The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Alright - who bought that beautiful cocobolo woody X7... FESS UP (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517527)

Methos1979 08-04-2018 09:13 AM

Alright - who bought that beautiful cocobolo woody X7... FESS UP

I just KNOW it had to be one of you here!! Fess up!!:D

Howlin Bob 08-04-2018 11:41 PM

Fessing up

I couldn't resist. I'm looking forward to this beauty.

Bob

Methos1979 08-05-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlin Bob (Post 5801143)

Bob

A-HA! I knew it!! Congratulations, sir. You have made an astute purchase, you luck dog!!

Captain Jim 08-05-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Bob

Congratulations, Bob - that is a gorgeous guitar! Looking forward to your impressions when you get it.

Guest 928 08-05-2018 09:16 AM

Excellent haul, congratulations!

Gordon Currie 08-05-2018 10:34 AM

Congratulations on snapping it up before my GAS took over ;) I would be proud and excited to walk out onto a stage with that guitar!

guitararmy 08-05-2018 11:10 AM

Congrats are certainly in order, that was quite a beauty.

Carmel Cedar 08-05-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, Bob. That was an astute, well-executed upgrade play. Selling your old X7 (in less than 30 minutes on AGF, as I recall) and quickly (just minutes later) snapping up that gorgeous Cocobolo woody. Well done, good sir! :up:

jdinco 08-05-2018 01:31 PM

Congrats on that beauty ! And I'd like to know who bought the (In Stock) blue X7 off the Emerald site that I had been thinking about. Way too long obviously.

Howlin Bob 08-05-2018 03:39 PM

Thanks, all. It was a no-brainer to upgrade. I passed along my good deal buying originally, and Kharma held up. I knew it wouldn't last long.

Looking forward to the Woody's arrival. I'm jazzed.

Bob

Howlin Bob 08-10-2018 12:49 PM

NGD Woody - wowza

1 Attachment(s)
I just received my woody select in Cocobolo. I had to sell my 2015 X7 to justify the upgrade.

What are the differences besides the looks? Well, it's hard not to appreciate the good looks, but here goes. 👍

First, the woody X7 feels a few ounces heavier. It's not too heavy for a parlor sized guitar. It does feel " more like" a full wood parlor if that makes sense. I suppose it's from the wood topping.

Second, notes sound "rounder" to my ear, with greater resonance. I'm not sure if it's strings (Elixirs vs Martin Marquis) or the wood or something unseen. I'm relatively new to the CF world and understand there is considerable debate over what strings sound best. To my ear, the Elixers are pretty good and worth a try.

Finally, it's an outstanding do-anything small guitar. I travel a fair bit and loved my original Emerald. This one feels like a new, old friend.

And...it looks pretty amazing.

Be well, y'all.

Bob

casualmusic 08-10-2018 02:09 PM

Hi Bob.

Congrats on that lovely X7.

Is this the new larger 2018 version? If so is it loud enough to play along with other guitars at jams and festivals?

I'm looking for another travel guitar because I've been asked to play louder when it's my turn and the others are soft pedalling. Realisticly will probably need to bring an OM or larger.

Thanks.

Howlin Bob 08-10-2018 03:15 PM

Hi Casualmusic,

Yes, it's a January 2018 build and feels really nice. I'm only 48 hours into the honeymoon. ;)

I haven't tried it amplified yet, but expect it could be a worthy road companion for you. It's louder by a smidge (different strings?) than the X7 I sold to Black Squirrel (see classifieds), but I played out just fine in small gatherings. I'm strictly an amateur. The pros on the forum may have a different perspective.

Good luck with your search.

I'm impressed so far.

Bob

mountainmaster 08-10-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howlin Bob (Post 5806237)
Hi Casualmusic,

Yes, it's a January 2018 build and feels really nice. I'm only 48 hours into the honeymoon. ;)

I haven't tried it amplified yet, but expect it could be a worthy road companion for you. It's louder by a smidge (different strings?) than the X7 I sold to Black Squirrel (see classifieds), but I played out just fine in small gatherings. I'm strictly an amateur. The pros on the forum may have a different perspective.

Good luck with your search.

I'm impressed so far.

Bob

Not to spoil your honeymoon, but didn't Emerald still make the old version back in January 2018? The shape of the sound hole also looks different from the current model shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoquFKCRz_A

Carmel Cedar 08-10-2018 05:06 PM

I think both of ya are correct. It's a Jan 2018 build, but it's not the new version of the X7 introduced in mid-2018. And the version from Jan 2018 is newer than the older X7 without the offset soundhole.

We might have to name the versions (like Apple's Gen1, 2, etc. iPod naming) - it's easy to get confused! :confused: