The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are Santa Cruz Guitars Really That Great? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337784)

jw3571 04-14-2014 10:03 PM

Are Santa Cruz Guitars Really That Great?

I've been reading people's reviews on here and other sites about how great their SCGC guitars are. Are they really that great? I've never had the chance to play one, as no one around me carries one. I have a Martin D42, Gibson AJ & Hummingbird, and a Taylor 618fe. Would I really notice a difference compared to the guitars I have? I don't want to buy based on hype but if they are really that great, maybe I should check one out?

ecguitar44 04-14-2014 10:05 PM

Totally check them out. They're great guitars.

Are they "THAT" great? That's for you to decide (I personally don't believe so).

GangstaPat 04-14-2014 10:10 PM

Find One...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw3571 (Post 3912176)
I've been reading people's reviews on here and other sites about how great their SCGC guitars are. Are they really that great? I've never had the chance to play one, as no one around me carries one. I have a Martin D42, Gibson AJ & Hummingbird, and a Taylor 618fe. Would I really notice a difference compared to the guitars I have? I don't want to buy based on hype but if they are really that great, maybe I should check one out?

and you may find yourself parting ways with some of your current stable.

Even here in Dallas they are rare and given my proclivity for GAS that is probably a good thing. The only thing that kept a Vintage Southerner from being "my guitar" was the neck but every thing else was "SPOT ON". The sound, the finish, the way it felt in my chest when I strummed it. It just excited my senses and I tried to make it mine. Alas, the neck was just not right. Perhaps too narrow. It would have hurt my fret hand and despite everything else I just would have ended up selling it.

Every time I pick up a Gibson I am looking for that same guitar but with a neck that suits me. Haven't found it yet and ironically have never actually owned a Gibson either.

goufousdoufous 04-14-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw3571 (Post 3912176)

Yes, you will notice a difference. I have a OM/PW and it is the best guitar (best Martin) I've ever played. Before that, I played pretty much Martins. I grew up playing a Martin dreadnaught and love the sound of Martin guitars. This particular OM/PW (everyone that I've played for that matter) has that broken in, vintage Martin vibe. It barks when picke aggresively, and sings when strumed or finger-picked. It is the most versitle guitar out there, as for as I'm concerned.

In June of 2008 I sold my Martin D18GE that I was playing at the time to purchase the OM/PW. Im not going to say it is a better guitar than the three you mention, but for me, it is the last guitar that I will buy - and I'm embarrased at how many guitars I've gone through over the years.

Davis Webb 04-14-2014 10:18 PM

They take extraordinary measures to procure and age their woods.

akafloyd 04-14-2014 10:23 PM

They are certainly worth checking out. I've never played one that didn't induce strong desire...

bozz_2006 04-14-2014 11:07 PM

yep. (need more characters. this should be enough).

Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars 04-14-2014 11:07 PM

yes, they are...

Gary-N-LA 04-14-2014 11:13 PM

They are extraordinary. I purchased an 000 new in February and it's got the most open, lush, beautiful tone of any guitar I've ever heard. The attention to detail is second to none. Make no mistake, unlike Taylors or Martins (as good as they can be), this is a luthier-made, hand-tuned guitar, with each piece of wood hand chosen for how it goes together to make a unified whole.

Sadly for me, I've discovered that I need a short-scale guitar and my 000 is standard scale, so I'm selling it. If you're interested, find it here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=336962
_
_

Wade Hampton 04-14-2014 11:17 PM

JW, not to break the mood that the thread has sustained thus far, but my experience with Santa Cruz guitars is that some are great, some are not. They're all very well made, and there are no problems with fit and finish. But as with any all-solid wood guitars, the tone will vary from one example to another.

I've played some I wanted to own, others that just made me shrug.

Your mileage may vary.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

fullsmile 04-14-2014 11:27 PM

I agree with Wade. Living in SoCal you get to play almost any guitar you want. I have played some great, great ones and some that i put back down before i finished the song. Only ever owned one and i traded it for a Goodall that i traded for a Collings that i sold to buy my custom Martin. Can't honestly say one was better than the other but all were fun to own. I regret selling the Collings the most. By the way my aid/walnut Martin is my favorite guitar i have ever owned and that includes a Ryan guitar. Tone is so personal there is no best.

dodge 04-14-2014 11:38 PM

if you are looking at Santa Cruz then I would also suggest looking at Collings both build superb guitars.

billgennaro 04-14-2014 11:42 PM

Santa Cruz guitars are quite nice, but you may not find them to be any nicer than your D-42. Many of the 40 Series Martin dreads I've played were quite good themselves. Overall though, and in general, I personally like Santa Cruz a bit more than Martin. I also like them, generally speaking, better than Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton and Goodall. But that's just my experience and taste. Many others would disagree with me.

davwir 04-15-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary-N-LA (Post 3912217)
They are extraordinary. I purchased an 000 new in February and it's got the most open, lush, beautiful tone of any guitar I've ever heard. The attention to detail is second to none. Make no mistake, unlike Taylors or Martins (as good as they can be), this is a luthier-made, hand-tuned guitar, with each piece of wood hand chosen for how it goes together to make a unified whole.
_
_

I would agree with this, and I am one who loves Taylor's and Martins. There is generally an enhanced quality in most of the instruments you will find from Santa Cruz, Goodall, Collings, Lowden and other boutique builders. Whether the extra costs for most of those are noticeable or worth it to you, is a personal decision though.

David Chavez 04-15-2014 01:53 AM

I like to put santa cruz, goodall, bourgeois etc on a higher level then martin, taylor and gibson. But sound wise depends on the persons taste. Personally froggy bottom will eventually be my end game guitar (once I save up enough).