The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Wooden plectrums (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473717)

Ze. 06-18-2017 01:02 AM

Wooden plectrums

Bet this has been done before but i thought it was a rip off paying £2.50 for one pic .My word was i wrong ,i would have payed a lot more had someone said the success i am having with this meaty wooden pic .

edit ;If they ever make one with a whistle on it for when i lose them i would be straight on it:D

Mandobart 06-19-2017 08:23 AM

I've tried a few wooden picks and never liked the tone. To each their own.

HHP 06-19-2017 09:35 AM

I don't even start to think rip off till they hit close to $75.

Silly Moustache 06-19-2017 11:01 AM

Nope, not for me. Dull, soft, flabby sound.I think they are a gimmick.

Pualee 06-19-2017 01:29 PM

After a day or two, it will start to wear a groove where you initiate contact with the string. After a week or two, it becomes useless because that groove catches the strings and snags.

(already made that mistake myself)

Ze. 06-19-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5379928)
Nope, not for me. Dull, soft, flabby sound.I think they are a gimmick.

That does surprise me it was after watching some of your videos that made me try a plectrum again but the wooden pick is much heavier than i would usually gone for in a plastic pic .It (the wooden one ) works and thats all i'm interested in at the minuet ....i'm doing it like in your vids so i'm having fun

HHP 06-19-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ze. (Post 5380207)
That does surprise me it was after watching some of your videos that made me try a plectrum again but the wooden pick is much heavier than i would usually gone for in a plastic pic .It (the wooden one ) works and thats all i'm interested in at the minuet ....i'm doing it like in your vids so i'm having fun

They are fine for minuets but you'll need something better for waltzes.

Ze. 06-19-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5380213)
They are fine for minuets but you'll need something better for waltzes.

If nothing else the wooden pic has shown me i prefer a more heavy pic ...

great for picking notes as i use a strumming rhythmic motion by improvising chord progressions ...i'm still loving the wooden one

Pitar 06-19-2017 04:15 PM

Wooden or wood?

Wood picks. Wood furniture. Wood trim. Wood bindings.

Why do we say wooden? It's in the lexicon only out of conventional use regardless of the error in its etymology.

Wooden means a material of a wood quality that is not wood. But, I see it used all the time for items made of wood. Would it be fair to say our acoustic guitars are wooden, meaning, wood-like?

Sorry, pet peeve.

Otherwise, being strictly a finger picker, I can't say anything about wood picks other than they look cool.

HHP 06-19-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ze. (Post 5380220)
If nothing else the wooden pic has shown me i prefer a more heavy pic ...

great for picking notes as i use a strumming rhythmic motion by improvising chord progressions ...i'm still loving the wooden one

Not many examples where you would use wood to effect steel. Tends to work out the other way 'round.

Ze. 06-19-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitar (Post 5380235)
Wooden or wood?

Why do we say wooden? It's in the lexicon only out of conventional use regardless of the error in its etymology.

Wooden means a material of a wood quality that is not wood. But, I see it used all the time for items made of wood. Would it be fair to say our acoustic guitars are wooden, meaning, wood-like?

Sorry, pet peeve.

Otherwise, being strictly a finger picker, I can't say anything about wood picks other than they look cool.

Wooden means made of wood to me in the uk ...i'm too old to change now :D

Ze. 06-19-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5380242)
Not many examples where you would use wood to effect steel. Tends to work out the other way 'round.

Its all about the feel in the hand for me at the minuet ...

SunnyDee 06-19-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitar (Post 5380235)
Wooden or wood?

Sorry, pet peeve.

Regardless of etymology, it also just means made of wood. Like "a wooden spoon" in the kitchen? Perhaps the usage varies regionally, but it's not incorrect.

I ordered a few of the Thali wood/wooden picks, but a friend has them now. He said one of the thin ones broke right away, but he likes the thicker ones.

Ze. 06-19-2017 08:12 PM

Was loving the wooden pic on my EJ 200 but its back in the shop with a faulty tuner ( shop swapping it over for a new one ok ) and i tried the wooden pic on my Paul Brett 12 string which is a smaller bodied guitar and i have to admit i'm not sure it does the 12 string justice ,does sound a bit dull for the 12 string .

wish i could play mine like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruasHMQZyhs