The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Greenfield G3 Build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605014)

jdelin86 01-25-2021 10:41 AM

Greenfield G3 Build

Greetings!

As some of you may know, I'm a huge fan of Michael Greenfield's work, and have been for some years. I currently have a G2 fan fret as my main guitar, and am expecting one of Michael's new concert classical models later this year (barring another COVID apocalypse).

I also have another build slot for the following year (ish), for which we'd pencilled in a G5 (his mini / soprano guitar).

However, having spent some time recently playing smaller bodied guitars, I'd begun to yearn for something of that ilk. I love my G2, but to borrow a quote, sometimes you can be 'too close for missiles' and need to 'switch to guns'.

In addition, last time Mike & I hung out together, we were joined by the immensely talented Pipo Romero. Pipo is one of Michael's artists & he plays a few G3 models. I tried one, and I loved it.

So this weekend we chatted again & concluded, a special G3 would be nice. I have a penchant for rosewood (or rosewood-sounding) guitars, and Michael has a very special collection to choose from. We're pairing it with moon spruce, a DADGAD fan, a couple of bevels and a few bells & whistles.

Full spec:

Model G3
DADGAD fan
Non-cutaway
Moon spruce soundboard
Brazilian rosewood
Laskin inspired arm rest
Palm-away bevel
113/16”” nut width
21/4” string spacing at bridge.
“Standard” neck profile
Hand carved heel “swoosh”

To whet the appetite, he's sent through the below image. I am suddenly rather excited for this build :-D

Joel

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

K Trespass 01-25-2021 03:20 PM

Not surprising that you are excited. This looks like a special one. Big fan of Michael’s work. Lucky to have a G4.2 LT fan fret in ABW/Moon Spruce.

Nemoman 01-25-2021 03:43 PM

This will be a fun one for sure--thanks for sharing it.

Beautiful set of BRW to start with!

steveh 01-26-2021 12:56 PM

Hi Joel,

A pal of mine had a G3 (or at least I think it was) in sapele or something similar. I was initially underwhelmed (especially given the cost) but the longer I played it, the more I realised it was a superbly balanced instrument, and very refined; it just didn't SHOUT about how great it was. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that it was probably the best Greenfield I've played.

Also, I've never been too much of a fan of small guitars - most sound "small" to me - but as I've aged, there's no doubting that it's far more comfortable to have a smaller instrument: Those Somogyi MDs are thunderous but what a handful! In recent years I've also played a few small guitars that I could definitely live with and not feel I'm losing out. I'm sure your G3 will fall into that camp, although you have a fair few years to go before shoulder pain will likely bother you!

Lovely BRW BTW - the back looks pretty well quartered for a "new" set.

Cheers,
Steve

jdelin86 01-27-2021 04:31 AM

Hey Steve,

Hope you’re well. Funnily enough that was exactly my experience. I’ve leaned towards the industrial-sized grand piano models ever since Mr Watts led me down the rabbit hole. But now I fancy adding something different, and the smaller body guitars I’ve played lately (Pipo’s G3, my father-in-law’s Martin, and a very memorable Traugott 00) have made me happy enough to want one.

Joel

Cincy2 01-27-2021 05:37 AM

I owned a G3 for several months. As one of the posters in this thread stated accurately, it is balanced and refined. There is more volume and snap in the basses than you would expect from a guitar this size. I really enjoyed my time with it.

Cincy

steveh 01-28-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelin86 (Post 6616496)
...and a very memorable Traugott 00

I'm pretty sure I played that, although for not nearly long enough: A very, very sweet guitar indeed. IIRC, the price was far too sweet for me!

A Kostal 00, unbelievable Claxton Malabar, and a couple of Tom Sands 00 models (which later morphed into his S offering) are notable other "small" guitars I could live with very easily.

A 1976 Fylde Goodfellow was my first decent acoustic, and that is a small guitar, but that was decades ago and my memory of it is surely unreliable.

Cheers,
Steve

jdelin86 01-30-2021 02:20 AM

I vaguely recall trying a fantastic Kostal 00 when we first met. Was that yours?

The Traugott belongs to an overseas friend, sadly he wasn’t selling it. Lovely instrument.

Joel

steveh 01-30-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelin86 (Post 6619499)
I vaguely recall trying a fantastic Kostal 00 when we first met. Was that yours?

I was picking up a Kostal OM when we first met. That was a super instrument but moved on when I got seriously interested in nylon guitars. A pal has it and I'm very much looking forward to playting it again when we are all able.

The Kostal 00 and the Traugott 00 I played were both at TNAG.

Cheers,
Steve

islandguitar 01-30-2021 09:31 PM

Congrats on your upcoming build, Joel. Early pics look fantastic. I'll be sure to follow along as it gets underway!!

Michael Watts 01-31-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelin86 (Post 6616496)
I’ve leaned towards the industrial-sized grand piano models ever since Mr Watts led me down the rabbit hole.

Joel

Whoops...

Massive congratulations, the creation of a Greenfield guitar is a very special occasion and I can't wait to see this one developing!

All the best, I'll be watching this one with interest!

Michael

Zandit75 01-31-2021 05:53 PM

Wow, we don't get to see enough of Michael's builds on here.
Still I've lost track of how many times I've watched this video.

gitarro 02-05-2021 10:15 PM

If thisthread means we get to hear another clip by Joel playing any music piece qth his greenfield, then i will definitely be tuning in as he is a great guitarist!

steveh 02-06-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitarro (Post 6626615)
If thisthread means we get to hear another clip by Joel playing any music piece qth his greenfield, then i will definitely be tuning in as he is a great guitarist!

And his wife singing; she has the voice of an angel.

Cheers,
Steve

gitarro 02-06-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 6626902)
And his wife singing; she has the voice of an angel.

Cheers,
Steve

Absolutely - i think she is better than many professional singers such is her skill and voice.