The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   E10 00 vs. E20 00 Eastman (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464582)

Sagebrush Tom 03-26-2017 07:52 PM

E10 00 vs. E20 00 Eastman

I'm in the process of buying a 00 guitar, and I would like the expert opinions of you fellow Eastman small body enthusiasts (or any small body enthusiasts) here on AGF.
I would like your thoughts on what Eastman model, E10 00 vs. E20 00, you prefer.
I own other small body acoustics, an single 0, OM (E20) and a 000 models and I'm a finger stylist and prefer small body guitars. Any info on what you can share would be very much appreciated.
The specs on these two models are just about identical except for appearance
and back and side woods.

Thank You,

Tom

Pura Vida 03-26-2017 09:46 PM

I'm not sure this will help (sorry!), but just played an E10 00 this afternoon at a local music store. I was extremely impressed with the sound (much bigger than I expected for such a small guitar) and tone (very well balanced). I played both finger style and with a pick.

As I said, it definitely exceeded my expectations, but I still couldn't help but to think what it would sound like against its Rosewood model (E20 00).

5th Element 03-26-2017 10:30 PM

I'm also interested in these two models. They aren't available locally.

47gene 03-27-2017 05:41 AM

I have owned both and both and they are wonderful guitars....

I play fingerstyle... both are loud and not "boxy" sounding at all....

I think sound is up to individual preference....

You can buy used (hard to find) but resale for little if any loss...

I highly recommend them... :)

KenL 03-27-2017 06:07 AM

I haven't played a small rosewood Eastman, but I bought myself an E10P (mahogany parlor) to be my "couch guitar". It's small, so I can fit myself, my 17-year old dog, and the guitar all in my chair while I play and watch TV.

Problem is, that little sucker is so dang loud that I can't hear the TV and the dog can't sleep. I didn't expect so much volume out of such a little guitar!

I would like to try an E20P too, but they are scarce.

Dallon426 03-27-2017 06:21 AM

Before I could afford Martin's I had an Eastman E20om
And it was incredible. Very loud and beautiful tone.
I now prefer mahogany over rosewood..
You should also check out a slopeshoulder
Or just get a Martin 00-15, I think the martin especially a custom with a wider nut it way more valuable. Plus you are almost guaranteed not to lose money if you ever resell.
Eastman you are pretty much guaranteed to lose money

Kerbie 03-27-2017 06:22 AM

I don't own one of either and I'm an unabashed fan of Mahogany, especially in small-bodied guitars. I just think the balance of Mahogany blends beautifully with the increased focus of a small body. You end up with a very well-balanced, precise-sounding guitar. I like those traits a lot, but not everybody does.

I've played a lot of Eastmans and always like the 10s better, but that's just personal preference. Good luck... hard to go wrong with that choice. Nothing beats a sweet 00.

rokdog49 03-27-2017 06:25 AM

I own the E 10 OO...never played either version.
What surprised me the most about this guitar was how loud it is and the very nice overtones I get. So much so that I thought I had been shipped the wrong guitar as in "mis-labeled" from the factory. I actually called Ted and he laughed and said that he too has played the E 10 OO and agrees it has great overtones and sustain. In an earlier telephone conversation Ted had advised me to go with the mahogany as I wanted maximum projection and loudness. I ended up with that and more.
In my opinion, this particular Eastman body style might be the best guitar they make. Good luck trying to decide.

Jimmy Recard 03-27-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL (Post 5283601)
I haven't played a small rosewood Eastman, but I bought myself an E10P (mahogany parlor) to be my "couch guitar". It's small, so I can fit myself, my 17-year old dog, and the guitar all in my chair while I play and watch TV.

Problem is, that little sucker is so dang loud that I can't hear the TV and the dog can't sleep. I didn't expect so much volume out of such a little guitar!

I would like to try an E20P too, but they are scarce.

Around xmas I was in a store playing a E20P. The salesman in the store came over for a chat and he said if I bought the guitar there and then he'd sell it for $770.00 USD. It was a really really nice sounding guitar but I'd only just bought 2 new guitars and so I declined. He said I'd regret it and he was right.

rokdog49 03-27-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallon426 (Post 5283609)
Before I could afford Martin's I had an Eastman E20om
And it was incredible. Very loud and beautiful tone.
I now prefer mahogany over rosewood..
You should also check out a slopeshoulder
Or just get a Martin 00-15, I think the martin especially a custom with a wider nut it way more valuable. Plus you are almost guaranteed not to lose money if you ever resell.
Eastman you are pretty much guaranteed to lose money

I respectfully disagree. I just saw a used OO-15 for under a $1000.
You will lose money on any used guitar and Eastman's hold their value quite well lately, especially those built over the last couple of years.
I would add that tthe two guitars have completely different "voices".

T Texas 03-27-2017 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49;5283636e
I would add that tthe two guitars have completely different "voices".

No doubt. I've never played a E10-00 but I have an E20-00 and it sounds NOTHING like an all mahogany 15 series, which I have owned serveral of in the past.

Sagebrush Tom 03-27-2017 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. These two models are not guitars that very many people have had the chance to play. I have played both models and each guitar has it's strong points and at times they can be very different sounding guitars. I feel for what they're designed for (my thoughts) finger style playing, accomplish that feat very well and it comes down to what sound i like, rosewood or mahogany. I like what both guitars bring to the table and would love to own either one. Maybe that's the solution, they're priced that someone could afford both.
If there's any other thoughts on these two models, keep 'em coming.

Thanks,

Tom

arktrav 03-27-2017 12:23 PM

I own both and they are without a doubt the best guitar bargains on the market!! I believe they would play with any "00", and maybe loose some ground to the very high ends but play exceptionally well!! You will love either of these two guitars!

rokdog49 03-27-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arktrav (Post 5284087)
I own both and they are without a doubt the best guitar bargains on the market!! I believe they would play with any "00", and maybe loose some ground to the very high ends but play exceptionally well!! You will love either of these two guitars!

Aha! Confirmation.
My friend and fellow enthusiast just shakes his head when I (or he), plays mine.

Tell us which one is louder please...

tdq 03-27-2017 04:44 PM

I was very close to getting the E1000 and tried both as well as the the other E10 models (E1000SS and E10M(?)) - I also tried the E2000 but I think I knew I wanted the E10 before I even walked in the store. I actually liked the E1000SS the best, although I loved the look of the E1000. Unfortunately I couldn't make it happen but I'd still love one.