The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Mono-Genre Players? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636324)

Mandobart 01-07-2022 11:41 AM

Mono-Genre Players?

On another musical forum I frequent there was a question about whether people primarily played a specific genre. The majority of responses were no.

That got me curious. Are you a single genre guitar player or do you play a lot of different genres? For those who prefer one genre, which do you prefer?

I know someone will complain that your favorite genre isn't included in the poll. Feel free to complain, choose "other" or keep scrolling....

Kerbie 01-07-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandobart (Post 6899685)
Feel free to complain, choose "other" or keep scrolling....

Nobody here does that... do they? :cool:

I've never been a one-genre player. I like to play and listen to several different genres. Always will.

Silly Moustache 01-07-2022 11:52 AM

Hi,

To my British pals, I describe my style as American influenced singer-songwriter folk, country and blues.
They usually go quiet and chew on that for a while.

I really developed my style thrashing out rhythm in British bluegrass band in the '70s and early '80s.

in the '90s when I re-learnt to sing and play - it was much more about singer-songwriters and mostly those from Texas (wish sprinkling of Greg Brown, David Olney, John Gorka etc.

Then as time went on I went backwards into the Jimmie Rodgers and Hokum material from the 20s and '30s.

Can't leave out Hank Williams.

edit: the poll came up after I'd written the above. I put "folk2 which is exactly what my answer doesn't indicate to Brits.

1neeto 01-07-2022 12:00 PM

I play most rock genres, pop, and getting into Hawaiian slack key. I even do some country from time to time.

jklotz 01-07-2022 12:21 PM

Jeez, I'm not sure. I mostly do fingerstyle arrangements of songs I like. I guess that mostly falls into rock and country/Americana, but I used to play electric lead in a country bands. But I don't think you could call what I do now traditional in any sense. Guess I'll have to check "other".

Bushleague 01-07-2022 08:39 PM

Very hard to answer. I mostly play original music, and I will literally borrow elements from just about any danged music that can be made to sound half decent on an acoustic guitar. Alot of the non-original stuff I play is heavily re-worked to make it more "interesting". I'd say that most of what I do tends to be rock based with lots of bluegrass and blues licks thrown in, but I'm constantly evolving. While I listen mostly to rock music, I feel that if you want to get a bit gnarly on an acoustic you need to delve further into roots and world music, rock licks on an acoustic tend to only sound so good.

So... while I dont consider myself a bluegrass, reggae, funk or blues player; those elements all regularly end up in the mix along with jazz and classical to a lesser extent. So do I play lots of types of music or am I just a folk/rock hack with no shame?

TBman 01-08-2022 01:53 PM

I'm in "other" - Celtic and other related types i.e. The Water Is Wide (Ed Gerhard), Masaaki Kishibe, Al Petteway's music, etc.

Brent Hahn 01-08-2022 01:58 PM

Would “standards” (30s — 50s) fall under Gypsy/Swing? They were the Pop of the time, but not now.

The Bard Rocks 01-13-2022 08:45 PM

I enjoy more genres than I play, but my playing is quite varied. Most of my time is centered on old time country, fiddle tunes, acoustic blues, songwriter stuff, traditional folk, and Celtic. Every day is different.

The Bard Rocks 01-13-2022 08:47 PM

I enjoy more genres than I play, but my playing is quite varied. Most of my time is centered on old time country, fiddle tunes, acoustic blues, songwriter stuff, traditional folk, and Celtic. Every day is different.

PS, I didn't vote. Too many of what I play were not on the list. To the OP, you can't get them all.