The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Eastman E20OM (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549792)

GKing34 06-17-2019 04:05 PM

Eastman E20OM

This may have been discussed here already. I am looking to buy an Eastman E20OM within the next couple of months. Is there a consensus on how significant the difference is between the E20OM and E20OM TC? (Also considering an E8OM).

Unfortunately, there are no Eastman dealers near me. I did come across a wonderful used E10SS today. I would have bought it if I wasn’t trending away from bigger guitars.

vintage40s 06-17-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKing34 (Post 6088901)
... Is there a consensus on how significant the difference is between the E20OM and E20OM TC?...

I have not seen a comparison on AGF.

Here is a description of the TC:
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....del-55247.html
And here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEnBsPHuTY

I bought my E20 OM a few months ago before I was aware of the TC, because it was at the store and I loved the sound quality and playability.

But I would have waited and paid more for a TC, to have the instant aging effect on the looks and sound. The E20 OM is so pale compared to my 50-year old Martin.

tomcstokes59 06-17-2019 06:44 PM

Eastman

GKing - I have one OM with torrified top and one without. The one without is maturing exceptionally well. That said, if you can find a TC model the upcharge is not much. Check out some comments over at the eastman guitar fan forum. There are much more knowledgeable people there than I. You might also want to touch base with John Chapman at The Acoustic Shop or Ted at LA Guitar Sales. Both are very good resources. JM2C
Tom

Sagebrush Tom 06-17-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage40s (Post 6088963)
I have not seen a comparison on AGF.

Here is a description of the TC:
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....del-55247.html
And here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEnBsPHuTY

I bought my E20 OM a few months ago before I was aware of the TC, because it was at the store and I loved the sound quality and playability.

But I would have waited and paid more for a TC, to have the instant aging effect on the looks and sound. The E20 OM is so pale compared to my 50-year old Martin.

Actually there are plenty of new OM's out there that pale in comparison to a 50 year old Martin.

llew 06-17-2019 07:15 PM

I have a E20D-TC that I really like but I didn't have the opportunity to A/B it against a standard (non-baked top) E20D.

Pura Vida 06-18-2019 11:34 AM

TomC and llew can speak much better to the sound of the TC, but generally speaking, I've heard that the TC provides more rounded notes and a sweeter tone. Red Spruce (Adi) can be a little harsh, when it's new. Also, there's the aesthetics of the baked top, but a new guitar will still get some nice color, if it's not kept in its case. My Eastman guitars are all 2016 or newer, and the older ones have nice, golden tops (and gradually changing).

There are fewer E8OMs in the wild, but you'll get a little more warmth vs. a new E20OM. But every guitar is different, so if you call Ted or the Chapman's, ask him/them to play them for you and provide some feedback on their sound.

I have an E40OM and E20OM-SB. Both are 2017 models, but sound completely different. The E40OM sounded amazing from day one (incredibly clear, warm, lots of overtones), while the E20OM-SB took a while to find its voice. Its sound is more scooped, and while it has less overtones, there's a vibrato when I hold a chord that's unlike my other guitars. Love that they are the same, yet completely different.

GKing34 06-18-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pura Vida (Post 6089463)
TomC and llew can speak much better to the sound of the TC, but generally speaking, I've heard that the TC provides more rounded notes and a sweeter tone. Red Spruce (Adi) can be a little harsh, when it's new. Also, there's the aesthetics of the baked top, but a new guitar will still get some nice color, if it's not kept in its case. My Eastman guitars are all 2016 or newer, and the older ones have nice, golden tops (and gradually changing).

There are fewer E8OMs in the wild, but you'll get a little more warmth vs. a new E20OM. But every guitar is different, so if you call Ted or the Chapman's, ask him/them to play them for you and provide some feedback on their sound.

I have an E40OM and E20OM-SB. Both are 2017 models, but sound completely different. The E40OM sounded amazing from day one (incredibly clear, warm, lots of overtones), while the E20OM-SB took a while to find its voice. Its sound is more scooped, and while it has less overtones, there's a vibrato when I hold a chord that's unlike my other guitars. Love that they are the same, yet completely different.

Thanks Pura Vida! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get that E10SS I played yesterday out of my head, which is complicating my decision process.

drawshot1975 06-19-2019 06:52 AM

I recently snagged an E20-OM from Ted, and love it. I decided to go the Adi route because I wanted to experience the guitar opening up, over time, and it's fun to hear the transition begin, even after only a few weeks of heavy playing.

Regardless of which way you go, I would imagine you'll be pleased with it. They are exceptional instruments.

Good luck!

vintage40s 06-19-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom (Post 6089002)
Actually there are plenty of new OM's out there that pale in comparison to a 50 year old Martin.

Just saying that I like the aged look of Eastman's thermo-cured OM better than the paleness of the plain OM.

For the same reason, I bought a Yamaha CSF3M parlor in Vintage Natural, a toner finish that is even darker than my Martin.

vintage40s 06-19-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pura Vida (Post 6089463)
... I have an... E20OM-SB... there's a vibrato when I hold a chord that's unlike my other guitars...

This vibrato thing is interesting. I am new to flat picking and to the E20 OM, but I first noticed a wonderful vibrato when one of the higher strings is picked hard and left to ring for a second while the picking moves on below them.

Three vibrato levels -- I noticed (1) only after noticing (2):
(1)A vibrato is barely noticeable when the string is picked alone. (2) I first noticed string vibrato while cross/back picking with palm resting behind the saddle, and traced it to the rapidly-moving hand affecting the top. (3) And then of course, wiggling a finger on the string produces strong traditional vibrato, but that's in fingerstyle.

Now I notice the Eastman's playing vibrato on all strings more and more, and can't compare my old Martin because it is in the shop the last four weeks for a setup.
I think maybe the vibrato can only be heard when flat picking, since a note on a string is not usually played with as much force, or left to ring alone for as long, when finger picking.

Later edit: I can hear it on the parlor guitar, too, so it's caused by the fast moving wrist resting on the top.