The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Awaiting... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523413)

Guest 928 02-14-2019 12:46 PM

It would be sweet to get an occasional sound track of student efforts. Thereby further eroding your reputation as a hard butt.

Captain Jim 02-14-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 5979643)
It would be sweet to get an occasional sound track of student efforts. Thereby further eroding your reputation as a hard butt.

My daughter shot this today, Evan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCo...ature=youtu.be

We reviewed the 2 chords they learned on Monday, practiced strumming, and were introduced to three more chords. No school on Friday or Monday, due to the Presidents' Day holiday... I told them: "More time for guitar practice!" ;)

It was apparent that there had been some practicing being done. Two new guitars purchased by parents... this means every kid now has a decent guitar to learn on. :up:

After class, one young man asked if there was any interest in "doing a concert for a fund-raising effort"... I suggested that it might be best to wait until we are able to learn and play some songs.

"When can we learn songs?"

"When you are able to switch from one chord to another. All the more reason to practice!"

David Eastwood 02-14-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5979956)
After class, one young man asked if there was any interest in "doing a concert for a fund-raising effort"... I suggested that it might be best to wait until we are able to learn and play some songs.

"When can we learn songs?"

"When you are able to switch from one chord to another. All the more reason to practice!"

I'm loving this. Let me know if you can use some strings - offer still stands.

Captain Jim 02-14-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 5979958)
I'm loving this. Let me know if you can use some strings - offer still stands.

Thank you, David - very gracious offer. We're good for now - just hoping to keep the initial enthusiasm going. If they practice enough, I may have to show them how to change strings at some point. :)

steelvibe 02-14-2019 10:11 PM

This is super cool Jim and the red X10 is looking so good. I can send strings too- or maybe some Andy Mckee tabs that I'll likely never get too :D

just let me know!

jdinaz 02-14-2019 11:05 PM

Hey, I play that same song ! Pretty impressive they have learned that much ! Way to go.

Guest 928 02-15-2019 10:07 AM

I am really amazed that you have these kids working to this level so quickly. Good job, and thanks for the reportage.

Captain Jim 02-18-2019 04:57 PM

I went to a guy's house yesterday here in the park where we're staying - for "a jam." It turned out to a pedal steel player (who is good, but is very country), another guy on an acoustic with no pickup, and me. I played country music, and when I mentioned "rock 'n roll" it was like the scene from a movie where the guy walks into a bar and the crowd turns and goes silent.

I was invited to do another music "get together" today that turned out to be a performance: a good keyboard player/singer and me. Much more compatible (style-wise) than yesterday's get together. Folks in the park literally put this party together in a couple hours. I was able to sit at his left side and follow what he was doing on the keyboard, and I had a set list with OnSong that he could use for words and chords for my selections. Playing some older RnR and country, we did two hours, trading songs back and forth. He had a PA that handled the Event Center in the park just fine, and my Bose S1 worked fine with that... I ran my X10 into the Bose, but ran my mic to his mixer so the vocals would be coming from the same place.

Tony (the keyboard player) has drum rhythms set up on his keyboard and plays for a lot of the dances here at this park; essentially a one-man band. It was fun to make some music... and be done at 3:00 pm. ;)

Guest 928 02-18-2019 07:38 PM

That sounds like fun. Yesterday the Tree Bar Band had a mando visitor who was just incredible. Playing with others is a great learning opportunity.

TheChicagoTodd 02-19-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5983621)
I went to a guy's house yesterday here in the park where we're staying - for "a jam." It turned out to a pedal steel player (who is good, but is very country), another guy on an acoustic with no pickup, and me. I played country music, and when I mentioned "rock 'n roll" it was like the scene from a movie where the guy walks into a bar and the crowd turns and goes silent.



I was invited to do another music "get together" today that turned out to be a performance: a good keyboard player/singer and me. Much more compatible (style-wise) than yesterday's get together. Folks in the park literally put this party together in a couple hours. I was able to sit at his left side and follow what he was doing on the keyboard, and I had a set list with OnSong that he could use for words and chords for my selections. Playing some older RnR and country, we did two hours, trading songs back and forth. He had a PA that handled the Event Center in the park just fine, and my Bose S1 worked fine with that... I ran my X10 into the Bose, but ran my mic to his mixer so the vocals would be coming from the same place.



Tony (the keyboard player) has drum rhythms set up on his keyboard and plays for a lot of the dances here at this park; essentially a one-man band. It was fun to make some music... and be done at 3:00 pm. ;)

Wow...that's awesome!

Todd in Chicago

Captain Jim 02-21-2019 07:45 PM

Back to the guitar lessons at our daughter's school: the kids had a 4 day holiday for Presidents' Day, so their last lesson was one week ago. I suggested they use those 4 days off to get in some additional practice.

Today: apparently, the kids thought that they would retain what they learned last week... without practicing. I told them, "It will be very apparent if you don't practice."

Yep, they didn't practice. Essentially, it was like starting over again. I guess I was the only one who put in any practice time in the last week. ;)

One girl said, "We want to learn some songs."

To which I replied, "I was planning to get you started with a song today. But, without being able to play the chords, there is no way to play a song. Maybe we can do that on Monday if you put in some practice."

For my buddy Evan, I am not being "a hard butt"... frankly, this is about what I expected the second lesson to be like, but they had those first two lessons 3 days apart. They impressed me, showing that they can put in some practice time. It is a truism: if you don't use it, you lose it.

My daughter assured me that after any kind of a break, it is like "starting over" with their study habits.

Joan and I worked with a couple classes with their Gravity Cruisers today, as well. There were triumphs and despairs there, too. Next week is their big school competition with that project. The school's gifted teacher was working with us and said, "You are good at keeping these kids enthused." She wasn't there for the guitar class. :rolleyes:

rlawton 02-22-2019 08:14 AM

Not surprised
 
That’s why I stoppped teaching piano. So many kids would show up to lessons without practicing. My wife is a second grade teacher and is very frustrated because she asks parents to practice reading with their kids and most don’t.

You might need to get creative and add a little “extrinsic motivation”. Maybe give them a practice journal that needs to be signed by their parents and offer a reward for practicing or even have weekly contests to see who can practice the most. Of course quality of practice matters greatly.

Captain Jim 02-22-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlawton (Post 5987011)
That’s why I stoppped teaching piano. So many kids would show up to lessons without practicing. My wife is a second grade teacher and is very frustrated because she asks parents to practice reading with their kids and most don’t.

You might need to get creative and add a little “extrinsic motivation”. Maybe give them a practice journal that needs to be signed by their parents and offer a reward for practicing or even have weekly contests to see who can practice the most. Of course quality of practice matters greatly.

One Mother came in after school to pick up her son's homework (he was absent). I was just setting up for the guitar class (her son is in that). I asked her if he was feeling better... she shrugged her shoulders. I asked if he had been practicing guitar... "Not that I've heard."

Sad to say that there are some involved parents, but many that don't return our daughter's phone calls and have never been to a parent/teacher conference.

I suggested that they try to "practice together - you may be the next popular band!" I saw some thought about that. Not sure if any of them will do it, but mutual encouragement (and competition) could help. ;)

Our daughter still gives homework; I have been told that many teachers don't. It is a different environment. I did tell the kids very directly that if the only time they practice is during the lesson they won't develop the muscle memory needed. There were some wide eyes when I told them that I play (practice) almost everyday. One kid is in baseball, and his coach said he could come late to their practice, when he is done with guitar. Some are involved in other activities, a couple of them seem very shy... it would be great to see them develop some guitar skills.

But, I can't make them practice. We'll see what happens with Monday's class.

On the bright side, our son-in-law is progressing nicely. Of course, he is putting in the practice time. :)

jdinaz 02-22-2019 11:00 AM

Still a great thing you are doing Jim, I heard the same stories from my wife who was a teacher for 30 years, most parents are not involved.
I found out a couple days ago that my Grand Niece (10 years old) has decided to stop her guitar lessons. Don't make me happy, but what can you do. It seems to motivate her when she is around and hears me playing, certainly not an indication of my playing, remember she is 10 and easy to impress. Unfortunately she lives a thousand miles away. Keep plugging Jim....I bet you get thru to more kids than you will ever know.

Captain Jim 02-22-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 5987211)
Still a great thing you are doing Jim, I heard the same stories from my wife who was a teacher for 30 years, most parents are not involved.
I found out a couple days ago that my Grand Niece (10 years old) has decided to stop her guitar lessons. Don't make me happy, but what can you do. It seems to motivate her when she is around and hears me playing, certainly not an indication of my playing, remember she is 10 and easy to impress. Unfortunately she lives a thousand miles away. Keep plugging Jim....I bet you get thru to more kids than you will ever know.

Thanks, John. As long as the kids show up, I'll be there. I remember when I was that age: everyone wanted to play guitar. A few of us stayed with it. I had a well worn Mel Bay booklet... couldn't afford lessons. I told our daughter that some lessons may get them started, and those who are truly interested will continue to learn after we head back to Texas. We'll see how it plays out.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=