The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   12 string search - Larrivee L-03-12R? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587637)

benjyt 07-24-2020 11:55 AM

12 string search - Larrivee L-03-12R?

As a new member of the community, I’d like to acknowledge all of the conversations of the past about 12 string guitars. I recently began a search for a new 12 string. As background, I am mostly a strummer, but continue to try to improve. I play acoustic guitar as part of a couple of larger bands in which I am one of the lead singers. Over the years, I’ve used an entry level Takamine 12 string with an after market pickup to supplement my 6 stringers. I’d like a nicer model to use for performances.

I’ve been doing a lot of research, using AGF and others. I have some models that have interested me (Taylor 254ce, Yamaha LL16-12), but now have a chance to purchase a mildly used Larrivee L-03-12R. I’d have to add a pickup for performing, which doesn’t bother me. This is very tempting to me because my No. 1 six string is my Larrivee OM-5, a wonderful instrument.

So - any advice to give to a new AGF member? Any suggestions about a fair price for the L-03-12R? Thanks!

Fishermike 07-24-2020 12:34 PM

First off, welcome!

If I was in the market for a nice 12-string, I'd be looking at a vintage Guild. You may be surprised to find one in good condition at a similar price to the Larrivee you're considering, possibly less. They made some wonderful 12-strings back in the day, and there are quite a few still out there in good shape. Just a few:

https://reverb.com/item/28169400-gui...2-natural-1974

https://reverb.com/item/34641258-gui...t-1975-natural

There are many more on Reverb, both above and below these price points.

Of course, if you are in love with the Larrivee, there's no need to look any further. Can't beat having it in hand before you buy. Price-wise, there won't be a lot to compare it to, but I did find this one:

https://reverb.com/au/item/4738348-l...-guitar-w-case

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

Rockysdad 07-24-2020 01:24 PM

The L-03 R 12 is very nice, if you can try it, you should.
I’d like one myself, and I’ve got a Guild 12.

AZLiberty 07-24-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjyt (Post 6447300)
have a chance to purchase a mildly used Larrivee L-03-12R.

I recently sold my D-03R-12. Fabulous sounding guitar, but I always struggle to play a Dreadnought size guitar. If it had been an L body instead of a D then I surely would have kept it.

PapaC 07-24-2020 01:38 PM

This is a steal IMO - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/La...r-116045386.gc

And GC’s return policy is in your favor. You can ship to your closest store and try it.

Wait, maybe not. I just noticed it has a crack in the top.

Dru Edwards 07-24-2020 02:25 PM

benjyt, Welcome to the AGF! You've been a member for 8 years and this is only your first post.

I'm sure the Larrivee L-03 12 string will match up well with you considering you already have a Larrivee and you're a fan.

cliff_the_stiff 07-24-2020 03:43 PM

Which old Takamine? I had a Martin lookalike “lawsuit model” that had an unusually low fret board radius, that I quite liked.
I sold that guitar and for years only found the flatter 12 string fretboards and never liked one enough to tune it.
Until I picked up a Taylor 562 all mahogany, short scale, 12 fret 12 string with a cutout.
This is hands down the most effortless 12 string I’ve played.
Regardless of wood choice- I highly recommend this Taylor GC, 12 fret, short scale.

Steve DeRosa 07-24-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishermike (Post 6447335)
...If I was in the market for a nice 12-string, I'd be looking at a vintage Guild. You may be surprised to find one in good condition at a similar price to the Larrivee you're considering, possibly less. They made some wonderful 12-strings back in the day, and there are quite a few still out there in good shape...

I've been a 12-string player for 50 years...

I own a blonde USA Westerly Guild JF30-12 that's an absolute stunner - the Sam Ash manager who sold it to me said that was custom-built on an F-412 platform ("barber-pole" neck figure, iridescent three-dimensional body flame) but the customer never came to pick it up; rarely play it any more because of the characteristic "vintage Guild" baseball-bat 12-string neck (dramatically different from their period 6-string necks, which I consider some of the finest in the business)...

If you want something that looks/sounds like a vintage Guild, plays like a Taylor, and has a built-in pickup for live use, check out the current Guild D-1212E; FYI the all-acoustic version acquired the nickname of "The Unofficial AGF 12-String Guitar" a few years ago (when your fellow Forum members bought out all of Sweetwater's stock), and not without good reason - search the review threads for the overwhelmingly positive feedback - and in my own experience you'll be hard-pressed to beat it at anywhere near the price...

That said, I've played several Larrivee L-03R's - found a real sweetie years ago, a true "Swiss Army" axe that I would've grabbed had I not just bought a Martin CEO-5 - and if the 12-string version is just as good (and there's absolutely no reason to believe otherwise) it's about the only thing I can think of that'll edge out the Guild D-1212 in the under $2K bracket...

The choice is yours...

Petty1818 07-24-2020 04:39 PM

I have been in the market for a 12 string for years. I actually learned how to play guitar on my dad's El Degas 12 string. It's a cheap guitar but I believe it's from the 70's and has aged nicely.

Anyway, the Larrivee L-03 12 has always been on my list. It just seems like a great "do it all" 12 string. The issue for me is that I have owned a couple Larrivee guitars and a few of my buddies also have one and although I really like the brand, I do find that their balanced bracing always results in a fairly quiet instrument. That would probably work well with a 12 string but for me, I like a big/boomy sound. I would still grab one if I found a great deal, it's just a consideration.

Right now I am targeting a newer Yamaha LL16-12 ARE. I just find that in demos, the Yamaha is closer to the tone that I want. Guild, even their lower priced models sound amazing but they are very difficult to find here in Ontario, Canada so I have kind of ruled them out. If you get the Larrivee, shoot me a PM as I would love to hear your thoughts.

Steve DeRosa 07-24-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 6447593)
...Guild, even their lower priced models sound amazing but they are very difficult to find here in Ontario, Canada so I have kind of ruled them out...

Go to the Guild website and use the dealer locator - there must be at least a dozen stocking Guild dealers in the Toronto area alone...

benjyt 07-24-2020 08:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I’ve looked at the Guilds, know of their reputation and the great players that have used them. I’m concerned about the neck. I have smaller hands and really enjoy the Larrivee’s neck and action - it’s been a great fit for me.

I’ve also had/used Yamaha guitars over the years, so the LL16-12 is intriguing.

My Takamine is a G335. Not a bad guitar, but hard to keep in tune and the action isn’t what I’d like.

Steve DeRosa 07-25-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjyt (Post 6447820)
...I’ve looked at the Guilds, know of their reputation and the great players that have used them. I’m concerned about the neck. I have smaller hands and really enjoy the Larrivee’s neck and action - it’s been a great fit for me...

I don't know about the new Oxnard-Cordoba Guild 12-strings, but the current Westerly Series Chinese imports have taken a page from the Taylor playbook when it comes to neck profile/action - definitely not the monster necks of the old USA Westerly stuff, and comparable to the better-known (and well-respected) Taylor 150e at a similar price; speaking as one who also prefers the slimmest necks I can get (within reason) and having played a couple of D-1212's, I wouldn't think twice about buying one of these even sight unseen (as did many of your fellow AGF members several years ago) - of course, if you really have your heart set on that Larrivee you can do far worse in an under-$2K 12-string...

Doranged 07-25-2020 11:42 AM

Get a used Taylor 562ce. You won't look back!.

Petty1818 07-25-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 6447817)
Go to the Guild website and use the dealer locator - there must be at least a dozen stocking Guild dealers in the Toronto area alone...

Haven’t looked in a year but many of those stores no longer carry Guild. That’s the issue with listed dealers.

merlin666 07-25-2020 02:25 PM

I am mainly a 12 string player and own Guild Orpheum and Ovation Legend LX 12 strings. One of my guitar friends has a Larrivee 12 string, though not sure which specific model. He let me play it a few times and it is fantastic. If I did not already have two 12 strings I would put in a serious effort to buy it from him. Though the Asian built Guilds are quite nice, none of the ones I played are even in the ballpark of the Larrivee, and an entry level Taylor shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph.