The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Headphones (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161913)

Bluewyatt 08-21-2009 09:26 PM

Headphones

I'm toying with my new sps-1 and I love the idea of setting the EQ through headphones so you send an accurate guitar sound to the board. The problem is that my headphones were state of the art 20 yrs ago. Any suggestions for an upgrade? Thanks always.
Bat

schooner 08-21-2009 11:03 PM

Check out the Shure SRH840s. I bought them locally two months ago for a great price. They are detailed and very accurate.

Here is a link to a thread I started right before bought them and there were some great replies: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=159743

At the time I was considering some Beyerdynamic DT770s. I saved a ton of dough and am thrilled with the Shures.

Bluewyatt 08-21-2009 11:09 PM

Thanks, Schooner. I'll check out the link right now. It's funny but I was just looking at those Beyer's.

rick-slo 08-21-2009 11:30 PM

One of the Grado headphones - terrific. I have the 125s and the 325s.

Bob Womack 08-22-2009 05:24 AM

Okay, I'll go into my little schtick and song and dance here. :D If you want headphones to record with, go with monitor headphones. I'm a recording engineer by trade. Two goals in designing headphones are different for monitor cans:

1. Ear comfort. It doesn't matter if the headphones sound great if, because of frequency spikes, they fatigue your ears after a short time.
2. When recording, you need accurate, rather than great sounding, monitors. A speaker that makes the most music sound great is often not the most accurate.

The standard in the industry is the AKG240. The current version is the 240s. Here''s my personal anecdote: The AKG240 sounds the most like our $6000 UREI recording monitors of all the many headphone designs I've encountered over my blah-blah-blah years of recording. They also can be comfortably worn for an entire shift of editing, something I can't say for any Beyer, Koss, Fostex, etc. headphone I've encountered.

Bob

Bluewyatt 08-22-2009 09:36 AM

Thanks, folks. Bob, I'm not an engineer and I just need them to set my eq accurately on the pendulum for live gigs. If I had read your post sooner I probably would have gotten the AKG's.
Greg Gualtieri had recommended the Beyer 770 Pro and I found a good price so I went with them.

Dr. Overtones 08-22-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewyatt (Post 1935560)
Thanks, folks. Bob, I'm not an engineer and I just need them to set my eq accurately on the pendulum for live gigs. If I had read your post sooner I probably would have gotten the AKG's.
Greg Gualtieri had recommended the Beyer 770 Pro and I found a good price so I went with them.

Which year/impedance did you get? They all sound different.

Bluewyatt 08-22-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones (Post 1935804)
Which year/impedance did you get? They all sound different.

Oops...I got the Pro-80's. From your handle I'm assuming you know what you're talking about. Do I need to watch out for any hype? Thanks.

Dr. Overtones 08-22-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewyatt (Post 1935817)
Oops...I got the Pro-80's. From your handle I'm assuming you know what you're talking about. Do I need to watch out for any hype? Thanks.

The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.

kramster 08-22-2009 04:05 PM

Liking my Sennheiser HD 280 pros

Bluewyatt 08-22-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones (Post 1935861)
The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.

what do you recommend?

Larry Pattis 08-22-2009 04:37 PM

Bat,

I would recommend jettisoning this idea.

:(

Whatever you're going to be hearing through the headphones will likely not resemble what is coming out of the house mains.

Bluewyatt 08-22-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Pattis (Post 1935901)
Bat,

I would recommend jettisoning this idea.

:(

Whatever you're going to be hearing through the headphones will likely not resemble what is coming out of the house mains.

Will it resemble the sound of my guitar if I match it as best I can?

Bluewyatt 08-22-2009 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Dr. Overtones;1935861]The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.[/Q]

What do you recommend? Mid price range? Thanks.

Dr. Overtones 08-22-2009 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Bluewyatt;1935938]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones (Post 1935861)
The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.[/Q]

What do you recommend? Mid price range? Thanks.

I'd go with the AKG's mentioned earlier. They're not perfect, but they'll do the job.

Otherwise, if you're okay with IEM's, get the Phonak Audeo PFE's, which I own and swear by. If you use the black filters, the freq response is very flat and should be good for EQ'ing. I like the gray filters for listening, though - they make the highs sparkle beautifully.