The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Player Only? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563926)

Skip Ellis 11-16-2019 02:21 PM

Player Only?

Another thread below prompts me to ask: how many of you are guitar players.....only.....period.......no singing....no accompanying.....nothing else but playing guitar as a solo endeavor. Which also leads to the next question: do you ever work?

Arthur Slowhand 11-16-2019 02:26 PM

I struggle enough with breathing and playing guitar simultaneously, without complicating things by trying to sing at the same time.

Not sure why that leads to the second question. I work as little as possible... my (younger) wife has other ideas! ;) If by work, you mean as a guitarist... you obviously haven't heard me play!

rick-slo 11-16-2019 02:38 PM

Just solo guitar.

MinorKey 11-16-2019 02:52 PM

I do not sing. I also play ukulele but no singing.

offkey 11-16-2019 02:58 PM

I play guitar as a solo instrument exclusively. And I play only for the joy of it. I work a lot, but not with a guitar. :)

Brucebubs 11-16-2019 03:03 PM

I truly admire those who can play and sing at the same time - I can't.

That admiration increases 10 fold if they can do it in front of an audience - I'm uncomfortable in front of a single stranger.

donlyn 11-16-2019 03:26 PM

I play and sing a lot. Usually supplying a solo break and some fills. Remembering lyrics is the hard part.

I also just fingerpick solo instrumentals, mostly 60's instrumental stuff like "Apache" (Jorgen Ingmann style), "Walk Don't Run", "Pipeline", "Maria Elena", et cetera. "Pipeline" and" "Walk Don't Run" sound great on solo 12 string. Some pieces started as instrumental versions but I added the vocals later, like King's "Spanish Harlem". And a few instrumentals from songs, like the Beatles' "It's Only Love", are still instrumental.

Sometimes I combine things into medleys, like "Ghost Riders in the Sky" with instrumental intro and vocals, eliding into full "Apache" as a very long coda.

I play a few pieces in DADGAD, all instrumental stuff, even if they have words.

I'm semi-retired, working part time about 20 hours a week.

Don

rstaight 11-16-2019 03:27 PM

I will sing while playing at home, when no one else is there.

Would like to be in a band again but the schedule of my day job won't allow it. To many Saturdays.

Pitar 11-16-2019 03:51 PM

Switch hitter. While I wish there was a greater audience for instrumental stuff, even I admit that after a couple minutes of listening to it I'm done. Nothing beats a decent vocalist to me so, from the start, developing my singing concurrent with developing my guitar playing was equally important.

Silly Moustache 11-16-2019 04:02 PM

I only started guitar because I wanted to accompany myself singing.

However a couple of chaps who come to my cvlub are instrumentalists only - that's OK.

No they don't gig, so not looking for "work"

here's one of them :

Mandobart 11-16-2019 04:47 PM

I started music as a grade school kid and grew up playing in orchestra (violin) and stage band (bass). Part of a garage band in junior and senior high, playing bass. I got into guitar because of Neil Young, Gram Parsons and John Prine. I started singing as soon as I started playing guitar - they just naturally go together. You'll be better at each if you do both.

Music has never been my career, but I've played quite a few solo, duo and full band shows. At best it pays for strings, picks, beer and my sound gear. I mainly play bluegrass music now - lead and accompaniment on mandolin and guitar, and sing lead and harmony. I average maybe one local gig per month, but a lot of social jams just for fun (up to 8 per month depending on my real job schedule).

I have too short an attention span to focus on just soloing, or just accompanying, or just one genre, or just one instrument.

Steel and wood 11-16-2019 05:55 PM

Contented guitarist only. (The mere mention of me singing is taken in gist by family members).

DukeX 11-16-2019 05:58 PM

I'm a player and songwriter, but I am not a performer or entertainer.

David Eastwood 11-16-2019 06:04 PM

I just play.

I don't sing - I'd love to be able to, but Leo Kottke's 'geese farts on a muggy day' sound positively operatic compared with my constipated wheezing.

Guitar playing is relaxation, therapy, or whatever you want to call it, for me. I can't imagine being without it, but have no burning desire to share it.

Right now, I'm figuring my way around a 7-string, fan-fretted Emerald, and thoroughly enjoying the journey.

jasbo49 11-16-2019 06:11 PM

I can't imagine I would have even picked up the guitar at age 12 if I didn't enjoy singing.

I guess this is one of those discussions that reminds us that even though we have a big thing in common we are all different.

Funny thing is, though I started guitar because I dug singing and playing at the same time, I now, 58 years later, mostly just play. I write a lot of half-songs that nobody's ever heard, and I suspect I'm not alone there.

Jim