The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Attn: John Mayer & DMB Fans (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16954)

DaveM 02-10-2003 10:15 PM

Attn: John Mayer & DMB Fans

I am a long-time fan of DMB and have more recently gotten into John Mayer. As far as acoustic music goes, I also love James Taylor and Clapton, and listen to Jason Mraz as well.

No matter what I listen to and/or play, I always find myself coming back to DMB because of the energy of the music. My question is, have any of you found anything else that compares to DMB in this sense? Any recommendations for me based on my preferences?

Thanks,
- Dave

Ricky_the_Pilot 02-10-2003 10:29 PM

You should listen to Neil Young. He inspired Dave Matthews. He's kinda scruffy looking but he can sing really good.:ha: You know John Mayer is a big DMB fan. He owns a DM3MD wich he uses on a regular basis. By the way, did anyone here get tickets to the upcoming Dave and Tim acoustic tour. I couldn't get any. They all sold out in like 30 minutes. :mad:

kylec_te51 02-10-2003 10:29 PM

hey

try some widespread panic. no one ever listens to me about this band. "Jack" is an awesome song. It's on the "Ain't Life Grand" album, which is in my opinion their best. if you check it out let me know what you think.

kyle

crowdedstr 02-10-2003 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ricky_the_Pilot
You should listen to Neil Young. He inspired Dave Matthews. He's kinda scruffy looking but he can sing really good.:ha: You know John Mayer is a big DMB fan. He owns a DM3MD wich he uses on a regular basis. By the way, did anyone here get tickets to the upcoming Dave and Tim acoustic tour. I couldn't get any. They all sold out in like 30 minutes. :mad:
i got tix to the boone, north carolina show thru the fan club, and i camped out in -10 windchills for tix to the kenosha, wi show as well

if you're up for heading to boone, nc for a show, they actually still have tickets available at their box office. the phone number to reach them is 828-262-6603. you'll have to pay with credit card over the phone, the seats wont be great, but they'll be a way in the door. good luck!!!

ler 02-10-2003 11:20 PM

Im was lucky enough to get tickets to Oxford. :roll: I also agree that Neil Young is great, not a big fan of Mayer though I just dont like his voice for some reason.

chtaylo2 02-11-2003 06:27 AM

Well, if you like John Mayer and Jason Mraz I'd recommend Ari Hest and Matt Nathanson.

Ari Hest Website

Matt Nathanson Website

-Chris

JamBermuda 02-11-2003 07:31 AM

No tickets:(

Tried for the radio city show (haaa!)....no luck....

Not a happy camper....could have used a little weekend getaway with the dear one....rats!!!

acousticking 02-11-2003 09:12 AM

Ben Harper

ME@VT 02-14-2003 11:13 AM

I attest my rapid growth in skill when playing guitar to my constant practice of earlier Dave tunes. However, lately I think his guitar pieces are really lacking the intense, full, technical "Dave Style" (i.e. Trippin Billies, What Would You Say, Stone...) that they once had.

John Mayer has some incredible guitar in his songs, and thats what I've been playing alot recently. I like his unique chords, and I think its a nice transition into more jazzy progressions.

ME@VT 02-14-2003 01:14 PM

I Just thought of a great band... Anyone here heard of "Carbon Leaf"?

They are an incredible band out of Richmond VA. They're music is Celtic Groove Rock (as they call it). Their rhythm guitarist is so-so, but their lead guitarist SHREDS on both guitar and mandolin.

Check them out.

Jeeves 02-14-2003 01:21 PM

A previous post recommended Ben Harper.
i'd say if you're going to listen to Harper, you owe it to yourself to listen to Jack Johnson as well.

I'd also throw Howie Day on the list....

chtaylo2 02-14-2003 02:36 PM

Howie Day is great live. The Jack Johnson cd is pretty good too. But if you're looking for acoustic guitar music with a different feel, like DMB or JM then I'd check out the 2 guys I mentioned above. Especially Ari Hest for some cool guitar chord progressions.

-Chris

crowdedstr 02-14-2003 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ME@VT
However, lately I think his guitar pieces are really lacking the intense, full, technical "Dave Style" (i.e. Trippin Billies, What Would You Say, Stone...) that they once had
with the obvious exception being "you never know" :)

Midnight Shadow 02-17-2003 10:27 AM

I don't know where I have been but I had not heard of John Mayer until about a month ago. I watched him on TV play and do an interview. Now that fellow can play and he appeared to have a good sense of humpor to boot.
Midnight Shadow

ME@VT 02-17-2003 12:01 PM

I think he tries to hard to copy the well known Dave Speak humor.