The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New system for frets 10 - 21 in TAB (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519301)

agfsteve 08-21-2018 10:20 PM

New system for frets 10 - 21 in TAB

I have invented an amazing new way to write TAB for frets 10 through 21 that avoids the cumbersome two-character-wide numbering system that makes TAB ugly and hard to read.

I discovered that each number, when spelled out, has a letter that can be used to symbolise its number.

The below TAB, overlaid with the spelled out numbers, shows each symbolic letter in bold, e.g. fret 10 = t, 11 = e, 12 = w, etc.:
Code:

t
                        t w
                        w e
                        e n
---                s e  n t  ---
---      t t  f  e i  t y  ---
-----t-e-w-h-f-i-s-v-g-n-y-o-----
---  e l e i o f i e h i  n  ---
---  n e l r u t x n t n  e  ---
---    v v t r e t t e e      ---
      e e e t e e e e t
      n  e e n e e n e
          n e  n n  e
            n        n

The system can easily be recalled by remembering the word "Tewhfisvgnyo", or the mnemonic, "Tiny Elves' Withered Hands Fit Inside Small Velvet Gloves, Not Your Orifice".

The minor drawbacks so far are:
1) Might not work in any language other than English (research required)
2) There is no logical symbolic letter for fret 22, although fret 23 could be "r" (first available letter in "Twenty Three"), and fret 24 could be "u" (first available letter in "Twenty Four")
3) The "h" symbolising fret 13 could be confused with the "h" currently symbolising a hammer-on.

The Growler 08-21-2018 10:45 PM

LOL

Just learning standard notation might be quicker! :D

David M123 08-22-2018 10:19 PM

Ummm - assuming you're actually serious - why not just start with a for ten and then proceed alphabetically?

It would be a lot easier to remember than that silly elves thing.

robj144 08-22-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M123 (Post 5816333)
Ummm - assuming you're actually serious - why not just start with a for ten and then proceed alphabetically?

It would be a lot easier to remember than that silly elves thing.

You actually think he's serious?

:)

Ozzy the dog 08-23-2018 02:25 AM

This 'Tewhfisvgnyo' thingy is great but I find it easier to remember by:-

Taylor, Epiphone, Washburn, Hofner, Fender, Ibanez, Seagull, Vantage, Gibson, Norlund,Yari, Ovation.

Certainly makes the tabs easier to swallow.

JonPR 08-23-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M123 (Post 5816333)

That's what I was thinking. Kind of like hexadecimal numbering, extended.

Still, I have no problem with the supposedly "messy" double figures. The extra spacing required is much less of a problem than having to remember how to associate letters with fret numbers.
It looks like another guitarist's desperate attempt to avoid learning notation. Aaaagh, anything but those blobs on stalks!!! :eek: :cry:

agfsteve 08-23-2018 07:30 AM

I was actually joking, but it took me so long to figure out how to get that stupid TAB diagram to line up that by the time I was done I was close to having the system memorised.

For what it's worth, I don't even read TAB or notation, although once in a while I make enough effort to get an understanding of either one for a given piece of music.

KevWind 08-23-2018 07:31 AM

Lets see if I am getting this correctly we have simplified things by simply having to memorize letters to relate to numbers to relate to letters to relate to notes :eek: Okee Dokee Then

agfsteve 08-23-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5816499)
Lets see if I am getting this correctly we have simplified things by simply having to memorize letters to relate to numbers to relate to letters to relate to notes :eek: Okee Dokee Then

Good point, I'll add that to the list of minor drawbacks.

Joscefi78 08-24-2018 12:27 AM

I bailed when dude said "orifice".

JonPR 08-24-2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joscefi78 (Post 5817318)
I bailed when dude said "orifice".

Sorry, I am currently out of the orifice. Please leave a massage.