The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NAMM Martin Video Requests? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535708)

MaurysMusic 01-24-2019 10:35 AM

NAMM Martin Video Requests?

As always, Maury's Music will be first on the scene capturing HD footage of the new 2019 Winter NAMM Martins. Which video do you want to see first?

SalFromChatham 01-24-2019 10:40 AM

The slopes!

Nyghthawk 01-24-2019 10:46 AM

I am going to second the choice of the new slope shouldered models, the D-17ss in specific.

Cuki79 01-24-2019 10:48 AM

Hi Maury,

I vote for the:

* The D-18 and OM-28 Modern Deluxe: with neck shape comments please!!
* The 3 slope shoulders
* 000-13E

brencat 01-24-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyghthawk (Post 5958498)
I am going to second the choice of the new slope shouldered models, the D-17ss in specific.

Agreed... plus the 000-28 MD and OM-28 MD with detailed descriptions of neck profiles, and feel of the neck differences on the 28s (I believe the OM will have the wider standard taper).

Thx in advance.

Cameleye 01-24-2019 11:45 AM

The OM-28 MD.

D41Fan 01-24-2019 11:45 AM

Also agree with the slopes. Especially the 15 series.

antsdmb 01-24-2019 11:46 AM

that new authentic!

SlopeD 01-24-2019 11:54 AM

what slopes are they releasing aside from the 17 series one?

SalFromChatham 01-24-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlopeD (Post 5958594)
what slopes are they releasing aside from the 17 series one?

i think there is also a 15 series one - a streetmaster with some faux distressing.

MaurysMusic 01-24-2019 05:54 PM

Thanks guys! The slopes have spoken! 😬 I'll try and have my DSS-15M Streetmaster video uploaded within the hour. 👍

MaurysMusic 01-25-2019 05:54 AM

We have more to share ASAP, but all our videos will eventually make their way to our blog here. Thanks for your interest! :up:

banjomule 01-25-2019 06:58 AM

The dss-17 sounds pretty great! Thanks for sharing!

SalFromChatham 01-25-2019 07:28 AM

the streetmaster is a winner to my 15 series-biased ears.

Thanks for the great videos Maury. When do you get these models in stock?

MaurysMusic 01-25-2019 10:26 AM

You're very welcome, guys! We have more videos on the way. We expect a February ETA on much of these new models.

learningalways 01-25-2019 01:44 PM

I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?

MaurysMusic 01-25-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by learningalways (Post 5959789)
I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?

Sorry we're not in Anaheim, we're at the Martin Factory in Nazareth, PA.

Groberts 01-25-2019 02:45 PM

Edit: I think my favorites are the OM-28 MD. The 000-28 was impressive but I felt the low end was clouding the midrange detail. Depends on touch. I imagine someone who plays fingerstyle with their 'nails' might get a very different result.

The DSS Black Smoke might have been my favorite of all these. The cutaway OMCE's look cool but didn't blow me away. The OM-28 MD was definitely the stand out for balance (for me). But that Black Smoke DSS was really quite awesome! Thanks Maury!

brencat 01-25-2019 03:11 PM

Thanks for the videos Maury.

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).

Groberts 01-25-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 5959872)

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).

I agree Brendan. That particular Black Smoke DSS had a little something extra.

MaurysMusic 01-26-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 5959872)

You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.

brencat 01-26-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic (Post 5960384)
You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.

Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?

Zissou Intern 01-26-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic (Post 5959601)
You're very welcome, guys! We have more videos on the way. We expect a February ETA on much of these new models.

Thanks for posting the individual videos! They're the best I have seen of the NAMM offerings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 5960468)
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?

Being an exact spec' of a pre-war neck, it has to be deeper/fuller profile than the MLO/PA necks. At least I hope it is. Not all of us want our acoustics to have Fender electric necks à la Taylor.

MaurysMusic 01-26-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencat (Post 5960468)

I've been playing guitar professionally since the late 80's but as much as I've progressed in my abilities to discern tone, I've never been good at expressing what a neck feels like. I don't know why. The modern deluxe neck is unique though... when someone hands me an MD, and I receive the guitar by holding the lower bout with my right hand and my left hand holds the neck at fret 12 or so, the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.

Scott_19 01-26-2019 11:24 AM

Great stuff, guys! The new D-12E looks interesting, if you haven't done that yet

brencat 01-26-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic (Post 5960521)
the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.

:( Thanks Maury. Unfortunately that is the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Was anticipating a PA taper neck with a deep full C shape and nice rounded shoulders the entire length of the neck.