The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Guitar dealers in Wyoming =0 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567198)

CodyToonz 12-22-2019 04:13 PM

Guitar dealers in Wyoming =0

Hard to believe. My wife and I moved to Wyoming almost 20 years ago. West coast big city refugees. There are no Taylor, Martin, Fender, or Gibson dealers in the state. There are a couple of music stores that might display some other less well known brands. Nearest Taylor, Martin, Fender dealer is over 100 miles away.

I find it fascinating reading all the "play before you buy" and auction site comments as well as shipping fears. The computer is my friend. I've bought and sold dozens of guitars online. Zero shipping problems. 2 goofy eBay returns. I'll be the first to admit that this forum fuels my GAS but I've had outstanding experiences without playing before I buy.

For those who like to visit guitar stores while traveling, you'll just have to enjoy the scenery while visiting Wyoming.

zmf 12-22-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodyToonz (Post 6246155)
Nearest Taylor, Martin, Fender dealer is over 100 miles away.

Living in Wyoming myself, I have to ask what the big deal is about driving 100 miles to look at guitars. :)

WildBill82 12-22-2019 05:33 PM

I hope your guitars don't get blasted by 35 mph sandstorms or buried in ten feet of snow, Wyoming is crazy lol

ljguitar 12-22-2019 05:39 PM

Hi CodyToonz

We've lived in Cheyenne for 43 years, and driven to Denver, Fort Collins, Louisville, and other places to audition guitars.

When you live in a state with 550,000 residents (and more land than Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia combined) you trade guitar stores and professional sports for clean air, blue skies, Yellowstone Park, 6 houses on a block, friendly neighbors, and horses.

It IS more work to play quality guitars in states like ours, but there are no shortage of locals playing Santa Cruz, Olson, Kronbauer, Bashkin, Ryan guitars and plenty of Taylor, Gibson, and Martins, BlueRidge, Recording King, Eastman and others.

We also have a very active local custom electric guitar community in Cheyenne.

We had music stores when I moved to town, and one which eventually became a guitar dealer. Alas, the internet and Guitar Center came and the same thing happened to the guitar store as it did to the computer dealers in town. They folded up shop.

I don't regret it. I enjoy road trips.

rjathon 12-22-2019 05:42 PM

I used to live in Casper

I used to live in Casper, WY. People there thought nothing of driving 100 miles for dinner.

Russ

CodyToonz 12-22-2019 06:30 PM

I do agree. 100 miles is nothing. Especially when there is no traffic. Was a time when distances in Wyoming were measured in 6 packs. There is but one traffic light that is unavoidable between our home and Billings Mt. 100 miles away.

Brucebubs 12-22-2019 06:37 PM

Just googled Wyoming.
Think I might have found why ....

The state population was estimated at 577,737 in 2018, which is less than 31 of the most populous U.S. cities including Denver in neighboring Colorado. Cheyenne is the state capital and the most populous city, with an estimated population of 63,624 in 2017.

I think I'd like it!

zmf 12-22-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 6246262)

The state population was estimated at 577,737 in 2018, which is less than 31 of the most populous U.S. cities including Denver in neighboring Colorado. Cheyenne is the state capital and the most populous city, with an estimated population of 63,624 in 2017.

I think I'd like it!

Perhaps you would, bubs. A lot like Oz, but colder. But then Oz seems to be getting rather warm these days. Hope the fires die down.

zmf 12-22-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodyToonz (Post 6246255)
There is but one traffic light that is unavoidable between our home and Billings Mt. 100 miles away.

Once you hit the interstate, Billings is not that far from Bozeman. Something to think about. Get a motel, and take the lady out to dinner. Standard procedure for the northern Rockies.

llew 12-22-2019 08:47 PM

Yeah...been there once to a friend's family ranch consisting on 10,000 acres...small by Wyoming standards. But I did finally find out where "the middle of nowhere" is. Isolation is king. Going to town (only 37 miles as the crow flies) is an hour and a half each way. You do not forget anything...from the grocery store, pharmacy, liquor store, etc. All that being said, it's an amazingly beautiful place. Sitting on a plateau between mountains at night with no ambient light anywhere gives you a virtual view of the heavens like no other I've experienced. Wouldn't want to live that isolated but it was a great experience...and I'd go back in a flash! But I did bring along an old D-28 to keep me company and it saw plenty of use.

Brucebubs 12-22-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmf (Post 6246333)
Perhaps you would, bubs. A lot like Oz, but colder. But then Oz seems to be getting rather warm these days. Hope the fires die down.

The fires are absolutely terrible at the moment.
We have volunteer firefighters here from New Zealand and some US and Canadians arrived yesterday - amazing.

DMZ 12-22-2019 10:01 PM

Former 5 yr resident of Sheridan here. Big Horn mountains and unoccupied nature playground. But those drives... back in the day of enforced 55 mph! Never made it to Bozeman but will someday. Good friends about to retire there.

KenL 12-22-2019 10:18 PM

Look at it this way- you're closer to Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO than 95% of the rest of the people in the USA!

mcduffnw 12-22-2019 11:08 PM

Man...that is a real shame.

You would think that Jackson...or Jackson Hole, which do Wyoming residents prefer to call it?...would be an ideal place for a Gryphon, or TME, or Mass Street Music type of really nice store. Kind of like the "The Great Divide Music" used to be in Aspen 20 or so years ago. Lotsa money around that area, and even including up north past Yellowstone into that Southwest corner of Montana around the Bozeman and Livingstone area with all the ritzy wealthy person retreat ranch properties.

Maybe a business opportunity for the right person?

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

beatcomber 12-23-2019 06:02 AM

In 1988, I was driving across Wyoming and it was amazing how flat and desolate much of the state was.

There would be a lonely town listed on the map, surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing, and when I'd get there, the sign would say something like "Podunk, population: 6." The town would contain a church, a bar, and a junkyard. I drove through places like this a few times on that trip.

Compared to Wyoming, a state like Nevada feels overpopulated!