The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Olson SJ BRW (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277953)

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 12:50 PM

Olson SJ BRW

I've only had my Olson SJ "The Tree" for a bit over a week and I've already nearly dinged it twice.

The first time I stopped about an inch away from banging the top against the mic stand. And the second time I actually swung the guitar against that same mic stand -- but miraculously the metal pole got stuck between two tuner buttons and never touched the wood. A friend of mine actually had to help me separate the two objects.

All of this is telling me that I need a less blingy Olson. It's not a matter of money as there isn't that much of a difference -- but a plain guitar always survives a few marks better than one with paua all over the place.

And quite objectively, the Olson SJ is a really good fit with my visual and sonic preferences.

So I've asked Jim to build me something similar to James Taylor's signature guitar -- but with BRW back and sides and BRW veneer on the back of the peghead. Everything else, including the three-ring rosette, the solid MOP inlays and even the black pickguard, will be "vintage" spec.

Here's a picture of the guitar that inspired me:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag113/GAtaylor.jpg

So another Olson build will start in just a few months. Yes, it's very unreasonable -- but we only live once... ;)

Happy New Year!

Fsgeek 12-31-2012 12:55 PM

Congrats on your beautiful guitar... are you planning to have another cedar topped SJ??? One of the best Olsons I have played had an Engelmann spruce over braz... Happy New Gear, I mean Happy New Year:D

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fsgeek (Post 3297682)
Congrats on your beautiful guitar... are you planning to have another cedar topped SJ??? One of the best Olsons I have played had an Engelmann spruce over braz... Happy New Gear, I mean Happy New Year:D

Thanks!

Yes it will be another cedar top Olson. Sonically it won't be too far off the one I already have -- but it's semi important for me to own a guitar that is close enough to JT's main guitar. As silly as it may seem, I really want that black pickguard! ;)

If all goes well, I'll commission a blingy Olson with a spruce top in 2014.

jeastman 12-31-2012 01:42 PM

If I were blessed enough to own an Olson, it would look exactly like that. Great choice!

ZekeM 12-31-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3297693)
If all goes well, I'll commission a blingy Olson with a spruce top in 2014.

:eek: 3 olsons :eek:

I wish I wish I wish.

You are a lucky man joe ;)

ukejon 12-31-2012 03:26 PM

You are ordering an Olson beater? Dang!

Guest 213 12-31-2012 03:26 PM

Ok, Joe, you are not helping my contentment with this new thread!!! :D

Seriously, I am very excited for you and am eager to watch this thread as it develops. As I mentioned to you before, IF I am able to commission a second Olson, it will definitely be spruce/RW non-cutaway. But no pick guard, not even clear. I just can't do it :) But I know what you are going for here (classic JT).

Billy Boy 12-31-2012 03:37 PM

Oh, my goodness, Mau! Already "The Tree" Olson, and now a braz/cedar on order, and potentially a braz/spruce in a couple of years?!?! I save my pennies to get my one Olson, and I feel very fortunate to own that. It's currently shown on Jim's website under "Recently Sold" at the bottom of page 3. Not much bling, but I sure love it!

http://www.olsonguitars.com/rs.php?page=3

I look forward to your continuing this thread once the build begins.

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeastman (Post 3297752)
If I were blessed enough to own an Olson, it would look exactly like that. Great choice!

Thank you!

I actually saw a similarly appointed model at Jim's shop -- and in person it is really gorgeous. The photos often make the guitar look a bit bland -- but with the pickguard on it has a great vibe.

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZekeM (Post 3297852)
:eek: 3 olsons :eek:

I wish I wish I wish.

You are a lucky man joe ;)

Well, for now, just one Olson... ;)

I grew up in a suburb of Montreal dreaming of owning a car so I could stay out past 11 pm. Now I live downtown and call a taxi when I have to go anywhere. Huge yearly savings.

I've also lived in the same modest place for the past 10 years and my mortgage accounts for less than 5% of my income.

I'll look for a bigger place when I run out of storage room for my guitars! ;)

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukejon (Post 3297897)
You are ordering an Olson beater? Dang!

I beat my guitars very gently -- but yes, an Olson beater indeed.

I treat my guitars very nicely but I do play long hours -- wear and tear will inevitably show up. I'm not much of a collector but I'd like to spare the ornate Olson a bit if I can... ;)

JoeCharter 12-31-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraceGuitars (Post 3297898)
Ok, Joe, you are not helping my contentment with this new thread!!! :D

Seriously, I am very excited for you and am eager to watch this thread as it develops. As I mentioned to you before, IF I am able to commission a second Olson, it will definitely be spruce/RW non-cutaway. But no pick guard, not even clear. I just can't do it :) But I know what you are going for here (classic JT).

Hey Jon,

Yeah I call it my "faux JTSM". From the front it'll be just like the signature model. I actually prefer the JTSM I to the new/upgraded model.

I meant to ask you, do you use your Charis and Olson in similar contexts or do you try to spare the Olson a bit when you choose which instrument to play/gig with? I was curious to know what motivated you to commission those three builds.

cigarfan 12-31-2012 05:17 PM

Wow! Another Olson? :eek:

I guess as a previous customer you must get preferential access to Jim's build schedule. That's amazing!

Congrats big guy! I know you can make em' sing. Seems only fitting you should have a few. :)

cedarkoa599 12-31-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3297677)
I've only had my Olson SJ "The Tree" for a bit over a week and I've already nearly dinged it twice.

The first time I stopped about an inch away from banging the top against the mic stand. And the second time I actually swung the guitar against that same mic stand -- but miraculously the metal pole got stuck between two tuner buttons and never touched the wood. A friend of mine actually had to help me separate the two objects.

All of this is telling me that I need a less blingy Olson. It's not a matter of money as there isn't that much of a difference -- but a plain guitar always survives a few marks better than one with paua all over the place.

And quite objectively, the Olson SJ is a really good fit with my visual and sonic preferences.

So I've asked Jim to build me something similar to James Taylor's signature guitar -- but with BRW back and sides and BRW veneer on the back of the peghead. Everything else, including the three-ring rosette, the solid MOP inlays and even the black pickguard, will be "vintage" spec.

Here's a picture of the guitar that inspired me:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag113/GAtaylor.jpg

So another Olson build will start in just a few months. Yes, it's very unreasonable -- but we only live once... ;)

Happy New Year!

if I were you I think I would do the same thing.

Guest 213 12-31-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3298031)
Hey Jon,

Yeah I call it my "faux JTSM". From the front it'll be just like the signature model. I actually prefer the JTSM I to the new/upgraded model.

I meant to ask you, do you use your Charis and Olson in similar contexts or do you try to spare the Olson a bit when you choose which instrument to play/gig with? I was curious to know what motivated you to commission those three builds.

The bottom line: tonal variety. I use them interchangeably pretty much regardless of the type of piece, depending on what mood I'm in :) As to what motivated the builds, it was hearing Michael Card perform and record with both a Charis and Olson. Michael played a cedar/EIR Charis GC and also an cedar/EIR Olson SJ. I wanted the spruce/EIR Charis to replace my original Charis that I had sold with similar specs.