The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Another Pick-Guard Removal Question... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564447)

JayBee1404 11-22-2019 12:56 PM

Another Pick-Guard Removal Question...

I’m considering removing the pickguard from a guitar which is finished with two-pack acid-catalysed lacquer.

Does anyone have any experience of removing a pickguard from this kind of finish? Are there any pitfalls, things to look out for, things not to do? I’ve removed guards from Martin nitro-finish guitars, but never two-pack A/C lacquer, and I don’t want to mess things up!

jazzguy 11-22-2019 12:58 PM

I know nothing about the lacquer's etc. but unless the guitar is brand new, you almost certainly will have a visible "tan line" where the pickguard was located.

JayBee1404 11-22-2019 01:03 PM

Meant to say, I’ve removed several pickguards from guitars, and I know all about tan-lines! This is a brand new guitar, so tan-line shouldn’t be a problem, but thanks for pointing out the possibility.

ctvolfan 11-22-2019 01:14 PM

I removed one from a brand new Taylor 317e back in June and it already had a tan line. I have decided to sell it so I ordered a replacement pick guard and put it back on it. So just know you can always cover it back up if there is one.

tomcstokes59 11-22-2019 02:09 PM

Contact the guitar manufacturer

They may have a recommendation on what can be used. I have only done guitars with nitro finish

Ncbandit 11-22-2019 02:24 PM

Not sure about your finish but I recently removed mine from my new Eastman E1SS-LTD and had no problems. I took a hairy dryer for a few minutes and peeled it off. Than I took a small amount of WD-40 on a rag to get any residue off. All you can do is try and if your finish is affected buy another pick guard to cover it. I would bet you have no issues though.

JayBee1404 11-22-2019 04:27 PM

Apologies for starting this thread in the wrong section! :eek:

Really, my only worry is about, for instance, the possibility of a reaction of the finish to naphtha, heat etc. I’ve removed a number of pickguards from nitro finishes using naphtha, heat, etc, but this will be my first experience with two-pack A/C lacquer.

I’m not sure that I’m going to go ahead, just trying to take soundings on the experiences of anyone who’s removed pickguards from this kind of finish. If I go ahead, the decision whether or not to replace the pickguard will be taken when I see how it looks without.

mirwa 11-22-2019 07:48 PM

I just replied with photos on the other thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564442

Steve

JayBee1404 11-23-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6218709)
I just replied with photos on the other thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564442

Steve

Thanks Steve - was that guitar finished with the two-pack a/c lacquer I’m asking about, or is it nitro?

As I’ve said a couple of times, I’m well acquainted with removing and replacing pickguards on nitro-finished instruments, and I’ve used the heat, naphtha, and dental-floss methods in the past, but what I’m asking for is advice on removing a guard from a guitar finished with two-pack acid-catalysed lacquer - this is a finish that I have no previous experience of, and I’m just trying to find out if there are any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Thanks anyway for your post and the photos.

mirwa 11-23-2019 12:45 AM

If its 2 Pack, then its pretty well impervious to everything, acetone, thinners, any cleaning compound will not damage it

Just make sure you know exactly what the finish is before utilising any cleaning product

I never go by the manufacturer, I always test, you have no idea what has happened to that guitar from when it left the factory, including being new on a shelf in a music store

Steve

John Arnold 11-23-2019 05:16 AM

Naphtha is safe for any finish I have used it on. You may be able to rub off the glue and not use a solvent, but it can be hard on the fingertips. Remaining glue residue can be removed with a rubbing compound. I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.

JayBee1404 11-23-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirwa (Post 6218841)
If its 2 Pack, then its pretty well impervious to everything, acetone, thinners, any cleaning compound will not damage it Just make sure you know exactly what the finish is before utilising any cleaning product

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Arnold (Post 6218897)
Naphtha is safe for any finish I have used it on. You may be able to rub off the glue and not use a solvent, but it can be hard on the fingertips. Remaining glue residue can be removed with a rubbing compound. I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.

Thank you, Steve and John - much appreciated.
I’ve spoken to the builder already, so I know it’s 2-pack. If I decide to go ahead, I think I’ll use my wife’s hairdryer (don’t have one of my own - no hair to need drying!) 😱😂
Glad to hear that naphtha is a safe bet for cleanup once the guard’s off.