The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Small Digital Home Recorder (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208853)

rrgguitarman 02-22-2011 10:43 AM

Small Digital Home Recorder

I'm thinking about purchasing a small (inexpensive) digital recorder that will record to MP3 format. I would like to be able to record the acoustic guitar and add an electric track and maybe my wife's voice on another, may even together? Does that make it a 2 track recorder? it would be great to be able to add other stuff, but I believe more tracks would drive up the price. A friend of mine owns a Zoom H4 that he uses on MP3 mode and it looks fairly simple until he tries to record separate tracks and then its not so simple.
Question, is there an easy to use recorder that will do what I want to do?
Is the Zoom H4 that confusing?
I'm a blooming idiot when it comes to recording anything! My last recorder was back in 1969...a cheap tape recorder that I bought for ten bucks.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I did some searching on past threads and I quickly go overwhelmed....senior moments are becoming more frequent:)

ferg 02-22-2011 11:07 AM

If you want to multi-track, I wouldn't recommend the H4n...it's cumbersome for that purpose. The H4n is much better as a field recorder, and then you have the multitrack functionality in a pinch. If your primarily goal is multitracking, get a dedicated multitrack recorder. Zoom makes an R8, and there are many others. No specific experience. IMO, if you're multitracking at home, the easiest way to do this is on the computer. If you're only recording 1 track at a time, I'd look at the soon-to-be-released Behringer 302 USB - it's a small mixer and USB interface all in one. My guess is you'll be able to get out the door with that and Reaper software under $100.

ljguitar 02-22-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrgguitarman (Post 2525072)
...A friend of mine owns a Zoom H4 that he uses on MP3 mode and it looks fairly simple until he tries to record separate tracks and then its not so simple.

Hi rrg-etc…

Simplicity is not part of multi-track recording. Especially with field recorders (hand held). I own both an H2 and H4 and either can be used as multi-track recorders if you hook them to the computer and make them into an interface.

An iPhone can be called a computer too - technically. But if I'm typing a term paper, I want a real computer.

The H4 can be a standalone 4 track recorder (2 the first pass and then individual tracks after), but you sure have to punch some buttons and run through some menus, and find a headphone multiplier if more than one person at a time is recording/monitoring the original recording and the mix on second pass. If you are going to do multi-track, consider other options.

Well therein lies the difference between field recorders (which may be capable of recording additional tracks but with additional work) and a simple interface like the Lexicon Omega which allows up to 6 tracks at once, and more later. I prefer these to the old-school units, but not everyone does.

Therefore, perhaps a standalone unit which looks like a standard mixer and operates more old-school-style for doing multi track is going to do it for you.

Some are actually very functional and quite small. Some even have the CD burner built in.

rrgguitarman 02-22-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Simplicity is not part of multi-track recording
That is kind of what I thought.

It doesn't have to be a field recorder.

Quote:

the easiest way to do this is on the computer
I don't want to use the computer to record.

I want a stand alone unit.

Thanks for your input.

Dark Eyed Junko 02-22-2011 02:35 PM

This guy looks awesome. It's under 3 bills, intuitive, plenty of tracks to do what you want (but not too many to be overwhelming), exports to wav or mp3. The reviews are all pretty good.
I wish I had a use for it right now.

Tascam DP-008

FrankHS 02-22-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko (Post 2525300)
This guy looks awesome. It's under 3 bills, intuitive, plenty of tracks to do what you want (but not too many to be overwhelming), exports to wav or mp3. The reviews are all pretty good.

Tascam DP-008

My needs are similar to the OP, except I just want to be able to overdub a mistake (solo guitar) and add it to simple Youtubable vid. I've assumed this amounts to a second track, and extra software to mix it in--is that what Audacity does? If yes, would a H4n plus Audacity+PC be easier than trying to multitrack/overdub with just H4n?

Or is this all I need? (plus a mic I presume)
http://www.amazon.com/Tascam-DP-004-...ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Thanks!

Tele1111 02-22-2011 03:49 PM

I have purchased and used just about any recorder you can think of, from reel to reel to a 32 track digital recording stations. Field recorders included. For the OP, the little Boss Micro BR is a very easy and inexpensive introduction to multi tracking. User friendly, and as I said, quite easy to learn. The sound quality is very good, there are built in effects, a drum machine, tuner, and "std" mastering tools for ease of, well, mastering. Quite a lot for the money. This link will get you the details I've left out. And yes. I do own one.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...8&ParentId=325

FrankHS 02-22-2011 04:59 PM

Please disregard my previous question. I researched a bit, and sprang for the Tascam DP008 linked by earlier poster.
thanks,

K-vegas 02-22-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking about purchasing a small (inexpensive) digital recorder that will record to MP3 format.

Converting wav files to mp3 files is easy and free on your computer. I wouldn't limit my choice to only units that can record to mp3 format.

Quote:

I would like to be able to record the acoustic guitar and add an electric track and maybe my wife's voice on another, may even together? Does that make it a 2 track recorder?

You are talking 3 tracks here already. Just my opinion, but if you think you would like to record 4 tracks spend another $100 and get 8 tracks. The extra tracks will make your recording experience MUCH easier and simple.

One other thing you might consider... XLR microphone preamp input(s). I think I would want at least 2 if it was my only piece of recording gear.

I love the simplicity of multi-track recorders. I use a Yamaha 16 track 24bit console and I love the old time use of real button and meters. I could do without it but it was left here by a buddy and I've gotten lazy using it. I've never mixed down a song with it tho. I export the wav files to my computer and mix in Reaper.

BTW, the Tascam mentioned above looks like a winner to me at it's price point.

rrgguitarman 02-22-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Tascam DP-008

This looks kind of cool and it has the XLR inputs...nice.

rrgguitarman 02-24-2011 07:45 AM

Can someone tell me what this means?

"Stereo reverb effect on send/return path"

Does it mean that you can add reverb while recording or add after its recorded?
Thanks

Bob1131 02-25-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrgguitarman (Post 2527141)
Can someone tell me what this means?

"Stereo reverb effect on send/return path"

Does it mean that you can add reverb while recording or add after its recorded?
Thanks

I believe it means that the effects in/out (send/return) loop is stereo capable rather than mono. Stereo reverb is very nice and more realistic sounding to me, so I prefer it. I think most digital recorders have the ability to add reverb both during recording and after, but there might be some that don't.

FrankHS 02-25-2011 08:52 PM

My First Recording--next step please?

Quote:

Tascam DP-008

Ok, just received the new Tascam DP-008. I have a solo guitar tune recorded, mastered, and transferred to PC. (not sure in what format.) I also signed up at SoundClick thinking that is how I could share the tune and get some feedback or advice about improving recording quality.

The hitch right now is that Soundclick page is telling me it's for original or properly licensed music only. I suppose Leo Kottke's "Fisherman" is not properly licensed for me to play, therefore. What now? Is there a free place other than Youtube to legally upload a sound file that others can access?

BTW, the file supposedly goes to WAV format to get it on the PC, but it plays from one of those blue "bordered box player" graphics that I always thought was MP3. So where do I look to see what is the final file type?
Thanks for any help,
Frank HS

SimplyLuo 02-25-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHS (Post 2529102)
Ok, just received the new Tascam DP-008. I have a solo guitar tune recorded, mastered, and transferred to PC. (not sure in what format.) I also signed up at SoundClick thinking that is how I could share the tune and get some feedback or advice about improving recording quality.

The hitch right now is that Soundclick page is telling me it's for original or properly licensed music only. I suppose Leo Kottke's "Fisherman" is not properly licensed for me to play, therefore. What now? Is there a free place other than Youtube to legally upload a sound file that others can access?

BTW, the file supposedly goes to WAV format to get it on the PC, but it plays from one of those blue "bordered box player" graphics that I always thought was MP3. So where do I look to see what is the final file type?
Thanks for any help,
Frank HS

Box.net seems pretty cool, I've used it and it works well for sharing music with friends

Right click on the file and click properties. There should be a line that says "Type of file:"

rrgguitarman 02-25-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Ok, just received the new Tascam DP-008.
How do you like it?
Is it easy to use?

I'm thinking about buying this unit.

Thanks.