The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald for Acoustic Old Time jams and ITM Sessions? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667367)

BDAZ 03-29-2023 12:43 AM

Emerald for Acoustic Old Time jams and ITM Sessions?

Anyone play their Emerald acoustically at Old Time jams and festivals or for irish Sessions and Fleadhs.

I was able to borrow an X7 for a test at a regular advanced Jam with some of the best musicians in my neck of the woods and they were blown away, as was I. It was a quart of sound in a 1 pint package!

I am heading to Donegal next month to pick up an X7 and one other but not sure whether the X20 is suitable or the X30. I currently have a couple of CA legacy Dreadnaughts and my 1963 D-28 purchased new in '64. I have had my eye on Emerald since they started but I believe the have definitely cracked it!

Any comment on actual in the field experience will be much appreciated!

Bob
Tucson

BlueStarfish 03-29-2023 09:11 AM

I have an X20, which I’ve taken to a few local jams. The jams (or, at least the particular jam circles I hang with) tend to be 80% bluegrass and classic country, and only 20% Old Time — I like vocals and the hard core Old Time players around here seem to prefer to play music without vocals. Anyways, so far I’m pleased with the X20 for this purpose. The X20 has a nice solid bass, which is important for rhythm. It also as trebles with “cut” which is important for flatpicking. I’ve got one of the woody tops, and people seem to dig that, lots of comments and questions. Had a couple requests to try it out. I also like that the tuning is more stable through changes in weather than my wood guitars. I’m pretty pleased with X20 for this use and will continue to use it for jams going forward.

guitarwebguy 03-30-2023 01:25 PM

I play my X20-12 at several Celtic jams each month and it fits in great - I also get a lot of positive comments as to the look and sound

Pine Cone 03-31-2023 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarwebguy (Post 7220261)
I play my X20-12 at several Celtic jams each month and it fits in great - I also get a lot of positive comments as to the look and sound

I have played my X20 in both old time and bluegrass jams. I think it works well, but both groups contained folks that would rather have me playing a wooden guitar. More of a style issue than a sound issue. When I know temperatures are likely to be over 90 degrees I tend to bring my Emerald or Journey carbon fiber guitars with me.

My X20 has a LR Baggs Anthem SL and I have done amplified performances with it several times and people have commented on how good it sounds.

In my experience the general public is more accepting of carbon fiber guitars than either bluegrass or old time musicians.