The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking for Video ON wrap around String Winding method (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535609)

AcousticDreams 01-23-2019 02:15 PM

Looking for Video ON wrap around String Winding method

On Several threads of String winding; Several people talked about a method described as just wrapping around the post two times first, and then inserting the string.
I finally tried this method and loved it. I tried it with Round cores and what I didn't realize is how it seemingly locks the string in place.
What I like most about this method is that you can make the string taught to begin with as you are bending it around the post evenly. It seems as if it comes to full tension super quick.
Very little winding needed. And comes to pitch and stays there very quickly as well. And the windings around the post seem more even with less flaws than some other methods
I could not find a video on This. Would Love to find and video and send to some of my friends. The Only difficulty is holding down the windings on the post in order to insert the string into the eye of the post.
Anybody know of a video on this method?

zmf 01-23-2019 02:18 PM

No, but I'm also interested. Changing strings takes me way too long.

Tnfiddler 01-23-2019 02:21 PM

Me too! I've been doing it the Taylor way for too long and I'm not a big fan!

Tnfiddler 01-23-2019 02:26 PM

I found this one! I'm gonna give it a try!

AcousticDreams 01-23-2019 02:32 PM

What is cool about this method is that there is no measuring involved.
What is also nice for myself, is the fact that I can keep the string taught from the beginning. As you might have experience, sometimes a Bridge Pin will pop up slightly. With this method..I can hold the bridge pin with one hand, and bring the string to a mild tension with just a wrap around the post. Then I can take my hand off the bridge pin and start wrapping around the post.
But again, the one difficulty is holding down the two wrapping around the post and then inserting the String through the eye. Every system has its pluses and minuses. But so far I really like the way this is working.
I have only done it once, but so far it worked flawlessly. I recommend you making the hole vertical, so you where to look for it. The Winding can cover it up. And if your are changing in a darker environment, knowing approximately where the hole is can be helpful.
By the way, Two wraps will equate to three wraps when you finishing bringing it to full tension.

AcousticDreams 01-23-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnfiddler (Post 5957667)
I found this one! I'm gonna give it a try!

Awesome! Thanks for finding this video.
Yes this is the method. Now I wound mine a little more taught than what he is doing & I pulled through the eye all the way as in the way he did with the 5th string.
In the end, it comes out to the same amount of winds below. Two for three, Or one with less tension for three.
Not sure if you can see it, but with this method it seems that the bottom winds up and puts pressure on the string coming out of the eye. Maybe it does this with all methods anyway? But seemed like it puts more pressure that the other methods and lock the string in.
Because I am using Roundcores...I did still put a 90 degree end in the string before cutting.

Brucebubs 01-23-2019 02:54 PM

... and that is the Kiwi/New Zealander accent!

I'm happy with the 'in, wind under 2 or 3 wraps, bring up some tension, snip off excess'.

https://i.imgur.com/W74KVYjl.jpg

zmf 01-23-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 5957699)

Indeed! Articulate and understandable. :)

Brucebubs 01-23-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmf (Post 5957706)
Indeed! Articulate and understandable. :)

Ask them to say 'Dixie Chicks'.

Duxie Chucks! :)

zmf 01-23-2019 04:23 PM

Just tried the wrap method for the first time and it's mechanically straightforward. Just take care not to crimp the unwound strings before their time, and it's a bit of an article of faith that the unwounds will wrap the post cleanly.

lowrider 01-23-2019 05:11 PM

I just watched the video and he does the strings from 6 down to 1. That way on 3,2,1, the strings are in the way. I do 6,5,4,1,2,3 and I don't have the strings in my way.

There's really nothing else to it. You wrap it around and stick it in. I also tighten them close to pitch as I go.

It's easy, good luck!

hairpuller 01-23-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 5957699)

I'm happy with the 'in, wind under 2 or 3 wraps, bring up some tension, snip off excess'.

https://i.imgur.com/W74KVYjl.jpg

That's exactly what I do and works fantastic. So simple and fast!
Scott

51 Relic 01-24-2019 12:32 AM

Try Ralph McTells string changing video on YouTube . I now use this method with great results

Paddy1951 01-24-2019 06:51 AM

The company that makes Throbak strings (in Michigan) makes round core strings as well as hex core. They have a good video on how to string the round cores to make sure they do not unravel and lose tone. Their method works for hex core strings as well.

I would bet you can find the video on their website.

And for those interested... I found their round core PBs to be very pleasant sounding and well made.

AndrewG 01-24-2019 07:01 AM

I've been doing what the op does forever. It's the quickest, simplest and most stable method I know. You don't need to pre-cut, tie knots, perform daft over and under manouevers. Just keep the string taut, put two winds around the post THEN thread the free end through the hole ABOVE the wraps. Pull the free end tight and, voila, your string is locked.