The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Passing on a tune that's too easy. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510539)

TBman 05-15-2018 11:18 AM

Passing on a tune that's too easy.

I had found a tune that sounded great and I wanted to learn it. Once I got hold of the sheet music for it and started to work on it I realized that although it sounds excellent it's just a little more challenging than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, lol.

I'm torn between learning the 8 or so pages so I can get a good recording or passing on it as technically it isn't doing anything for me.

There is a lot to be said about putting myself into the tune, the execution, recording, and the final "product", that is always fun to do, but I'm on the fence.

sirwhale 05-15-2018 11:47 AM

I know how you feel. Some songs sound great, but when there isn't much challenge there, I can get a bit bored. It depends on just how great it sounds, if it really does, then I'll memorize it for a nice song too play, if not, I often pass.

DukeX 05-15-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 5729346)
...There is a lot to be said about putting myself into the tune, the execution, recording, and the final "product", that is always fun to do...

That would be enough for me. Make a great recording of a lovely song.

I have recordings of Amazing Grace by some world class guitarists. It doesn't get any more simple and lovely than that. :)

Chriscom 05-15-2018 12:02 PM

You have to be way above average to really breathe life into a simple song.

Just like it's harder to sing or play slowly, with conviction and impact, than quickly. And throw in "soft" instead of "loud" and your head might explode with the focus it requires to do well.

Just think about all the blues songs that are simple on the page, but when your average amateur does them they're dreck.

DukeX 05-15-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chriscom (Post 5729386)
Just think about all the blues songs that are simple on the page, but when your average amateur does them they're dreck.

Hey, I resent that! :D

Guitars+gems 05-15-2018 12:24 PM

If it's not lighting your fuse, what's the point?
But here is just a suggestion. Since the piece is easy, but you like the way it sounds, maybe you could challenge yourself to figure it out by ear? I mean without the use of the notation and tab.

JerrysGuitarBar 05-15-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars+gems (Post 5729400)
If it's not lighting your fuse, what's the point?
But here is just a suggestion. Since the piece is easy, but you like the way it sounds, maybe you could challenge yourself to figure it out by ear? I mean without the use of the notation and tab.

Or extend it by developing your own variation(s) on the main theme.

KDepew 05-15-2018 01:12 PM

I am a big believer in "If it sounds good, it is good". So if you like it, go for it.

rick-slo 05-15-2018 02:02 PM

If it has a nice melody then you can work up your own arrangement that you may be happy with.

Pnewsom 05-15-2018 05:07 PM

Passing on a tune that's too easy.

What’s the tune?

There are tunes that sound great to me, but lyrically fall short, or espouse a view or sentiment that I wouldn’t feel good about singing.
Often I have a fair bit of work into them when they get the axe.

TBman 05-15-2018 05:48 PM

Good thoughts everyone. Maybe embellishments is the way to go. Here's the tune by the original artist, Gin.

Erithon 05-15-2018 06:26 PM

That is a nice tune, but if it's not working for you it's not working for you. That said, this piece is all about the musicality, not the technicality.

Chriscom 05-15-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeX (Post 5729389)
Hey, I resent that! :D

Lol but honestly, I was thinking of me!

Wyllys 05-15-2018 07:31 PM

In such cases I like to start by playing very slowly in free time, maybe repeating the first changes, maybe playing the out, centering on the tone, then the tune. Take it into tempo and full flow when it tells you. You're inside the tune...now play your way out. Listen for how the tune fits in with the ambient sound and play along.

I can do hours on "Shortnin' Bread"...playing the tune, not the notes.

TBman 05-15-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithon (Post 5729677)
That is a nice tune, but if it's not working for you it's not working for you. That said, this piece is all about the musicality, not the technicality.

There you go. Good point. There is more to a song than just playing it. Back to the woodshed!