The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Not a Gibson fan.. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555878)

Aaron1061 08-25-2019 11:28 PM

Not a Gibson fan..

....but I picked this one up at a GC on a road trip, and it was love at first strum. Ended up driving all the way home yesterday and then all the way back today to get her. There's some magic in this particular J45. This is by far the best acoustic I've played or owned, and I've had Taylor's, martins and takamines. It has a GORGEOUS walnut figured back and the sound is so sweet, balanced and crisp yet Woody.. it was actually my wife that told me I needed to have it.

Anyway, NGD!!! J45 Studio! Am I playing authentic now??

https://www.tdpri.com/attachments/im...49-jpg.634534/

Jaden 08-25-2019 11:42 PM

Looks great! Congrats! We may be in distinguished era for Gibson acoustics with domestic (black) walnut. Smart move on their part, and this wood suits their traditionally dry signature tone.

Brucebubs 08-25-2019 11:45 PM

I keep reading about finding 'the one' with Gibson guitars.
Nice to see you found yours.

rabbuhl 08-25-2019 11:47 PM

Listen to your wife especially when she says to buy a guitar. ;-)

N+1 08-26-2019 01:38 AM

Hearty congratulations.

Pretty much the same happened to me. I'm not a Gibson fan at all, but I was recommended to try a J45 Studio just like yours last November. It was superb. It seemed alive in my hands, responding to every nuance of touch, and I knew I'd be a fool not to buy it. So I did.

It stands out - not as 'the best', but as a unique and lovable character - among my guitars. I think there's an emphasis on the top and bottom ends with a bit of a midrange scoop, but that sounds perfect for this instrument.

So three cheers for you. You have a great guitar there. Funnily enough my wife said much the same as yours. 'You really did need a Gibson,' she suggested!

Incidentally, I played a different J45 Studio on the same day (there were two in the shop), and although it was very good, I would not have bought it. So there seems to be some significant variation between individual instruments, but then that's not surprising for Gibson guitars.

Wade Hampton 08-26-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N+1 (Post 6146504)
So three cheers for you. You have a great guitar there. Funnily enough my wife said much the same as yours. 'You really did need a Gibson,' she suggested!

Incidentally, I played a different J45 Studio on the same day (there were two in the shop), and although it was very good, I would not have bought it. So there seems to be some significant variation between individual instruments, but then that's not surprising for Gibson guitars.

It's not surprising with any all-solid wood acoustic guitar, really. They vary from one example to the next. That's what makes finding a really great one so rewarding!

Aaron, congratulations on your cool new guitar. I have several walnut instruments, and think it's a terrific tonewood.

Wade Hampton Miller

nickv6 08-26-2019 03:27 AM

Same thing happened to me. Picked up a new j45 studio in my local store and couldn't believe the sound. Then I looked at the amazing back. I played the other j45s there but this studio was just fantastic. I had to take it home........
Nick

Proclaimer888 08-26-2019 04:30 AM

Nice pick up!! Chevy or Ford??[RIGHT[/RIGHT]

Murphy Slaw 08-26-2019 04:51 AM

Nice.

I AM a Gibson fan and bought a walnut J-15 to go along with my Rosewood/ebony J-45.

Love the walnut.

Sax Player Guy 08-26-2019 06:33 AM

Congrats, Aaron! But, wait a minute... no picture of the back? :(
Let's see that walnut! :)

Aaron1061 08-26-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N+1 (Post 6146504)
Hearty congratulations.

Pretty much the same happened to me. I'm not a Gibson fan at all, but I was recommended to try a J45 Studio just like yours last November. It was superb. It seemed alive in my hands, responding to every nuance of touch, and I knew I'd be a fool not to buy it. So I did.

It stands out - not as 'the best', but as a unique and lovable character - among my guitars. I think there's an emphasis on the top and bottom ends with a bit of a midrange scoop, but that sounds perfect for this instrument.

i played a number of other j45's in the store to see if i was crazy, and none of the others sounded as good! i even went to a GC close to home and tried their j45 studio they had in stock hoping i wouldnt have to drive all the way back to this specific store, and nope.. it was a dud. didnt sound or play nearly as nice. or look as nice. i suppose when you know, you know!

Aaron1061 08-26-2019 07:31 AM

https://www.tdpri.com/attachments/im...07-jpg.634613/

here's the back!!

Hoopla 08-26-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron1061 (Post 6146622)

Congrats on this fine instrument. You will find me here on the forum saying wonderful things about my J-45 studio as well. And like you I lucked out with an amazing sounding and looking natural version.

May you play it for years to come

billyg 08-26-2019 08:43 AM

Beautiful Guitar! I am also a Gibson Fan and believe in the J45, J50s. I also agree with poster who stated that walnut should work well with the "Gibson sound."

Glennwillow 08-26-2019 08:45 AM

Congrats on the new J-45 Aaron! What a great looking guitar! Enjoy!

- Glenn