The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Roy Buchanan (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517994)

murrmac123 08-08-2018 06:23 PM

Roy Buchanan

Not acoustic, but I am certain that there must be many fans of the late, great and forever lamented Roy Buchanan on here.

Back in May 1973, I was temporarily laid up with flu, for which I will be forever grateful, since instead of being down at the pub consuming vast quantities of alcoholic beverages, I was forced to stay at home, and fortuitously was able to watch the BBC program the Old Grey Whistle Test, which on that particular show featured the legendary Roy Buchanan.

I was aware of Roy from the release of his single "Sweet Dreams" (which I loved, and still do) the previous year in 1972 , but I was unprepared for the sheer power and virtuosity of his live performance that night on the OGWT. It made a deep impression on me, and has stayed in my memory ever since, so imagine my joy when I learned tonight that the session has been put up on Youtube, and his amazing rendition of "Sweet Dreams" that night is now available to view once again, after a lapse of 45 years.

Here is Roy, demonstrating why he was arguably the finest Telecaster master of all time . Fast forward to 8.40 to skip the somewhat mundane interview with "Whispering Bob Harris".

62&climbing 08-08-2018 06:55 PM

Wow! If I only could hear this, without video, I would have told you it the Allman Bros. Who taught who(m)? This is great stuff. I like how Roy doesn't have to go through lots of gyrations and face scrunches to make that guitar sing. Who is doing the vocals?

Thanks for posting this.

FrankHudson 08-08-2018 07:02 PM

Yes, one of the greats, and one reason I became infatuated with the Telecaster, not that I have anything like his chops. He had a beautiful way of creating a cohesive solo.

ishtar 08-08-2018 07:39 PM

The Live Stock album impressed the heck out of me. 'Can I Change My Mind' is quite a fine rendition of the song...

Borderdon 08-08-2018 08:37 PM

One listen to “ Hot Wires”, and holey moley !
Great player for sure.

steveh 08-09-2018 11:24 AM

Beautiful touch: Michael Watts' acoustic version of "The Messiah will come again" is on my "to learn" list.

LOVE Gary Moore's version of Messiah as well.

Cheers,
Steve

Bob Womack 08-09-2018 12:19 PM

What was the name of the first song he played on that Old Grey Whistle Test?

Bob

FrankHudson 08-09-2018 03:49 PM

"Sweet Dreams" written by Don Gibson and made famous by Patsy Cline.

Rocky Dijohn 08-11-2018 03:56 AM

Yes, Roy never resorted to face contortions --- he let his incredibly playing speak for itself. I love his stoic appearance. Working his jaw side to side is about as demonstrative as he gets (and it looks cool, too).

Bob Womack 08-11-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 5805384)
"Sweet Dreams" written by Don Gibson and made famous by Patsy Cline.

Thanks! I knew it from my childhood but couldn't remember why.

Bob

FrankHudson 08-11-2018 08:26 AM

I have the same problem. I'll hear a melody and think "I know this tune" but then not be able to place the title.

Buchanan started out on pedal steel. He's the master of doing the oblique bend so precisely that it sounds like it's a mechanism and not just a his fingers, or vibrato between notes so smooth and slow that it sounds like a slide is being used. Sweet Dreams shows off those skills.

In using the expressive pallet of the electric guitar, the guy's a master class.

Mooh 08-11-2018 08:42 AM

He was first on a bill with Soft Machine and The James Gang in 1974, and by far the best of the three. Blew my mind.

Livestock. Great record.

Brucebubs 08-11-2018 07:59 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Rolling Stones wanted him at one point but Roy wasn't interested, he didn't want to have to learn all their stuff!

Michael Watts 08-12-2018 09:24 AM

Thank you for posting, that video had passed me by and I've now watched it twice on the trot. Amazing work.

kathyson 08-12-2018 10:32 AM

Roy

Saw him at the Cow Palace in Ft. Collins, CO in I think 1983. Was sitting literally, a few feet awat from him. Amazing show!