The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gruden Is Out In Vegas... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628355)

Street Glider 10-11-2021 07:26 PM

Gruden Is Out In Vegas...

Jon Gruden resigned today after ten year old e-mails surfaced in which he used racist, homophobic and misogynistic terms.

He should've just stayed the color guy on ESPN. He'll never get another job...

Dirk Hofman 10-12-2021 09:01 AM

Well to be fair, whatever he said he said when he was an ESPN analyst. If (and that's a pretty big "if", I'll grant you) this stuff came out when he was working that job, he'd be looking at an exit now as well.

I haven't seen the details of what was said so can't comment on that, but I can't feel too sorry for a guy with a $100 million dollar contract. Whatever portion of that he's going to end up with. Seems at least $40 million...

All adding to the Raiders latest dumpster fire. And I thought losing to the Bears at home was the low point.

jpd 10-12-2021 10:50 AM

hmmm...

Wondering how the team will respond?:guitar:

rmp 10-12-2021 11:04 AM

I've never been a big fan of the "Grudens" to be completely honest.

I'll just leave that there.

Kerbie 10-12-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 6830865)
I've never been a big fan of the "Grudens..."

I agree. Sounds to me like he deserves to be gone.

Dirk Hofman 10-12-2021 11:25 AM

Well now I've seen the details of what he put in emails. Cannot imagine for the life of me talking about co-workers and associates in those ways. Really paints a picture of Gruden, and by extension others in his position, as feeling completely invincible and above everyone else. Or just monumentally dumb. What a different view of "leadership" he seems to have.

Seeya Chucky, don't let the door hit you on the way out. What a mess.

mr. beaumont 10-12-2021 11:37 AM

I've seen what he said. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Very glad my Bears could embarrass him in his last game as coach.

valleyguy 10-12-2021 12:51 PM

I think they released this to get him to leave his coaching position, without having to pay the remainder of his contract. I'm sure a bunch of people knew this was here for some time. The timing of its release is suspect.

Dirk Hofman 10-12-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleyguy (Post 6830962)
I think they released this to get him to leave his coaching position, without having to pay the remainder of his contract. I'm sure a bunch of people knew this was here for some time. The timing of its release is suspect.

I follow the team closely and I haven't seen a whit of evidence of this. Mark Davis loves Gruden. IMO he did what needed to be done, and IMO it's all about the emails.

Cypress Knee 10-12-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleyguy (Post 6830962)

Somebody (my guess is within NFL HQ) released the first slur to the Wall Street Journal. When Davis did not fire Gruden over that, they then gave a treasure trove to The NY Times.

The NFL wanted Gruden gone and forced Davis's hand. I did read somewhere that there is suspicion that the WSJ release was timed to get DeMaurice Smith a sympathy vote when he was in a tenuous position.

Dirk Hofman 10-12-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypress Knee (Post 6831001)
Somebody (my guess is within NFL HQ) released the first slur to the Wall Street Journal. When Davis did not fire Gruden over that, they then gave a treasure trove to The NY Times.

The NFL wanted Gruden gone and forced Davis's hand. I did read somewhere that there is suspicion that the WSJ release was timed to get DeMaurice Smith a sympathy vote when he was in a tenuous position.

There is some smoke there, that's for sure. But as you point out, it forced Davis' hand and goes directly against the idea that Mark Davis wanted to get rid of Gruden. He actually had the second drop of emails since Friday and did nothing, hoping it would blow over.

Anyway, that's all just noise. He said what he said and it was NOT good. No way he could lead a locker room or an organization after all of that.

fitness1 10-12-2021 05:35 PM

Never liked the guy from the start - there was an arrogance that was obvious.

buddyhu 10-12-2021 06:23 PM

Offensive? Probably yes…though the absence of context can distort things (the latest Dave Chapelle special on Netflix drives this point home in a funny, but powerful way).

Surprising? Not really. Lots of guys talk like this, and hold attitudes towards others that are devaluing, demeaning, and/or profoundly harsh. It is the ugly underbelly of many seemingly “normal” people, some of whom enjoy much success (in part because disagreeable people can be rather good managers, and good short term motivators…until demoralization and fatigue set in).

David Eastwood 10-12-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyhu (Post 6831233)
Surprising? Not really. Lots of guys talk like this, and hold attitudes towards others that are devaluing, demeaning, and/or profoundly harsh.

This is by no means an exclusively male problem.

elephony 10-12-2021 07:30 PM

Putting aside the odiousness of what he said in the emails, what kind of bozo sends that kind of email from their work account? That's fireable stupidity on top of the bigotry.