06 PM

• Pre-Second Viennese School and neo-classical "art music" (the term "classical" in fact referring to a specific subgenre/time period)
  • 1920-1955 jazz
  • Vocal harmony of all kinds - choral, barbershop, jazz, doo-wop, Gospel, folk-rock, modern acappella, etc.
  • Roots/Americana/rockabilly
  • Neo-traditional/"Coffeehouse" folk
  • Irish/Celtic
  • Latin/Pan-Spanish/Tex-Mex
  • Early/classic country
  • Blues
  • '50s/60s R&R
  • Surf
  • Brill Building/Phil Spector NYC R&R
  • First-wave ('64-65) British Invasion
  • Motown/Atlantic-Stax-Volt soul and R&B
  • Pre-disco Philly soul
  • Horn-band rock/R&B
  • Contemporary Christian/Praise-&-Worship

Muddslide 01-09-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 5943754)
[LIST][*]Pre-Second Viennese School and neo-classical "art music" (the term "classical" in fact referring to a specific subgenre/time period)...

Correct, of course. As opposed to Baroque, Romantic era, etc.

A lazy sod, I use the generic (and inaccurate) term "classical music" as an umbrella term...

mr. beaumont 01-09-2019 09:55 PM

Jazz, past and current, the Dead, classic country, 90's indie rock, dub reggae, experimental electronic, a bit of pop and rock from here and there, underground hip hop, Slayer, y'know, the usual.

Basically, I like a lot of jazz and a little bit of almost everything else.